Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Pacific Islands, All
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:06 PM
lhall85917's Avatar
lhall85917 lhall85917 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 4,470
Default Papeete to Hilton Moorea advice

We will be leaving our ship for one night while it docks overnight in Papeete and staying at the Hilton Moorea, reboarding the ship when it arrives in Moorea. From what I've read, we can take a ferry from Papeete to Moorea fairly easily then catch a cab to the Hilton. I've also seen something about contacting the Hilton and they will pick you up at the pier?
Our plan is to head over there around noon and try to spend as much time at the OWB as possible then return around noon to the ship the next day.
This will be a once in a lifetime thing for us so would love any suggestions for making this as special as possible and advice for getting back and forth between the ship, dock, and hotel.
__________________
25+ cruises and planning more all the time!
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:05 PM
FlightMedic555 FlightMedic555 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 880
Default Hilton

From your ship it is an easy walk to the next pier to get the ferry. You can contact Alberts on Moorea for the transfer. The Hilton was spectacular.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM
happycdn happycdn is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 97
Default

Hi

I emailed the Hilton and pre arranged for them to pick us up at the ferry - a guy was waiting with our name on a card which was great - the cost was also about half of taking a taxi - I forget how much - I think 8.00 each so 16.00 versus about 30 for the taxi -
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
lhall85917's Avatar
lhall85917 lhall85917 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 4,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycdn View Post
Hi

I emailed the Hilton and pre arranged for them to pick us up at the ferry - a guy was waiting with our name on a card which was great - the cost was also about half of taking a taxi - I forget how much - I think 8.00 each so 16.00 versus about 30 for the taxi -
This is very helpful, thank you! Any advice for our one night stay at the Hilton?
__________________
25+ cruises and planning more all the time!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
zoethesailor's Avatar
zoethesailor zoethesailor is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycdn View Post
Hi

I emailed the Hilton and pre arranged for them to pick us up at the ferry - a guy was waiting with our name on a card which was great - the cost was also about half of taking a taxi - I forget how much - I think 8.00 each so 16.00 versus about 30 for the taxi -
Only $8 per person? Did the driver give you an opportunity to stop at a store before going to the hotel?

Thanks, Zoe
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:07 PM
rplusr's Avatar
rplusr rplusr is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall85917 View Post
We will be leaving our ship for one night while it docks overnight in Papeete and staying at the Hilton Moorea, reboarding the ship when it arrives in Moorea. From what I've read, we can take a ferry from Papeete to Moorea fairly easily then catch a cab to the Hilton. I've also seen something about contacting the Hilton and they will pick you up at the pier?
Our plan is to head over there around noon and try to spend as much time at the OWB as possible then return around noon to the ship the next day.
This will be a once in a lifetime thing for us so would love any suggestions for making this as special as possible and advice for getting back and forth between the ship, dock, and hotel.
We are planning on doing this on our stop in 2013 on Sea Princess sydney to Sydney Cruise.

Reg and I would love to hear how it all works out and also any other information on what to do and how the pick up etc all went. You can email me if you prefer at the link below.

many thanks

Robyn
__________________






Cruises:

Pacific Sky 2004, Pacific Star 2006, Pacific Star (B2B) 2007 Pacific Sun 2007, Dawn Princess 2008, Rhapsody of the Seas Jan 2009, Diamond Princess B2B Nov/Dec 2009 (Engagement & Wedding Cruise), Pacific Dawn May 2010, Pacific Dawn May 2011, Golden Princess - Alaska Sept 2011, Radiance of the Seas Nov 2011, Pacific Dawn May 2012, Sun Princess March 2013.

Email me

Roll Call Event List

Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hflors's Avatar
Hflors Hflors is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 2,497
Smile

I did this very thing on my trip last year. Number one is to make sure you have approval from the cruise line in writing before your board the ship!!! Things will go so smooth with the approval in hand. If possible get the local currency before you leave for your trip. I ordered mine at my local bank. I heard people say there were atm's close to where the ship docked, but we didn't need to worry about finding it since I had the money already.

When you board I would just go by the front desk and make sure they know you are doing it. Also the night before you leave tell the people at your table and waite staff that you will not be at dinner the next evening. Also tell your cabin stewards so they know you will not be there.

Be on time to meet with the officials when you dock in Papeete. That always makes things go smoothly. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to help.

Helen
__________________
12 - 1991 Souvern of the Seas Caribbean, 1993 Star Princess - Caribbean, 1994 Regal Princess - Caribbean, 1995 NCL Dreamward - Caribbean, 1996 Veendam - Cruise with MOM - Caribbean, 12-31-2001 Granduer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2003 Veendam - our first girls cruise - Caribbean, 1-3-2004 Splendor of the Seas - Panama Canal, 1-1-2005 NCL Sun - Caribbean, 3-12-2006 Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2007 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 2-25-2008 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 10-8-2008 Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda, 1-19-2009 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 1-2-2010 Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean, 4-25-2010 Statendam - Panama Canal, 8-7-2010 Enchantment of the Seas - Bermuda, 10-18-2010 Celebrity Mercury - Caribbean, 03-04-2011 Rotterdam - Hawaii & Tahiti-Amazing
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM
lhall85917's Avatar
lhall85917 lhall85917 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 4,470
Default

Thanks for the advice. Did you contact the Hilton in advice and have them pick you up at the dock? Any advice for our time at the Hilton - did you eat dinner and breakfast there?
__________________
25+ cruises and planning more all the time!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hflors's Avatar
Hflors Hflors is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 2,497
Smile

We took a taxi to the hilton, but yes we ate dinner and lunch and breakfast there. The food though expensive was very good.

I think the taxi ride was about 25.00 for the three of us. Not bad.
__________________
12 - 1991 Souvern of the Seas Caribbean, 1993 Star Princess - Caribbean, 1994 Regal Princess - Caribbean, 1995 NCL Dreamward - Caribbean, 1996 Veendam - Cruise with MOM - Caribbean, 12-31-2001 Granduer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2003 Veendam - our first girls cruise - Caribbean, 1-3-2004 Splendor of the Seas - Panama Canal, 1-1-2005 NCL Sun - Caribbean, 3-12-2006 Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2007 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 2-25-2008 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 10-8-2008 Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda, 1-19-2009 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 1-2-2010 Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean, 4-25-2010 Statendam - Panama Canal, 8-7-2010 Enchantment of the Seas - Bermuda, 10-18-2010 Celebrity Mercury - Caribbean, 03-04-2011 Rotterdam - Hawaii & Tahiti-Amazing
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:45 PM
rplusr's Avatar
rplusr rplusr is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hflors View Post
I did this very thing on my trip last year. Number one is to make sure you have approval from the cruise line in writing before your board the ship!!! Things will go so smooth with the approval in hand. If possible get the local currency before you leave for your trip. I ordered mine at my local bank. I heard people say there were atm's close to where the ship docked, but we didn't need to worry about finding it since I had the money already.

When you board I would just go by the front desk and make sure they know you are doing it. Also the night before you leave tell the people at your table and waite staff that you will not be at dinner the next evening. Also tell your cabin stewards so they know you will not be there.

Be on time to meet with the officials when you dock in Papeete. That always makes things go smoothly. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to help.

Helen
Thanks very much for the information it will be a great help to us too.

Robyn
__________________






Cruises:

Pacific Sky 2004, Pacific Star 2006, Pacific Star (B2B) 2007 Pacific Sun 2007, Dawn Princess 2008, Rhapsody of the Seas Jan 2009, Diamond Princess B2B Nov/Dec 2009 (Engagement & Wedding Cruise), Pacific Dawn May 2010, Pacific Dawn May 2011, Golden Princess - Alaska Sept 2011, Radiance of the Seas Nov 2011, Pacific Dawn May 2012, Sun Princess March 2013.

Email me

Roll Call Event List

Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:29 PM
floridafolks's Avatar
floridafolks floridafolks is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: orlando florida
Posts: 1,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplusr View Post
We are planning on doing this on our stop in 2013 on Sea Princess sydney to Sydney Cruise.

Reg and I would love to hear how it all works out and also any other information on what to do and how the pick up etc all went. You can email me if you prefer at the link below.

many thanks

Robyn
We just returned from our 30 day South Pacific cruise on the HAL Rotterdam. The cruise was wonderful, but the highlight by far was leaving the ship for one night to stay in an OWB at the Hilton in Moorea.

We followed HFLORS advice on how to work this out and everything went smoothly. We left the ship in Papeete and took the fast Aremiti V ferry(30 min) to Moorea The only hitch was that we had prearranged a taxi through the Hilton to take us from the ferry dock to the hotel. When we arrived, we looked through all the congestion to find the taxi holding our name, but could not. But no worries, there were plenty of shuttles to take us there at 700xpf each- much less than the taxi. The shuttle driver even stopped for photo ops along the gorgeous drive to the Hilton.
The Hilton was fabulous and we had a 1 pm checkout the following day. The Hilton concierge even reconfirmed that Albert's Tours would pick us up at the Hilton at 1pm and take us on a trip to the Belvedere and other stops before taking us to the tender dock on Cook's Bay in time to reboard the ship.

We did get our "deviation" letter to leave the ship and presented it to the front office upon boarding This was the first thing that they asked for and I am so glad that hflors had told us about this. Also we did not even have to personally meet with immigration in Papeete before leaving. The front desk handled it all with immigration and let us know the day before that all had been cleared and gave us back our passports to take ashore with us. Upon reboarding the ship, the front office meet us on the gangway before we were allowed back onboard to recollect our passports.

The Hilton is a wonderful facility- we snorkled right from the OWB (even saw an octopus) and enjoyed venturing out in the kayaks. Sharks circle underneath the Crepe bar in the evening. Each OWB had a light underneath to see the fishes and coral in the dark. The sky displayed the most stars I have ever seen! We enjoyed a beautiful sunset from our balcony and then got up to see a marvelous sunrise the next morning and saw our ship sailing into Cook's Bay from Papeete just about at sunrise time. Breakfast buffet was bountiful and what a view to enjoy!
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:57 PM
lhall85917's Avatar
lhall85917 lhall85917 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 4,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridafolks View Post
We just returned from our 30 day South Pacific cruise on the HAL Rotterdam. The cruise was wonderful, but the highlight by far was leaving the ship for one night to stay in an OWB at the Hilton in Moorea.

We followed HFLORS advice on how to work this out and everything went smoothly. We left the ship in Papeete and took the fast Aremiti V ferry(30 min) to Moorea The only hitch was that we had prearranged a taxi through the Hilton to take us from the ferry dock to the hotel. When we arrived, we looked through all the congestion to find the taxi holding our name, but could not. But no worries, there were plenty of shuttles to take us there at 700xpf each- much less than the taxi. The shuttle driver even stopped for photo ops along the gorgeous drive to the Hilton.
The Hilton was fabulous and we had a 1 pm checkout the following day. The Hilton concierge even reconfirmed that Albert's Tours would pick us up at the Hilton at 1pm and take us on a trip to the Belvedere and other stops before taking us to the tender dock on Cook's Bay in time to reboard the ship.

We did get our "deviation" letter to leave the ship and presented it to the front office upon boarding This was the first thing that they asked for and I am so glad that hflors had told us about this. Also we did not even have to personally meet with immigration in Papeete before leaving. The front desk handled it all with immigration and let us know the day before that all had been cleared and gave us back our passports to take ashore with us. Upon reboarding the ship, the front office meet us on the gangway before we were allowed back onboard to recollect our passports.

The Hilton is a wonderful facility- we snorkled right from the OWB (even saw an octopus) and enjoyed venturing out in the kayaks. Sharks circle underneath the Crepe bar in the evening. Each OWB had a light underneath to see the fishes and coral in the dark. The sky displayed the most stars I have ever seen! We enjoyed a beautiful sunset from our balcony and then got up to see a marvelous sunrise the next morning and saw our ship sailing into Cook's Bay from Papeete just about at sunrise time. Breakfast buffet was bountiful and what a view to enjoy!
Thank you so much for posting this! We leave next week for our cruise and have our night booked in Moorea dor the end of April. All arrangements have been made with Princess and we'll have the letter with us and verify once onboard. We will also report back when we return.
__________________
25+ cruises and planning more all the time!
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:27 PM
lhall85917's Avatar
lhall85917 lhall85917 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 4,470
Default

Oops, forgot...

Did you prebook Alberts for pickup at the Hilton? Also, how much was it? I like to have each of the cab fares put aside in envelopes before we leave- makes planning easier!
__________________
25+ cruises and planning more all the time!
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:22 AM
lhall85917's Avatar
lhall85917 lhall85917 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 4,470
Default

One more question, according to the ferry's website the cost is 1500f/pp for both the ferry and the high speed boat - is that correct? Sorry, I lied, I have another...what time did you take the ferry over to Moorea? We thought we might walk around Papeete then go over at noon, but if we can possibly check in earlier it might be better to go on an earlier ferry.
thanks
__________________
25+ cruises and planning more all the time!

Last edited by lhall85917; April 5th, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:39 AM
floridafolks's Avatar
floridafolks floridafolks is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: orlando florida
Posts: 1,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall85917 View Post
One more question, according to the ferry's website the cost is 1500f/pp for both the ferry and the high speed boat - is that correct? Sorry, I lied, I have another...what time did you take the ferry over to Moorea? We thought we might walk around Papeete then go over at noon, but if we can possibly check in earlier it might be better to go on an earlier ferry.
thanks
We went on the 12:20 Friday ferry. Other days have a different schedule available online. We did get off in Papeete and walked and shopped a little at market and went to the ATM for XPF before returning to the ship to get overnight bags and an early lunch. The ferry before the 12:20 was about 9:30 which we thought was too early. However we did walk to the Aremiti dock first thing after getting off the ship and purchased tickets and also to be sure we knew where to go and how long it took to walk there. The fare one way was 900 XPF per person- we expected it to be more, but they gave us the over 60 senior rate. I think the rates are the same for the slow and fast ferry.

Last edited by floridafolks; April 5th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:45 AM
floridafolks's Avatar
floridafolks floridafolks is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: orlando florida
Posts: 1,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall85917 View Post
Oops, forgot...

Did you prebook Alberts for pickup at the Hilton? Also, how much was it? I like to have each of the cab fares put aside in envelopes before we leave- makes planning easier!
Yes, by chance we met Albert's daughter in Papeete and booked through her, but I am one to follow up on things and the Hilton concierge offered to call them to reconfirm. It was actually a 2-2 1/2 hr tour in an 8 passenger vehicle they were offering the ship passengers (Tour B) but we wanted to be picked up at the Hilton at 1pm and then returned to the ship. They were very willing to do that, so we saved a taxi fare to the Hilton. The tour was 3500XPF per person. I had heard the Belvedere was a must see and the timing worked out perfectly so we still got full time at the Hilton (even a little late checkout) and got to see the Belvedere and other sights.

Last edited by floridafolks; April 5th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Skai Skai is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 361
Default

Because Cruise critic has served me so well in providing helpful tips that have made my recent cruise vacations so special and enjoyable, I feel indebted to return the favor on occasion.

Here is the website for the Moorea ferry for any who would like to refer to it.
__________________
2014 Sapphire Princess - Mexico
2013 Emerald Princess - Southern Caribbean Medley
2013 Star Princess - Alaska/Glacier Bay
2010 Royal Princess - Tahiti and French Polynesia
2009 Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:23 PM
floridafolks's Avatar
floridafolks floridafolks is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: orlando florida
Posts: 1,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skai View Post
Because Cruise critic has served me so well in providing helpful tips that have made my recent cruise vacations so special and enjoyable, I feel indebted to return the favor on occasion.

Here is the website for the Moorea ferry for any who would like to refer to it.
They have definitely added more ferries to the schedule since we were there two weeks ago in March. It might be a good idea to check for updates close to a departure date in case of further changes.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:24 AM
rplusr's Avatar
rplusr rplusr is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2,631
Default

Thank you everyone for all the information it is a great help. It certainly seems and easy process to organise. We will be on Sea Princess next year and will be arranging for our night on Moorea in and OWB.

Cheers
rplusr
__________________






Cruises:

Pacific Sky 2004, Pacific Star 2006, Pacific Star (B2B) 2007 Pacific Sun 2007, Dawn Princess 2008, Rhapsody of the Seas Jan 2009, Diamond Princess B2B Nov/Dec 2009 (Engagement & Wedding Cruise), Pacific Dawn May 2010, Pacific Dawn May 2011, Golden Princess - Alaska Sept 2011, Radiance of the Seas Nov 2011, Pacific Dawn May 2012, Sun Princess March 2013.

Email me

Roll Call Event List

Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.