Best way to get from Gatwick to Southampton

mmwc

We are boarding a ship on June 15 and arriving at Gatwick on June 13th can anyone tell us the best and easiest way to get to Southampton? We are staying in the area for 2 nights before boarding.

We will be flying out of Gatwick on the 30th any suggestions as to hotels bear the airport?

with many thanks

Midge

We are boarding a ship on June 15 and arriving at Gatwick on June 13th can anyone tell us the best and easiest way to get to Southampton?
Much depends on what you mean by "best".

Personally, I would take the train direct from Gatwick to Southampton Central, and then a cab to your Southampton hotel.

It would be probably more comfortable if a white-gloved chauffeur met you at the airport with a large Rolls-Royce, and you could be dropped off at your hotel without having to change your mode of transport. But that would be much more expensive. A less comfortable car could be cheaper, but not as cheap as the train.

So "best" is really up to you.

We will be flying out of Gatwick on the 30th any suggestions as to hotels bear the airport?
How many nights will you be staying? If it's more than one, then there's little point staying at Gatwick.

If it's only one, my suggestion would be the Sofitel, whichever terminal you're flying from. I personally think it's easier to get from the Sofitel (at the North Terminal) to the check-in area at the South Terminal than it is to get there from the Hilton (at the South Terminal).

Much depends on what you mean by "best".

Personally, I would take the train direct from Gatwick to Southampton Central, and then a cab to your Southampton hotel.

It would be probably more comfortable if a white-gloved chauffeur met you at the airport with a large Rolls-Royce, and you could be dropped off at your hotel without having to change your mode of transport. But that would be much more expensive. A less comfortable car could be cheaper, but not as cheap as the train.

So "best" is really up to you.How many nights will you be staying? If it's more than one, then there's little point staying at Gatwick.

If it's only one, my suggestion would be the Sofitel, whichever terminal you're flying from. I personally think it's easier to get from the Sofitel (at the North Terminal) to the check-in area at the South Terminal than it is to get there from the Hilton (at the South Terminal).

Thanks very much for this, Globaliser. Doubtless the chauffeured Roller would be preferable, but I suspect the train is more likely in our future. Thanks also for the tips about the hotel(s)

I gave up the Rolls when I got the helicopter. Really the only way to go, and it drops me at the port right next to the ship.

You are right in saying that the direct train is a nice relaxing 2 hr ride (hourly from LGW to Southampton), and often discount deals can be had on Southern Railway's website. While there are faster trains, they involve changing at Clapham Junction, which isn't a pleasant prospect.

And, for those that really want to know; this is what 2nd class looks like. Plenty comfy for me: http://snafu.ca/train.jpg (taken going Southampton->Gatwick)

We are boarding a ship on June 15 and arriving at Gatwick on June 13th can anyone tell us the best and easiest way to get to Southampton? We are staying in the area for 2 nights before boarding.

with many thanks

Midge

We flew into Gatwick last year for our Baltic cruise. We purchased train tickets on line at

http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/offers/

If you purchase in advance you can get a price of 8 pounds. It was very easy. We took a taxi from southampton station to the Holiday Inn. The next day we walked to the cruise terminal. Post cruise we took the train back with our pre purchased tickets to London. We stayed a few days in London before we flew home. The train was easy and comfortable.

I tried looking at that site, and they only go as far as April for schedules. Our cruise in Aug

Just keep checking until the August schedule comes out. Our cruise was in July and I think I was able to purchase our tickets around April.

I tried looking at that site, and they only go as far as April for schedules.
Just keep checking until the August schedule comes out. Our cruise was in July and I think I was able to purchase our tickets around April.
European (including UK) railway bookings usually open three months before travel. That's why April for July is exactly right. For an August booking, there is absolutely no need to start looking until the appropriate date in May.

Was just curious about getting from Heathrow to Southampton ...
Don't forget that Heathrow is not Gatwick. There is no reasonable train route from Heathrow to Southampton; if you want to go by public transport, the National Express coach is probably the least hassle.
... and then back to Greenich after the cruise.
It partly depends on where exactly in Greenwich you are going. One scenic method, if you have good rolling luggage and don't mind walking 10-15 minutes or so with it, would be to take the train to Waterloo, walk to the London Eye pier and then take the Thames Clippers fast ferry to Greenwich. But there would inevitably be a walk at the Greenwich end.

Alternatively, probably best to walk from Waterloo to Waterloo East and get on a train to London Bridge, then change again for a train to Greenwich.

Thank you, everyone, for the excellent suggestions. You have made our planning much easier. Now, if we could just persuade scottbee to lend us his helicopter...

As you can see, while I enjoy the helicopter, I also enjoy the train

Archived