Merida/progreso private driver

05mak05

Gustavo's fee was $35 per couple. We had to be back at the ship by 2:30 pm which made me plenty nervous as there is sometimes heavy traffic heading back to Progreso from Merida. Gustavo is with Progresso Taxi Cab so if you are in a group, he might be able to arrange for vans or provide more than one car. There were only 4 of us so one car was fine. Since we had been before, we didn't want to do the normal tour but instead wanted to buy the embroidered pillow covers and other linens. We emailed pictures of exactly what we wanted and he scouted stores for us before we arrived (without our asking!) so we were extremely impressed before we even met him. He picked us up at 8:30, we were in Progreso by 9:15 and stores don't open until 10 am. So he took us to the authentic Mexican market as he said he wanted us to see how the locals shopped. I wish it was legal to bring back spices as they were in huge bins and smelled so good. My friend and I each bought great dresses for $15 each. Then we went on to the shops around the market square. We walked to a small restaurant that Gustavo suggested but because it was a national holiday in Mexico and schools were out, it was packed. So if you want to enjoy a Yucatan Mexican meal, be sure to arrive at the restaurant early and shop later. The meal wasn't on our agenda anyway and we actually preferred to head back to Progreso. November 1st is Day of the Dead in Mexico. Gustavo offered to take us to a cemetary to see all of the gorgeous flowers and shrines on the graves but, again, this wasn't in our original plan and we felt we might be cutting it short. It's too bad the ship leaves so early.

• 2 weeks later...

Gustavo is a cabbie and his livelihood depends on providing quality service for his customers and I doubt very much he would leave someone stranded. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to feel 100% safe, stay on the boat or take ship organized trips with the rest of the folks and keep on the well-traveled path; just don't expect anything special or out of the ordinary.

• 5 years later...

I know this is a 5 year old post, but does anyone know if this guy still does private tours?? Or can anyone recommend smeone else they have used. We are a group of 4 who don't want to do the cruise line tours. We are also thinking of just hopping on the bus to Merida and touring on our own. Any suggections??

• 1 month later...