Buying bottle of alcohol on board ship

wolfgangz

If you buy anything at the onboard liquor store, it's held until the last day of the cruise. I've never heard of anyone buying a bottle from one of the lounges; don't know if that's possible or not. You can pack a bottle in your luggage if you want. We bring on wine that way.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Room service will deliver to you also.

Twice we have been onboard & purchased booze at the duty free store & they put it into my blue Celebrity tote for us to take to our stateroom. This was on Connie & Infinity.

You may have been able to do this, but the general rule of thumb is any drink you buy on board in the shop will be held for you until the end of the cruise and delivered to your stateroom prior to disembarking.

Phil

I think it really depends on the staff, rather than the ship. We were on the Summit and could not buy anything to take back to the room, yet on the Constellation, they told me to come back with my blue bag and they would accommodate me. We could buy as much as we wanted and there was no corkage fee. On the Horizon, however, they were adamant about not selling to take back to the room, even if you had the blue bag and there were no other customers in the shop. The official policy is "no", and supposedly the staff can be immediately dismissed if they violate it. On the Constellation, I bought it several times, and I usually bought a couple of bottles of Bailey's (2 for $17.95 or something like that on sale) and a bottle of something else (it was a 14-day cruise). I did tip $10 each time (in lieu of a corkage fee and to influence their selling it to me a second time). Each time, it was a different staff member in the shop. If they won't let you buy it on the ship, you can usually buy a couple of bottles in port and they don't prevent you from bringing it back, even when it's obviously visible in the carry-on bag scan. If you bring a cardboard six-pack box clearly labeled "Alcohol", I've seen them confiscate those upon returning from the ports. They give them back to you the night before you leave.

Allen

I think you want to know the policy about onboard consumption. On Princess, which I have often sailed, you could purchase 1 liter bottles of liquor from the bar and have it delivered to your room. If you purchased in the gift shop, it would be held until your last night of the cruise. I am sailing on Celebrity ofr the first time this month and do not know their policy or prices, but from what I have read it appears they offer the same thing. I usually purchase a liter of my favorite libation on the first night from the bar and use it during the entire cruise. On Princess for example, a liter of Absolute vodka was about $22 purchased from the bar, but was only about $12 in the gift shop.

. I usually purchase a liter of my favorite libation on the first night from the bar and use it during the entire cruise. On Princess for example, a liter of Absolute vodka was about $22 purchased from the bar, but was only about $12 in the gift shop.

I've never heard of that being possible on Celebrity, bujt then again, I've never tried it.

Allen

is a navy blue Celebrity tote bag, nothing extravagant but it holds 2 bottles of booze. Learned from the CD that you go to the Duty Free with the bag, pick out the sale item you want, we got 2 Baileys for $16 for 2 liters & Grey Goose was $18 a liter. I went down for each bottle over a week. Baileys is great in coffee each morning & GG is exellent in lemonade in my big thermal mug at the pool.

Then guests stop by to enjoy 200 sq ft of balcony on our AFT CC stateroom & we have plenty to offer and they buy wine for dinner next night.

I am a newbie to Celebrity and will be on the Constellation in 2 weeks. What is this "blue duffle bag" I keep seeing mentioned? Is it a welcome gift for everyone? Just for certain cabins? Thanks for the help

at a time, not a load.........

Thanks WeBeCruisin', I had no idea we received a totebag. I would not have known what to do with it, but now I know to go to the duty-free shop and try to fill it with liquor to take back to the room!

MACOP - I was not actually planning to fill it up, but do you think getting 2 bottles in one trip would be different from just 1 in terms of them allowing it? Also, is the bag just for Captain's Club memebers? If so, I will have to try plan B, as soon as I figure out what it is...

is a navy blue Celebrity tote bag, nothing extravagant but it holds 2 bottles of booze. Learned from the CD that you go to the Duty Free with the bag, pick out the sale item you want, we got 2 Baileys for $16 for 2 liters & Grey Goose was $18 a liter. .

The blue bag doesn't automatically work, though, as I learned on the Horizon in October. It just depends on the philosophy of the particular employees at the liquor store. It's potluck. But you've always got the option of picking up a bottle or two in port, or at the duty-free shops at the airport before you embark.

Allen

Always meant to try the "blue bag' route but never got around to it - Martini Bar was directly under my stateroom, and Sudie was SOOO good at mixing!:D

That said, you CAN buy bottles of wine/hard liquor for in-room entertaining from room service- pricey, but the option is there. You can also pre-order a gift for yourself to be waiting in your stateroom upon arrival. They have several "gifts" that include wine or liquor, some that come with mixers and/or snacks. I think that's available on-line- just have your credit card and booking number ready, and check out how far in advance you have to order before your cruise.

Well, I started this thread and am not getting direct answers, with one exception. Bottles purchased in the gift shop are duty free and are suposed to be held until you disembark.

As I said in my original message, on Princess ships you can purchase a bottle of wine or hard stuff at a bar at very reasonable prices. I assume we can do the same on Celebrity ships.

Wolfgang, you're not getting the "direct" answer you want, because no one seems to have ever heard of being able to buy a bottle of liquor from the bar on Celebrity's ships. I've read probably a thousand posts on various "liquor on-board" threads and no one has ever mentioned that. Rather than assuming that you CAN do it on Celebrity, it might be better to assume that you CAN'T, and have a contingency plan to fall back on if the bartenders refuse to sell you a bottle. We've detailed a number of contingency plans for you, but you seem determined to purchase it from the bar. Good luck.

Allen

we are doing our first celebrity sailing in 37 days. i am going to order the bon voyage liqour gift package, this will (should) be in the cabin upon arrival. I do know that on RCCL you are permitted to purchase liquor for room consumption however there is a $10 per bottle charge. still not a definitive answer wolfgang, but its the best i can do.

Archived