Louisbourg – Rental car or ship’s tour?

We will be in Sydney on Friday June 24th from 1:00 to 7:00, We have three of us who want to visit the Fortress of Louisbourg. Given our limited amount of time, is it better to rent a car or take the ship’s tour? The tour departs at 2:00 for $59pp. Enterprise will pick us up a the pier. Cost for the car (with tax) is about $59 plus gas. Entrance fee is $17.60pp.

What is the best option? If everything runs smooth, the rental car could get a little more time at the fort, and save us a few dollars. If there are any snafus with the car, we could lose all of the time advantage. I am leaning towards the ship’s tour, but if anyone has advice, please share.

It is your call.

In favour of renting: you will get to go for about two thirds the ships cost and have more time and flexibility. It is about a 45 minute drive and would not be difficult. You could get off the ship and on the road well before the bus leaves. If you have a phone number for the rental company, you should be fine. The Fortress closes at five which gives you lots of time to get back. You would even have time to wander around the town of Louisbourg.

One great experience to look for at Louisbourg is to eat at one of the restaurants which serves food as it would have been in 1744.

Listen to MaryAnn in Nova Scotia there.

She hits the nail on the head well.

Your very lucky as the Fort when you are scheduled may have a full complement of staffing.

It looks as when we are there, scheduled Thursday May 19th it will not be staffed well.

What a beautiful area around the Fort too. I wish they still had that very important railroad running.

You know about that and in Ringwood Manor?

While I can't say what I'll see....but I'm taking HAL's tour to Louisbourg for 11 May.

The problem is, NOTHING is open in early May. The living history programs don't kick off until June. I thought about Cabot Trail, but much of that isn't open until June.

Keltic Lodge opens in June. The Same with Highland Village at Bras D'or Lakes.

This is my tour.... which states..."not in May". I called HAL and they reassured me that this one is going !

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=1265&portCode=YQY&destCode=N&requestSource=shoreExcursions

Crazy !

• 3 weeks later...

I did the tour in May and now I'm back.

The site does open for tour groups by "special arrangement".

We did have re-enacters. The only down side was the cold rainy weather.

• 4 weeks later...

;)We were in Sydney on a HAL cruise on June 8. We reserved a rental car with Enterprise. They picked us up on the pier at 8:45, drove us to their location, took care of the paper work qiickly, and we were on our way. We shared the rental with another couple through the cruise critic roll call.

We were at the Fortress of Louisbourg by 9:40. It was an easy ride, all highway with lots of directional signs. The car cost about $49.00 US., which we split with the other couple and the gas was about $12.00, split again. So the transportation cost $31.00 per couple, very reasonable!

There was a wonderful tour by their guide at 10:30 which lasted over an hour. Then we went around through all the buildings on our own, and conversed with all the reenactors. Most interesting!!! Each building and site has lots to read and hand phones with information.

We were there for 4 hours - so much better and longer than the ship's tour. The weather was cool and cloudy and more windy along the water.

An all-weather jacket with a hood kept us comfortable.

I definitely recommend doing this. We were back on the ship before 3:00.

It was a very interesting, informative day with no hassles.

Nikki

I ditto the others -- been to all the nb and ns ports -- take the rental car -- much more time to enjoy the sites -- is lessssss money -- no hassle from tour guide (get on bus we have to go - I don't care if u want more time - I have a schedule) lol. -- I have rented cars in Mexico with no problem - canada is a breeze -- lovey people

G@ry

The ship tour was very good in my opinion. The only problem we encountered was the weather. Nothing anyone can do about that. The reenactors were wonderful to talk with and everything seemed organized for our visit.

If one wishes to rent a car, then go for it. In no way am I attempting to change anyone's mind. It's just that I find ship tours to be easy/convenient, informative, well organized, and the camaraderie adds to the enjoyment.

We are in port from 1 - 7 and with it being a 40 minute drive each way, finding a parking place, not to mention waiting to buy your tickets and then I have read they have to shuttle you up to the fort from the parking lot and then back to your car, I am afraid that is cutting it to short. I would much rather rent a car, and usually do for this type of thing, but anyone who is in port for only 6 hours and you may as well say 5 1/2 hours because you have to be back at 6:30 would probably be better off taking the ships tour. I hope to make it back here again so we can rent a car. This time we are taking the ships tour. To afraid of missing that ship. We are renting a car in Charlottetown though. Just glad to be going.:) Thanks Thoth for that info on the tour you took since we are taking the same one and thanks everyone else for the info.

We are in port from 1 - 7 and with it being a 40 minute drive each way, finding a parking place, not to mention waiting to buy your tickets and then I have read they have to shuttle you up to the fort from the parking lot and then back to your car, I am afraid that is cutting it to short. I would much rather rent a car, and usually do for this type of thing, but anyone who is in port for only 6 hours and you may as well say 5 1/2 hours because you have to be back at 6:30 would probably be better off taking the ships tour. I hope to make it back here again so we can rent a car. This time we are taking the ships tour. To afraid of missing that ship. We are renting a car in Charlottetown though. Just glad to be going.:) Thanks Thoth for that info on the tour you took since we are taking the same one and thanks everyone else for the info.

Another point is the security issue. If you are on their tour, they will have to wait .

That has happened to me on more than one occasion where we were the last group back, but since we were on a ship tour...they waited.

Good luck and I'm sure your weather will be vastly better than what I encountered. 40's & rain.

Thanks everyone for the information. We are going to opt for the ship's tour for the same reasons outlined by smitty3000. If we were in port a little longer, the car rental would be a no brainer. But with the short time in port, we will try the tour. This is the only one of our 6 ports where we will do a ship tour. I'll let everyone know how it worked out when we get back.

Thanks everyone for the information. We are going to opt for the ship's tour for the same reasons outlined by smitty3000. If we were in port a little longer, the car rental would be a no brainer. But with the short time in port, we will try the tour. This is the only one of our 6 ports where we will do a ship tour. I'll let everyone know how it worked out when we get back.

enjoy !

I'm sure will anyway.

Archived