Disney FANTASY begins construction...sort of

dmwnc1959

Now that she has both stacks, does anyone know if she has an attached bow. The Disney Dream did not have one until she was floated backwards inside the builders shed after the Celebrity Eclipse had been floated out.

If you watch the youtube video (earlier post) you will see them assembling to bow.

We will visit the Meyer Werft in July, my mom is buying us tickets for Easter. I really really hope that we will get to see the Fantasy!

I always knew there had to be an advantage in having been born in the middle of nowhere, close to Papenburg :D

We are going to visit the Meyer Werft on Saturday :D I am so excited!

Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

Sooooooo.... where are the pictures ?? :confused:

If you watch the youtube video (earlier post) you will see them assembling to bow.

They did the same thing for the Disney Dream, pre-assembled the bow off site. However it was not attached until the ship was floated back closer to the shed exit.

Because the Celebrity Eclipse and Disney Dream were being built at the same time in the shed there was not enough room to attached the latters bow. I'm going to assume that the Disney Fantasy also does not have her bow attached although it may already be assembled and waiting outside the shed or behind the ship sitting in the dry dock.

In this panorama (smaller version was previously posted above) you can see a Disney new-build in the dock, the stern completed, and the bulbous bow sitting awaiting attachment.

df21.jpg

df4.jpg

In this panorama you can see the builders shed exit door and the part of the pre-assembled bow of the Disney ship sitting in the dry dock

df31.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the new family splash area and wading pool will def help disperse some of the "crowdedness" of deck 11. Even though it is taking away from some of the lounge chair area on deck 12 I don't see that being a huge issue. I think it may even alleviate the aquaduck lines as well. I wonder if kids in diapers will be allowed in either of these areas?! I think too, it will take some of the older, more rowdy children from Nemo's as they would probably prefer the AquaLab.

We never used the pool on the Dream, we only did a 3 night and there was so much else to cram in :) Add to that my son was still in diapers. We did do the Duck and Nemo's, however. My son is potty trained now so I don't have any worries with that aspect so we will be happy to test all the pool spots out next Sept!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there Nauticalmiss,

*Float out* is really the launching. the new building systems, (EI in a drydock warehouse) simply means that most of the heavy construction is completed and the hull water tight. The drydock is flooded and the Fantasy is floating.

The big barn warehouse doors are opened and the drydock gates as well. The Fanstasy with be gently towing out of her dryodcok into the shipyard basin and moored to the final construction dock where the last of her work will be completed and lots of vessel/system tests performed.

AKK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
And a new picture today. Anybody know which ship is being built in front of Fantasy ?

20111124_b.jpg

Celebrity Reflection.

Disney and Celebrity have been leap frogging each other in this bay for the last three years. The four most recent ships are: Disney Dream (construction began August 2009, floated out in Oct 2010), Celebrity Silhouette (construction began Feb 2010, floated out in May 2011), Disney Fantasy (construction began Feb 2011, float out scheduled for Jan 2012), Celebrity Reflection (construction began April 2011, float out scheduled for August 2012). Next in line will be NCL's Breakaway.

• 2 weeks later...
This may be a stupid question but what is the "Nassau" under 'Disney Fantasy' for?

Not stupid at all. Many cruise ships are flagged (registered) in the Bahamas for tax purposes and in order to sidestep more stringent regulations that would apply if they were flagged in the actual country of their owners. Maritime law requires that the country of registration be shown on the stern under the ship's name.

Wikipedia gives a pretty good explanation of the so-called "flag of convenience" business strategy.

All four Disney ships are flagged in Nassau, as are quite a few ships of the other major cruise lines.

Not stupid at all. Many cruise ships are flagged (registered) in the Bahamas for tax purposes and in order to sidestep more stringent regulations that would apply if they were flagged in the actual country of their owners. Maritime law requires that the country of registration be shown on the stern under the ship's name.

Wikipedia gives a pretty good explanation of the so-called "flag of convenience" business strategy.

All four Disney ships are flagged in Nassau, as are quite a few ships of the other major cruise lines.

A slight clarification. The name of the home port city is put on the transom. Another common name seen on transoms is Monrovia, the capital of Liberia.

The bahamas has the tenth largest merchant marine fleet in the world with 1170 ships registered there. This includes 100 passenger ships.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bf.html

Mickey, you are absolutely correct. It is the home port CITY that is shown on the transom. Senior moment on my part. :o

For example, Queen Mary II displays Southampton, not "England" or "United Kingdom".

My bad.

Archived