Glory Refund from 2-19-05

Scuba

Just got a call from my Travel Agent, Travel Agent told Carnival $100.00 on the Sail card was not enough. We got a $150.00 credit, per person for the next Carnival Cruise. Did any one that sailed on 2-19-05 get a better deal than this??? If so, what was it, and who do I contact?

I also recieved a letter offering us the same thing you were offered. I have contacted my Travel Agent, wrote to Carnival , called Carnival, contacted my local news station, and wrote to the BBB in Miami Fl. I don't know if we will get anywhere but I sure am going to give it my all. This was my first cruise:(

I also recieved a letter offering us the same thing you were offered. I have contacted my Travel Agent, wrote to Carnival , called Carnival, contacted my local news station, and wrote to the BBB in Miami Fl. I don't know if we will get anywhere but I sure am going to give it my all. This was my first cruise:(

I went on the Destiny in 10/03. While we were halfway through the cruise, the A/C broke down and forced us to turn back early and skip aruba. We were offered 1/2 off the current cruise and 1/2 off another cruise before 6/05. They also arranged a hotel stay in San Juan and rearranged our flights to go home early. I really thought they did a great job in customer service that time. It seems like you guys are getting the short end of the stick on this Glory breakdown. I would fight for more.

I went on the Destiny in 10/03. While we were halfway through the cruise, the A/C broke down and forced us to turn back early and skip aruba. We were offered 1/2 off the current cruise and 1/2 off another cruise before 6/05. They also arranged a hotel stay in San Juan and rearranged our flights to go home early.

I would think you got comped due to the on board cruise 'inconvenience" and the abbreviated cruise. What did you think?

I agree with Pete... these are two different situations. Those on the Glory got an onboard credit and a discount on a future cruise, but still had the full cruise right? And since ports are not guaranteed nor included in the price of the actual cruise... Also, Carnival has a pretty good Vacation Guarantee, not sure why more of these people didn't use that if the cruise was that bad. I agree, disappointing to not make the ports you wanted, but the fact they offered ANY compensation when contractually they did not have to.. that is likely all you will see...

If you go back to "Glory Propulsion Problems" you'll see that its not just the missing ports & having to stay close to Florida that we're upset about, but the fact that Carnival announced to the press that we were given the opportunity to disembark in Nassau (the first port), receive a free flight home & a partial refund, OR $100 shipboard credit. Absolutely NOT TRUE!! The only announcement made was that we would not be going to the Carribean, but would get that shipboard credit. Oh, yeah, and they also told us NOT to go to the Pursers Desk. Five and a half days out of seven listening to angry passengers, and bobbing around Florida instead of the vacation we waited a whole year for... Those travelling with me and I would have most certainly flown home, gone back to work & rescheduled our vacations. Please check out the thread I mentioned...

I have never seen the guarantee announced on ANY sailing I've been on. It is part of their promotion, and in their brochures. I have never seen it anywhere on the ship. Nor would I expect to.

I'm missing why anyone would have thought this would be "announced". It tells you what do do. Just pick up a brochure and read it.

I know what I would have done if I were on the ship. And requesting getting off would not have been one of my choices.

Just got a call from my Travel Agent, Travel Agent told Carnival $100.00 on the Sail card was not enough. We got a $150.00 credit, per person for the next Carnival Cruise. Did any one that sailed on 2-19-05 get a better deal than this??? If so, what was it, and who do I contact?

Thank You all for your Replys. Keep in touch if any thing better comes out of this. My wife and i are still working on it also.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the ship and there was NO announcement about getting off, refunds etc. They only asked us to stay away from the Pursers Desk. I understand another Carnival ship had the same problem, and they are getting 25% off their next cruise.

My neighbor just got a letter with the $150 off their expenses on their next cruise if taken before 12/06. I have not heard anything yet. Bottom line, if they don't produce, they should do more than the stinken $150 expenses next time.:mad:

If you go back to "Glory Propulsion Problems" you'll see that its not just the missing ports & having to stay close to Florida that we're upset about' date=' but the fact that Carnival announced to the press that we were given the opportunity to disembark in Nassau (the first port), receive a free flight home & a partial refund, OR $100 shipboard credit. Absolutely NOT TRUE!! The only announcement made was that we would not be going to the Carribean, but would get that shipboard credit. Oh, yeah, and they also told us NOT to go to the Pursers Desk. Five and a half days out of seven listening to angry passengers, and bobbing around Florida instead of the vacation we waited a whole year for... Those travelling with me and I would have most certainly flown home, gone back to work & rescheduled our vacations. Please check out the thread I mentioned...[/quote']

Funny how this thread popped back up today. I just go my letter from Carnival confirming $150 PER PERSON until 12/06 on top of the 100 PER PERSON on board credit received during the cruise. With my family of four we are now up to 1000 bucks.

Funny how this thread popped back up today. I just go my letter from Carnival confirming $150 PER PERSON until 12/06 on top of the 100 PER PERSON on board credit received during the cruise. With my family of four we are now up to 1000 bucks.

not too shabby.

I too was on this cruise on the Glory, and all they offered, after many letters, and none get read by Carnival. How do I know this, I must have about 6 of the same form letter signed by different people. I told them what makes them think that I will spend over $2000 again to cruise with them, for $150 shipboard credit. Does not make much sense.

As US Citizens and consumers, we have no protection against the Cruise industry. The only people you can complain to is the

Federal Maritime Commission

800 N. Capitol St. NW

Washington, DC 20573-0001

My complaint to them was we were on a ship that Carnival knew was not

in great condition, before we docked in Nassau. The Captain knew around 4 am that we had major problems,before we disembarked. I stated that they chose to honor some vacation guarantees, to a select few, release press statements saying we were offered this and that most of us decided to stay. Not true. I was on that cruise, I got no such offer. I was told $100 shipboard credit (for their overpriced items.) and do not come to purser desk.

I told them I do believe that they put aside the safety of thier passengers for their profits. There was no quality to this cruise, half the time we were dead in the water and when you would ask purser desk what was wrong, they would say "we are sailing."

This propulsion problem has hit the Holiday, Glory, Ecstasy, and now the Imigination and out of Great Britian under P&O(Carnival) the Aurora which is costing them financially. All of these ships seem to have had the same problem since the beginning of the year.

I agree with Pete... these are two different situations. Those on the Glory got an onboard credit and a discount on a future cruise, but still had the full cruise right? And since ports are not guaranteed nor included in the price of the actual cruise... Also, Carnival has a pretty good Vacation Guarantee, not sure why more of these people didn't use that if the cruise was that bad. I agree, disappointing to not make the ports you wanted, but the fact they offered ANY compensation when contractually they did not have to.. that is likely all you will see...

Pardon me? We got a discount on future cruise? Were you one of the select few that was allowed to use the vacation guarantee ? A few dozen were allowed to use it but the rest of us were never given that option. We were told we would get $100 shipboard credit, and then Carlos said, do not go to purser desk they have no more information. Carnival's guarantee is not worth the paper it is printed on. Our group leader asked why the rest of us were not allowed to use the guarantee, she was told, we can't get everyone a flight out of Nassau. When pressed for who the select few were, you would meet with silence.

This same question was asked of Jennifer DeLaCruz, by a local reporter in my area, he talked to her on the phone. She said that the people that were allowed off were special circumstances, when pressed for the special circumstances she said she would have to get back to him. Well, that was March 4. Carnival will not answer questions from passengers, they did not on the Cruise and they will not now. Although, Jennifer De La Cruz gave press releases saying that we were all offered the same thing.

As for a discount on future cruise, nope, they never even gave that offer.

So do you think that I would spend over $2000 again, for $150 shipboard credit?

Is this ever going to die? You all should be thankful you weren't sailing the NCL Dawn last week. Of course all you whiners here would think it wasn't fair that they were being refunded a portion of the cruise price and a discount off of future cruise. I still have yet to read or see one passenger stating they are going to sue NCL for this. Only the 2/19 Glory passengers would. Can't the few select complainers of the Glory 2/19 cruise see that we are just sick and tired of hearing about it. ENOUGH!!!

I too was on this cruise on the Glory, and all they offered, after many letters, and none get read by Carnival. How do I know this, I must have about 6 of the same form letter signed by different people. I told them what makes them think that I will spend over $2000 again to cruise with them, for $150 shipboard credit. Does not make much sense.

You spent over $2000 for one person?? Man, did you ever get ripped off.

The shipboard credit is PER PERSON..... plus you got the $100 credit per person.

And of course they didn't announce that "get off in Nassau" "offer" - IT'S IN THE VACATION GUARANTEE WHICH IS IN A CRUISE BROCHURE WHICH YOU SHOULD HAVE READ PRIOR TO GETTING ON THE SHIP..... enough yelling.

You spent over $2000 for one person?? Man, did you ever get ripped off.

The shipboard credit is PER PERSON..... plus you got the $100 credit per person.

And of course they didn't announce that "get off in Nassau" "offer" - IT'S IN THE VACATION GUARANTEE WHICH IS IN A CRUISE BROCHURE WHICH YOU SHOULD HAVE READ PRIOR TO GETTING ON THE SHIP..... enough yelling.

I did read the vacation guarentee, we did ask to use it, our whole group of 40 and we were told, "we cannot get everyone airflights out of Nassau." No instead Carnival selected a few dozen people, who somehow got a heads up, and let them leave and get a refund. The turn around and send out press releases stating the passengers were given the option and a few dozen took them up on it.

Secondly, the vacation guarantee states that you have to let them know before you arrive at the first port to invoke the guarantee.Hiw could we do this? The Captain, who knew at 4 am there was a big problem, let us disembark at Nassau without telling us about the problem. Thus, at that point they made everything null and void. So go backk and read that guarentee, it is not worth the paper it is printed on and as a consumer, the only one to complain to is the Federal Maritime Commission and don't you think that Carnival does not know this.

No it was not $2000 per person. So let;s not get flip here. Obviously I did not travel alone. I would be darn right stupid to spend money like that on $150 shipboard credit per person. Where is the bargain there? I fail to see it.

Allso, if every consumer kept their mouth shut, then these people could really walk all over us. They can keep ripping people off with the Propulsion problem story. Lets see this year they have used it for Holiday, Ecstasy, Glory, Imagination and of course their ship the Aurora,(under P&O) that cost Carnival a big bundle as that one they had to put into dry dock.These are all since the beginning of 2005.

I will cruise again but I know who I will not cruise with. Don't ask my shipboard credit either, it is nontransferable. .

I did read the vacation guarentee, we did ask to use it, our whole group of 40 and we were told, "we cannot get everyone airflights out of Nassau." No instead Carnival selected a few dozen people, who somehow got a heads up, and let them leave and get a refund. The turn around and send out press releases stating the passengers were given the option and a few dozen took them up on it.

Secondly, the vacation guarantee states that you have to let them know before you arrive at the first port to invoke the guarantee.Hiw could we do this? The Captain, who knew at 4 am there was a big problem, let us disembark at Nassau without telling us about the problem. Thus, at that point they made everything null and void. So go backk and read that guarentee, it is not worth the paper it is printed on and as a consumer, the only one to complain to is the Federal Maritime Commission and don't you think that Carnival does not know this.

No it was not $2000 per person. So let;s not get flip here. Obviously I did not travel alone. I would be darn right stupid to spend money like that on $150 shipboard credit per person. Where is the bargain there? I fail to see it.

Allso, if every consumer kept their mouth shut, then these people could really walk all over us. They can keep ripping people off with the Propulsion problem story. Lets see this year they have used it for Holiday, Ecstasy, Glory, Imagination and of course their ship the Aurora,(under P&O) that cost Carnival a big bundle as that one they had to put into dry dock.These are all since the beginning of 2005.

I will cruise again but I know who I will not cruise with. Don't ask my shipboard credit either, it is nontransferable. .

I wonder how many of those who were on the 2/19 Glory Cruise are calling us whiners? You are so right- consumers should speak up, loudly, especially when there seems to be a "propulsion problem" trend going on. Doesn't Carnival have an inspection crew who should be experienced enough to know what to look for BEFORE we sail?

The lie that Carnival told after we got back about announcing options over the PA system is what rankles us the most. Having to deal with a crew that wanted to just get the thing over with so they wouldn't have to listen to crabby passengers (WE were tired of listening to crabby passengers, too) and a crabby Purser's office was a really nice bonus.

Oh, well, just 10 more months of working and saving & making plans for my once-yearly vacation. But, it certainly won't be in one of Florida's Floating Restaurants!

I wonder how many of those who were on the 2/19 Glory Cruise are calling us whiners?

Pick me monty pick me.

Fact is less than 1% of Carnival sailings have itineraries effected by propulsion problems. Hardly an epedemic. As far as finding 40 last minute one way seats on airlines that Carnival doesn't own - should they have tried? Maybe.

Should their PR department not have tried to spin the story in there favour? Show me a Corporation in the free world that doesn't do it every day.

We've raised are concerns, we got our compensation (above and beyond that required) - get over it.

Archived