Help!! I need a new camera

I would like to get a new point and shoot camera for my Med cruise. I want a good zoom, fast shutter speed, at least 12 megapixels at $200 or less. I am not likely to use alot of fancy features; I just want great quality pictures. I am driving myself silly trying to read reviews online. Any personal recommendations are appreciated!

I would like to get a new point and shoot camera for my Med cruise. I want a good zoom, fast shutter speed, at least 12 megapixels at $200 or less. I am not likely to use alot of fancy features; I just want great quality pictures. I am driving myself silly trying to read reviews online. Any personal recommendations are appreciated!

I paid $349 for my Sony HX5V a little over a year ago. New model releases have driven the price under $200 but it is still available new from Amazon.

Awesome little camera.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX5V-Digital-Stabilization/dp/B00328HR76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310201234&sr=8-1

Link to a sample gallery I posted when I first got it: http://galleries.pptphoto.com/sony_hx5v

If that doesn't float your boat, any Canon Powershot around the $200 mark will serve you well.

Dave

Almost any offering by any of the majors in that price range is going to give you what you are looking for. What you get for with spending more money is usually better performance in the fringe areas, i.e. low light, and so on. For a cruise, perhaps a feature you might want to consider is a waterproof camera. At the $200 price point, your selection is going to be limited, but there may be a couple of cameras in your price range. As many cruises include beach or water activities, this might be something to think about.

Used to be that some fringe brands of low-cost cameras had plastic rather than glass for their lenses, but I am sure those have all but disappeared. Still, for less popular brands, I'd want to confirm it.

MegaPixel count is often over-emphasized, and I would look for something in the 10~12MegaPixel range, which seems to be the ideal compromise for Point & Shoots at the current time.

In the past, I found it hard to recommend Sony, Fuji, or Olympus as they used a different memory stick, but these days use the defacto standard SD/SDHC/SDXC cards.

However, I cannot know every camera manufacturer's offering, so I cannot say if some models are still manufactured without the capability to use SD cards, so if you want one of these brands, you might want to make sure they take SD cards.

Performance-wise, it matters little what memory card you use, but since you have a budget in mind, you don't want to have to spend $50 or $100 on new cards. Of course, this is assuming you already have some SD cards - if you don't, the point is probably moot.

Also, some manufacturers have store outlets whereby you can purchase refurbished cameras. A refurbished camera - at least from the manufacturer - is not simply a return, but usually an in-warranty repair. But you can obtain a camera for 25% less (or more). But typically the warranty may only be 90 days. I have purchased refurbished point & shoots before, and have been happy with them, and I would not hesitate to do so again. I look at it like - well, yea they have been repaired - but they are probably brought up to spec better than a production line model (and certainly no worse). I probably would not buy a DSLR refurbished, but I did also recently buy a $850 refurbished lens, so my risk factor is improving.

Condition-wise, all of the refurbished products I have purchased are indistinguishable from new.

You can sometimes buy refurbished models from the major camera dealers (Adorama, B&H, KEH, etc). They are typically listed in the used section, and sometimes referred to as "white box"; as, well, at least in Nikon's case - they come in a white box. I'd be careful though about buying "refurbished" cameras from dealers without knowing if they were refurbished by the manufacturer or dealer (i.e. grey market refurbished).

Speaking of grey market, some dealers sell these cameras. A grey market is when a large dealer directly imports goods from the over-seas manufacturer, bypassing the USA distributor. Consequently, while the item will often be the same, the warranty will not be the same (sometimes model numbers are different). The warranty will be from the dealer, not the manufacturer, so you have to return the camera directly to the place you bought it from. Even post warranty, the USA distributor may refuse to do any repair work on the camera - even though you would pay for the work. Then there is the issue of firmware updates... I usually avoid buying grey market as you usually only save a few dollars - not worth the risk in my view.

But before buying refurbished, just do a little research and some math. Make sure the refurbished price is the lowest price you can find, and whether the discount is significant enough to be worth your while. On occasion, I have seen refurbished cameras listed for more $$$ than new ones.

Just my recommendation - it might give you an idea or two.

Just to clarify, I am stating that SD card capability would be important to me. Each person will have to decide whether or not it would be important to them.

However, as I also stated, I believe just about all of the manufacturers have gone to SD capability, so again, probably a moot point. I'd want to check and confirm it though, depending on the camera brand I was considering - which is what I did when I purchased my Olympus 8010.

Camers come now in all shapes, sizes, prices and capbility. This is a good starting point: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

IMHO don't get hung on on how many megapixels.

Zoom: that is more about angle of view / magnification. If you think you'll take a lot of wide angle pay attention to the wide side and the equavalent 35mm focal lenght. If taking telephoto is important than the long side and the equavalent focal length there is important. People market 3x, 5x, 10x, but the starting focal length is very important.

Fast shutter speed: That is more dependent on what ISO and aperture you have and lighting conditions.

Pixels: Believe it or not I think 8, 10, 12, blah blah blah, in todays camera it really doesn't matter too much.

FWIW the difference among 200 dollar cameras are small. All the major manufactures in the price range are a toss up.

Almost any offering by any of the majors in that price range is going to give you what you are looking for. What you get for with spending more money is usually better performance in the fringe areas, i.e. low light, and so on. For a cruise, perhaps a feature you might want to consider is a waterproof camera. At the $200 price point, your selection is going to be limited, but there may be a couple of cameras in your price range. As many cruises include beach or water activities, this might be something to think about.

To the OP, if you want to spend under $200.00 and get a waterproof camera, the one that I picked up today is the Fuji XP20 which has 14MP, 28mm wide 5 x zoom. The best price I could find was at Kmart (either on-line or in the store) for $149.00.

I will likely purchase the accessories pack from B&H in the next couple of days which is $18.99 for case, silicone case, and floating strap. I have seen the batteries on line (it is good to have an extra) through Amazon (NP-45) from anywhere from $7.00 and up to $30.00 (maybe $10.00 with shipping). Again, I was looking for a waterproof P&S for under $200.00 and have always liked the Fuji brand. I did not bother with an extended warranty as I paid with Am Ex and they double the manufacturers warranty.

SD card was important to me too as the biggest problem with my Fuji F30 (circa 2005) was that is uses xD cards.

You might be asking for more than what $200 would buy. Faster shutter speed will be the hardest at that price point.

the closest camera to what you are looking for is the Sony DSC-H70.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H70/H70A.HTM

Dave says:

Overall, the Sony H70 does fairly well for its price, though it's not quite on par with what we'd expect from a 16-megapixel camera thanks to the noise suppression that starts to blur detail even in the lowest ISO images. We recommend staying below ISO 1,600 for the best image quality.

$188 at buydig (I have used them before)

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SNDSCH70B&omid=122&utm_id=17&ref=pricegrabber&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cpc

....you can purchase refurbished cameras. ......for 25% less (or more). But typically the warranty may only be 90 days.....Condition-wise, all of the refurbished products I have purchased are indistinguishable from new

You can sometimes buy refurbished models from the major camera dealers (Adorama, B&H, KEH, etc). They are typically listed in the used section, and sometimes referred to as "white box"; as, well, at least in Nikon's case - they come in a white box........

All refurbished units sold by Adorama Camera are factory refurbished by the manufacturer, for example, Canon cameras are refurbished at their manufacturing plant in Newport News, VA.; the room that houses Canon’s entire refurb process is said to be completely dust-free, and with every employee working in there being required to wear special booties!

They can have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if it hasn't passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used.

A refurb may also be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment). All refurbished items will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

All Canon refurbished products from Adorama come with a 1 year return-to-Adorama warranty; the warranty we give covers anything the manufacturers warranty covers for a new unit, including shutter defects. And yes, the Canon also come in a white box (I have one, myself!)All other refurbs sold by Adorama come with a 90-day return-to-manufacturer warranty.

In addition, Refurbs come into us with the firmware updates and latest fixes which were carried out at whatever stage it was at when we took delivery. If you need additional firmware updates you can download them, but for any hardware fixes the unit would have to be sent to Canon.

[by the way, if you send a camera (any camera) to Canon for any hardware work, they will always update the firmware].

As to the individual history of a single item, the honest answer is we have no way of knowing. Refurbished equipment is not like new inventory; the manufacturers contact us when they have a batch to sell, and the availability is unpredictable. However, if you were to ask my personal opinion on whether the equipment that Adorama offers as refurbished is typically less than a year old, based on the regularity with which we receive batches, I'd be inclined to think it is all relatively new.

BTW our refurbs are not found in our used department, because they aren't used!

A grey market is when a large dealer directly imports goods from the over-seas manufacturer, bypassing the USA distributor. [/quote]

"Grey market" refers to products imported directly into the US, rather than through the manufacturer's authorized agents / distributors. It is perfectly legal to directly import & sell these products in the US; the term "grey market" was coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these (less costly) goods.

With no factory authorized middle-man involved in the import of these products, costs are lower, so the price is lower to our customers. Many items which are in short supply or not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in direct import.

Any of our products which are being sold as such will be clearly marked, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly should you have any concerns regarding a specific listing.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe.

On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

For, I think, about the past 10 years, the policy of Canon USA has been to honor their warranty for any unit sold though an authorized Canon reseller, whether it has been imported by an authorized agent or is direct import.

All the customer requires is original receipt to verify the reseller and the date of sale – apparently you don't need the warranty card - and even if you do have the warranty card, you will still have to provide the receipt.Some consumers believe that the only practical reason to buy a USA warranted lens is if you think you may require warranty service outside the USA.

Equipment classified as USA, purchased from an authorized dealer in the United States, will be eligible for Canon warranty service (almost) anywhere in the world. "USA" equipment is specifically categorized for distribution and sale in the United States through the network of Canon dealers.

They will service any Canon item with a fee if it is otherwise not under warranty, but Nikon USA will not service a direct import item at all, whether the customer is willing to pay or not.

(BTW, I understand that this company is a Nikon authorized repair center, and WILL service all Nikon units, including direct import: http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/)

I hope this helps, but you are most welcome to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com if you need additional information or advice

I paid $349 for my Sony HX5V a little over a year ago. New model releases have driven the price under $200 but it is still available new from Amazon.

Awesome little camera.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX5V-Digital-Stabilization/dp/B00328HR76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310201234&sr=8-1

Link to a sample gallery I posted when I first got it: http://galleries.pptphoto.com/sony_hx5v

If that doesn't float your boat, any Canon Powershot around the $200 mark will serve you well.

Dave

This looks like a great camera and I love your pictures. Did you order it from Amazon? I am hesitant at buying over the Internet rather than in a store. Anything to worry about?

THANKS!!

Awesome little camera.

Dave

I just ordered the Sony from Amazon. I really appreciate the recommendation. I am so glad to have ordered SOMETHING so I can stop looking. If I have questions, I will use you as my expert. THANKS!!!

I actually just ordered a new Point & Shoot myself today, at my wife's chagrin - she says I already have too much stuff.

But here is what happened. We went out to breakfast in a town we visit occasionally last Sunday morning, and they had a street rod show. Blocked the entire main street off, and hundreds of beautiful cars were parked along the street. It was an overcast day with no shadows, so the lighting was perfect... you get the picture.

And yep, no camera. We didn't know that there was going to be such an event, so I didn't bring one. And my wife's Point & Shoot was not in her purse, as we had recently taken it out to recharge it, and it didn't find it's way back into her purse yet. So that was the dilemma.

And while we have a marginal camera on our older cell phone, we didn't even have that with us either as it too was sitting at home. I am old enough that for most of my adult life, I didn't have a cell phone, so I am not really that attached to one.

The comment someone made the other day came to mind: a $200 camera you have with you is better than the $2,000 camera you have at home.

That comment came true on Sunday.

So I started looking for an inexpensive camera that was powered by AA batteries. I figured I'd just leave it in the car's glove box for times like this. The problem with doing that with rechargeable battery cameras is when it comes time to use it, the battery is dead. Having AA batteries means that won't happen. Or at the very least, I can probably buy new batteries on the spot.

I was surprised that there were still a few cameras out there that used AA batteries. I found several Nikon L series that did, along with a few of the lower-cost Canon A series, a Canon S130, and a few Fuji S series. I couldn't find anything from Sony or Panasonic that did. That was the limitation of my checking. I found about a dozen cameras in all.

I had originally found a refurbished Nikon L-22 for about $65, which seemed to be a good idea at first, but after researching all of the available ones, I ended up with the Fuji S2950. I ordered it from Adorama for under $200.

The primary reason I went with the Fuji over the Nikon is that it had Manual capability. The Canon S130 IS also had manual controls, but was over my $200 limitation. There were no Nikon AA battery powered offerings that could go manual.

It even has a dedicated electronic viewfinder in addition to the main LCD display. That blew me away for an under $200 camera.

Image quality... well that is the big unknown. I'll provide some feedback after I get the camera and use it awhile. It might be a good choice for an inexpensive camera. Although the use of AA batteries might shy some away from it, that is the primary reason I bought it.

This looks like a great camera and I love your pictures. Did you order it from Amazon? I am hesitant at buying over the Internet rather than in a store. Anything to worry about?

THANKS!!

I saw that you ordered from Amazon. Don't worry about it. I have never lived near anywhere with good access to photo equipment and Amazon, Adorama and B&H photo have become my main sources. All three (especially Amazon) have great return policies and great service.

The camera itself has been great. The Hand-held Twilight mode has proven to be a great low-light tool for me and the Sweep Panorama is nothing short of amazing if you take some time and practice panning smooth and straight.

Here's a link to a mini-review I did here when I first got it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24135205&postcount=30

I carry mine on my belt whenever I leave the house...shopping, work or whatever. I bought a spare battery and have made a habit of popping the full one in when the camera runs low and charging the empty when I get home. The freshly charged one then goes back in the pouch ready for the next time. The battery lasts a long time for everyday use. Several weeks at least. Even on a cruise when I use the heck out of my cameras, I have never run out of the second battery in a day. If you plan to shoot a lot of video, your mileage may vary.

Enjoy the new toy!

Dave

Awesome little camera.

Dave

I am going to show my absolute ignorance about current camera technology:o I have also been looking at this camera on Amazon--what else specifically do I need to purchase with it ex type of memory card, spare battery and charger, etc. I want to use the camera in Alaska and possibly take action and panorama shots. Gosh I wish we still had a camera store where I live! Thanks.

The Nikon S8100 takes the EN-EL12 battery which is also available from Amazon, as that seems your retailer of choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-EN-EL12-Rechargeable-Battery-Packaging/dp/B001DO2XWA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310938989&sr=1-1

I'd buy the camera brand battery rather than a 3rd party version. They are a little more expensive, but they will be guaranteed to work.

The camera comes with one EN-EL12 battery and a charger, so you wouldn't need to buy another charger.

Here are the Nikon tested and approved memory cards for the S8100. I am sure others would work, but these have been tested by Nikon:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16997/kw/approved%20memory%20card%20coolpix

They also recommend a minimum of class 6 cards if you are going to shoot movies.

Also I noticed that there is a firmware update for the S8100 (ver 1.1). I am sure the camera won't include the update right out of the box, so you'll have to update the firmware if you want the latest and greatest version. Updating firmware isn't really that hard to do, but if you are uncomfortable in doing it, any teenager would probably be able to help you. Firmware updates are not anything unique to Nikon - they are common in digital cameras, so don't let that scare you. In fact, you probably don't need to do the update if you don't want to, but I'd recommend it.

I would not be surprised if there was a YouTube video on how to do it.

Oops I just checked the weight of the Sony --it shows 1.3 lbs in the technical details --that can't possibly be correct!

This is my other choice at 7 oz http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-S8100-Zoom-Nikkor-3-0-Inch-Black/dp/tech-data/B00427ZLS8/ref=de_a_smtd

How does this compare?

1.3 lbs is the shipping weight for the whole outfit. The camera itself weighs 7.1 oz. It takes either SD (up to 2GB), SDHC (4GB to 32GB) and Memory Stick Pro. I have a Sony spare battery, but I have used Lenmar in the past with great results. It comes with a charger but no memory card so order one or pop into Costco and pick up a couple. The SanDisk Ultra cards in Costco will work fine in it for shooting and video.

Dave

1.3 lbs is the shipping weight for the whole outfit. The camera itself weighs 7.1 oz. It takes either SD (up to 2GB), SDHC (4GB to 32GB) and Memory Stick Pro. I have a Sony spare battery, but I have used Lenmar in the past with great results. It comes with a charger but no memory card so order one or pop into Costco and pick up a couple. The SanDisk Ultra cards in Costco will work fine in it for shooting and video.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I ordered the Sony and can't wait to get it. We go on our trip the end of Sept. so need time to practice. I printed out your advice. I ordered a Sony memory card and case from Amazon. I will also get another battery. This cruise is getting more expensive every day.

Lindy

Hi Dave,

I ordered the Sony and can't wait to get it. We go on our trip the end of Sept. so need time to practice. I printed out your advice. I ordered a Sony memory card and case from Amazon. I will also get another battery. This cruise is getting more expensive every day.

Lindy

Expensive is a relative thing. ;) I had my SD800 for three years and will probably keep my HX5v that long. I paid $350 for for the Sony when it first came out and at $14 per month, or less than 2¢ per photo, I consider it a bargain!

Besides, I always offset the cost of camera equipment by skipping a few martinis while I'm on the ship...or at least that's the plan. (Don't press me for details on how well the "plan" worked out...:o)

Enjoy your new camera!

Dave

Although I worked with SLR's and developed and printed my own film (20 years ago) I have not kept up with digital camera technology. Our present camera is a Canon Powershot S50 that has worked well for us. DH is getting ready to purchase a DSLR. I would like a slightly lighter camera with a wider angle lens and a little greater zoom for the Alaska trip.

Thanks for the info.

Awesome little camera.

Dave

Thanks for this thread. I wanted a new camera for my Alaska cruise. Canon's have served me well in the past! I was deciding between the sx230 and the 300hs and going back and forth between the two. I ordered the 300hs due to its faster shutter speed, and have time to test it out before we leave next month.

Hi Guys--back again. Went to Best Buy today to "feel" cameras --gosh they are small--and they had none that I was interested in. Also just read Consumer Reports latest camera report. Any ideas why CR dinged the Sony HX5V for it's LCD quality? If I look at CR's chart I see that the Canon Powershot SD4500 has 10x optical zoom and 36 mm widest angle compared to the Sony HX5V that has 10x and 25 mm. How does that data translate into picture quality or limitations? Thanks

If they are both 10X, the 25mm lens should have a 25-250mm range, while the 36mm lens should be 36mm to 360mm (35mm equivalences). That means the 25mm version will favor wide angle shots, and the 36mm will favor telephoto shots.

This is only my opinion, but it's my belief most people would use the wider angle coverage more than the telephoto coverage. But it really comes down to what kind of photography you like to do as to which one has an advantage over the other.

Hi Guys--back again. Went to Best Buy today to "feel" cameras --gosh they are small--and they had none that I was interested in. Also just read Consumer Reports latest camera report. Any ideas why CR dinged the Sony HX5V for it's LCD quality? If I look at CR's chart I see that the Canon Powershot SD4500 has 10x optical zoom and 36 mm widest angle compared to the Sony HX5V that has 10x and 25 mm. How does that data translate into picture quality or limitations? Thanks

I'm not sure if consumer reports really does cameras well. The 230k pixel LCD on the HX5V has always worked well for me, even in bright light. It's not as spectacular as the 900K+ screens on my A700 or NEX, but it is plenty adequate.

I share awboater's opinion that most people would use the wider angle, especially on a cruise. I have found the wider angle very useful taking interior shots where there are limits to how far you can back up! ;)

Dave

Archived