Disney FANTASY begins construction...sort of

dmwnc1959

The Disney Fantasy, which will be built in the same current drydock as the Celebrity SILHOUETTE and is due to make her Maiden Voyage in approximately 14 months, had her 'keel block section' floated in from outside the builders hall. The Celebrity SILHOUETTE was temporarily floated out of the builders hall, then back in, so that this new hull section of the Disney Fantasy could be positioned into the drydock.

Silhoutte.jpg

Since these ships really dont have keels 'per se' anymore it would be the first main block for the Disney newbuild. Sometimes this first section is so very large that it is easier to float it in than to try and get it in through the builders hall opening on the opposite end or side of the building like they do for the other smaller module sections of the hull and superstructure.

If you look HERE they did the same thing after the Disney Dream was floated out; the stern block of the Celebrity SILHOUETTE was floated in. In this case since the Celebrity newbuild is mostly complete regarding her hull length and superstructure, a larger section of the drydock will be sectioned off for the Disney newbuild and she can begin her construction with little interruption until again, she is floated back to begin the construction of the Celebrity REFLECTION.

Look at this most recent webcam grab of the inside of Hall 6 of Meyer Werft.

repo.jpg

That which you see in front of the Celebrity SILHOUETTE is not the floor of the drydock but the first new hull section of the new Disney Fantasy floating in front of the Celebrity SILHOUETTE. You can see that the Celebrity SILHOUETTE is still afloat in water, as is the hull block of the Disney newbuild. They will attach the bow of the Celebrity newbuild after the Disney block is moved more forward and the dock is drained and sectioned off.

In this thread you can see the similar events that happened last year for the Disney Dream, her stern section floated in after the Celebrity ECLIPSE was floated out, the continued construction and eventual floatback of the DREAM, etc.

Start around Post 11 down to Post 15:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1250246

The "keel laying" ceremony is scheduled for tomorrow (Feb 3); if it follows the script used for Dream, execs of DCL and Meyer Werft, along with the Master of the Fantasy and a Disney character or two will lay a commemorative coin in the hull, as in the photos below.

Which raises questions:

Which of the current Captains do you suppose will be named the Master of the Fantasy ? :confused:

And which character will grace the stern of the ship, tending to the task of painting the ship's name ?

0826AR_0201DZ_Captain___Donald_JPG_73221_500w.jpg.c9bb7248ecd9faf116e3e2e1144219f4.jpg

140077767_Hullcoin.jpg.6814f92d7ecc76a0bcdb5af8321c818b.jpg

Anybody know if the keel laying occurred on the 3rd or not? :confused:

Haven't seen a thing from either DCL or Meyer Werft.

Nothing on the DCL press site: http://www.disneycruisenews.com/HomePage.aspx?PageId=704bf1a3-8ebc-48ba-80f0-8663b900ab50

Did you ever notice how you have fewer photos of your second child?

Sure enough - the ceremony was held today at Meyer Werft. Coin was placed by Karl Holz and Minnie Mouse; no Master of the ship in sight.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1851

I'm somewhat surprised that DCL hasn't been crowing about it yet. :confused: Maybe Host Mick is right about the "second child syndrome".

Sure enough - the ceremony was held today at Meyer Werft. Coin was placed by Karl Holz and Minnie Mouse; no Master of the ship in sight.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1851

I'm somewhat surprised that DCL hasn't been crowing about it yet. :confused: Maybe Host Mick is right about the "second child syndrome".

Perhaps the PR department is exhausted from the Disney Dream hoopla. They're all on vacation leaving Minnie in charge.

Hmmmm, Is Minnie going to be on the transom???

Disney Fantasy (black hull section and white balcony partitions can be seen) begins to rise in fron of the Celebrity SILHOUETTE

dd2.jpg

All alongside the Celebrity SILHOUETTE pre-built modulated sections of the Disney Fantasy can be seen including the forward superstructure portion that lays just beneath the bridge. That module piece is at the back of the row and the round porthole windows visible.

Sil1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In the large picture above, any ideas on what the foremost block (the one with what looks like several 'tiers' above an open section) might be? :confused:

Looks like more blocks are being added. Yesterday's webcam picture:

2-28-11.jpg.478a3d1c55f73d9d746ef9e0faa7b973.jpg

In the large picture above, any ideas on what the foremost block (the one with what looks like several 'tiers' above an open section) might be? :confused:

Looks like more blocks are being added. Yesterday's webcam picture:

That looks like it may be the Walt Disney Theater. 3 decks high, sloped seating and holes in it for the stage lifts.

It looks like they've added the final hull section on the Silhouette since the photo at the top of this thread.

Well from today's web cam shot, she appears to be moving along rather quickly. Of course the block cunstruction method does help speed things up. I susspect that by late summer she will really look like the beauty she is destined to be.:)

• 3 weeks later...

We will visit the Meyer Werft in July, my mom is buying us tickets for Easter. I really really hope that we will get to see the Fantasy!

I always knew there had to be an advantage in having been born in the middle of nowhere, close to Papenburg :D

Feb. 18th: Disney Fantasy (black hull section and white balcony partitions can be seen) begins to rise in fron of the Celebrity SILHOUETTE

dd2.jpg

Webcam image of Disney Fantasy March 28, 2011 under construction in front of the nearly completed Celebrity Silhouette:

qqq.jpg

Webcam image of Disney Fantasy March 28, 2011 under construction in front of the nearly completed Celebrity Silhouette:

qqq.jpg

Notice the white section at the far right, behind the crane - - that appears to be the block that ends up just below the bridge of the ship.

I've emailed these folks periodically after 2 weeks lapse without an image update to give them a kick in the pants reminder. Guess I better get ready to send another one? ;)

Yep - - Fire up the 'puter. I've been considering doing the same thing, but my Deutsch is terrible. :rolleyes:

Notice the white section at the far right, behind the crane - - that appears to be the block that ends up just below the bridge of the ship.

Yep - - Fire up the 'puter. I've been considering doing the same thing, but my Deutsch is terrible. :rolleyes:

It is, and they understand English enough from me emails to update the webcam. Since it's suppose to auto update every Monday lets give them another day then fire off an email, shall we? ;)

Not sure if you e-mailed them or not, but apparently now they're PO'ed at us DCL fans. A new pic is now posted, but they've shifted the camera so most of what you see is Celebrity Silhouette and just a small portion of Fantasy. :(

4-13-11.jpg.b4e797c4f9b147401e01aca17d1b10e0.jpg

Not sure if you e-mailed them or not, but apparently now they're PO'ed at us DCL fans. A new pic is now posted, but they've shifted the camera so most of what you see is Celebrity Silhouette and just a small portion of Fantasy. :(

All the DCL fans are grinding down their bandwidth.

Refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh... c'mon, finish her already! Hey you, on deck 6, get back to work!

Archived