Liquor for Staterooms

jaguarstyper

I was cleaning up my laptop computer and stumbled on some info that seems to be discussed repeatedly on this board.

The following was a price list for 1 liter bottles of liquor that you can purchase for use in your stateroom:

https://home.comcast.net/~timothy.baker/liquor.htm

The following was a list of drink packages that could be purchased for use in your stateroom:

https://home.comcast.net/~timothy.baker/stateroombeveragepackage.htm

Any of these items can be pre-ordered from Ship Services and will be in your stateroom upon embarkation. Please keep in mind these lists are 1 year old and may be out of date.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Tim

We simply carried aboard bottles of liquor from all 3 ports in a bookbag.. on only 1 of the 3 days did a security person ask me if I had any liquor (as if he couldn't see the bottles in the x-ray machine).. with as straight a face as possible I said "no" and up to my room it all went..

by the end of the cruise I had 4 open bottles of liquor that I didn't feel like packing in the luggage so I left them for our Room Steward with a note thanking him when we disembarked.. Hope he was allowed to have them

Thanks for your post. We are sailing in November and plan to buy a bottle for husband so he can mix his own drink in our cabin. I usually carry on some wine, but being able to buy a bottle to be delivered is great.

You can also go to any bar tender on the ship and a buy a bottle of whatever you want.

The alcohol prices have gone up slightly since those lists were posted about a year ago. The Ship Service price now includes a 15% gratuity.

For example, a bottle of Absolt now costs about $28 through ship services. On the ship they will charge you $25 and then add on the 15% gratuity.

You can also go to any bar tender on the ship and a buy a bottle of whatever you want.

That wouldn't seem to be the case by reading their website. It says

"Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage."

I took that to mean any liquor purchased in their onboard liquor store and at bars. Does it only apply to liquor purchased in the shop, but you can still buy a bottle at the bar?? I'm so confused! :confused:

Thanks in advance!

TinaLee (the HAL newbie) :o

Well, this sort of bums me out. My husband is fond of small batch and specialty boubons, like Bakers and Knob Creek and such. I was really hoping to be able to indulge him when we sail on in August, and I'm not sure how happy he'll be with Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. I guess we can try to smuggle something on like tree25, but I don't have much of a poker face, especially as we'll also be carrying on a case of wine. I guess I'll play it by ear. Thanks for the info!

- terri

"Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage."

It all depends on what you can get away with and how far you are willing to go with a fib. I could never say "no" if I was asked (and did have the liquor.) It would be mortifying to fib and then have the security open up your back pack. :eek:

Thanks for the list!

I took that to mean any liquor purchased in their onboard liquor store and at bars.

That only refers to stuff bought in the duty-free shop.

Well, this sort of bums me out. My husband is fond of small batch and specialty boubons, like Bakers and Knob Creek and such

And you'll find a good selection in all of the lounges as well as in the duty-free shop.

It all depends on what you can get away with and how far you are willing to go with a fib.

And here I thought you were a nice, law-abiding person. When we book passage on a cruise we agree to abide by the ship's rules. Some of those rules are in place for business reasons but some are in place for safety reasons. Once you've decided to evade the rules on liquor it's that much easier to evade the other rules, if they happen to be "inconvenient." Let's try to keep it a fun - and safe - vacation for everybody.

Thanks for the answer on there being some good bourbon on board, Dave. Would you happen to know if I could order a bottle for our suite? I'd like to surprise my husband. Of course, he can order his bourbon every night, but I just think it'd be cool to have something waiting for him. I suppose I should just call HAL. But thanks for the info!

-terri

Thanks for the answer on there being some good bourbon on board, Dave. Would you happen to know if I could order a bottle for our suite? I'd like to surprise my husband. Of course, he can order his bourbon every night, but I just think it'd be cool to have something waiting for him. I suppose I should just call HAL. But thanks for the info!

-terri

Call ships' services and pre-order for the best selection. I'm sure they'll be able to get you just about anything you'd like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Island Lady

It all depends on what you can get away with and how far you are willing to go with a fib.

Originally Posted by dakrewser

And here I thought you were a nice, law-abiding person. When we book passage on a cruise we agree to abide by the ship's rules. Some of those rules are in place for business reasons but some are in place for safety reasons. Once you've decided to evade the rules on liquor it's that much easier to evade the other rules, if they happen to be "inconvenient." Let's try to keep it a fun - and safe - vacation for everybody.

Dave - If you will re-read my OP, you will understand that I was not referring to myself. I said I could never tell a lie about bringing something onboard. I was referring to the poster that would.;)

Dave - If you will re-read my OP, you will understand that I was not referring to myself. I said I could never tell a lie about bringing something onboard. I was referring to the poster that would.;)

My deepest apologies.....:o

-dave

"I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message."

That only refers to stuff bought in the duty-free shop.

And you'll find a good selection in all of the lounges as well as in the duty-free shop.

This liquor policy is 100% about gouging us for excessive profit and has 0% to do with safety.. Holland America does not need our contributions they are doing well enough..

They don't allow outside liquor onboard simply because they make a killing overcharging you for their own.. If it was a safety issue they wouldn't sell you the same bottles you can bring in from port for 3x's as much and have them delivered to your room.. There is no limit on how many you can buy from them so surely it is not a safety issue..

Pretty soon they won't allow cameras onboard either so people won't be able to take their own pictures and we will be forced to purchase all of theirs at $21.95 each

makes no sense

This liquor policy is 100% about gouging us for excessive profit and has 0% to do with safety.. Holland America does not need our contributions they are doing well enough..

They don't allow outside liquor onboard simply because they make a killing overcharging you for their own.. If it was a safety issue they wouldn't sell you the same bottles you can bring in from port for 3x's as much and have them delivered to your room.. There is no limit on how many you can buy from them so surely it is not a safety issue..

Please re-read my posting, I did not say that the liquor policy had anything to do with safety issues. What I said was that folks who violate the liquor policy tend to also feel that safety policies don't apply to them.

Archived