Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Cozumel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 14th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Money Bar beach hours?

My ship gets in at 1 and I see Chananabananakab closes at 4 or 5 depending on the web page. Not much time IMHO

If I went to Money Bar, does anyone know what time I can snorkel up to?

I have snorkeled there before with Omar from the Dune Buggy tours but we were only there for a short while. Nice snorkeling though and I hear its better than Chananawhateverkab

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Take a look at their web site

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Old April 15th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Only hours I saw mentioned were happy hour but thanks though.

Old April 16th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Money bar is open till late as they have dinners, etc....but it is NOT a beach club and snorkeling is still much better at Chankanaab. We did snorkel at the Money bar once, it is not bad but not comparable to the park...hope this helps

Old April 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkcoffeecruiser View Post
Money bar is open till late as they have dinners, etc....but it is NOT a beach club and snorkeling is still much better at Chankanaab. We did snorkel at the Money bar once, it is not bad but not comparable to the park...hope this helps
Thanks. I guess its all perspective on snorkeling though. Some say Chankanaab is better, some say Money Bar.

My main concern is the amount of time. If Chankanaab closes at 4 like I have been seeing its not much time to do anything at all as my ship gets in at 1. Probably wont get to the park until 2 and into the water at 2:30 at best.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:50 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler Puppy View Post
Thanks. I guess its all perspective on snorkeling though. Some say Chankanaab is better, some say Money Bar.

My main concern is the amount of time. If Chankanaab closes at 4 like I have been seeing its not much time to do anything at all as my ship gets in at 1. Probably wont get to the park until 2 and into the water at 2:30 at best.
With your hours the Money Bar is your best shore snorkel option. Good luck!

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninDC View Post
With your hours the Money Bar is your best shore snorkel option. Good luck!
Thanks. The limited time is killing me but want to make the best of it with not worrying about rushing. If it rains a bit I don't want to lose the little time I have.

Thanks all for the info.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were just at Money Bar, and I don't really think they have snorkeling hours. They might not serve you drinks- but it is really just a place to hop into an ocean, you don't have to be actually "affiliated" with them to enter, and they certainly don't lifeguard it!

If the sun is up, you can snorkel, suppose you could even if it wasn't, but that doesn't seem like a great idea. (We got there before the bar was opened, and others were already getting out of the water after their first swim. I'd think it works the same after they close- but I think they run into the evening.)

The snorkeling was AMAZING. Even more so if you are confident enough to swim very far from shore (husband did, I didn't...but even close in it was fantastic.)

For the price of a cab ride, and no entry fee- it cannot be beat. I've never seen so many, and such variety of fish.
Planned:
[strike]NCL Jewel- Western Carribean 12/8/13[/strike]
Celebrity Xpedition- Galapagos 9/28/14

Last edited by skittl1321; April 23rd, 2012 at 12:45 PM.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Maybe 100 yds north of the Money Bar is a public area to enter the water, I saw people getting out of cars and they just went swimming.
Mercury 4/01, Zenith 3/02, NCL Majesty 5/02, S/S Norway 12/02, CCL Victory 1/05, CCL Miracle 10/05 CCL Victory 3/06, RCCL Grandeur 1/07, RCCL Rhapsody 5/07, CCL Triumph 4/08, CCL Triumph 11/08, CCL Miracle 11/09, NCL Spirit 8/2010, CCL Valor 11/2010, NCL Spirit 2/2011, Summit 8/2011, RCCL Explorer of the Seas 12/2011, CCL Conquest 2/2012, Summit 8/2012, NCL Jewel 11/4/12, CCL Glory 3/13, NCL Gem 04/09/13, CCL Freedom 11/16/13, CCL Glory 02/16/14

Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribsun View Post
Maybe 100 yds north of the Money Bar is a public area to enter the water, I saw people getting out of cars and they just went swimming.
Thats where I went on my dune buggy excursion last year. We parked next to the Money Bar.

Snorkeling was decent enough to make me want to check it out again.

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittl1321 View Post
We were just at Money Bar, and I don't really think they have snorkeling hours. They might not serve you drinks- but it is really just a place to hop into an ocean, you don't have to be actually "affiliated" with them to enter, and they certainly don't lifeguard it!

If the sun is up, you can snorkel, suppose you could even if it wasn't, but that doesn't seem like a great idea. (We got there before the bar was opened, and others were already getting out of the water after their first swim. I'd think it works the same after they close- but I think they run into the evening.)

The snorkeling was AMAZING. Even more so if you are confident enough to swim very far from shore (husband did, I didn't...but even close in it was fantastic.)

For the price of a cab ride, and no entry fee- it cannot be beat. I've never seen so many, and such variety of fish.
So we can just take a cab to the money bar, and snorkel/use beach for free? If that's the case, that is where we will go, then hop downtown for some shopping.

NORWEGION STAR 12/25/11
CARNIVAL GLORY 5/2010
CARNIVAL LEGEND 1/2010
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 5/2009
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH 11/2008
CARNIVAL VALOR 10/2008
COSTA MEDETTREANEA 1/2008
CARNIVAL LEGEND 5/2007
COSTA MAGICA 1/2007
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH 4/2006
CARNIVAL MIRACLE 10/2005
CARNIVAL SENSATION 1/2004
CARNIVAL JUBILEE 1/2001
CARNIVAL SENSATION 10/2000

Old April 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklsmom View Post
So we can just take a cab to the money bar, and snorkel/use beach for free? If that's the case, that is where we will go, then hop downtown for some shopping.
Yep. Though it is probably good form to order something. The food is excellent and drinks reasonably priced. We went non-alcoholic, since we don't swim and drink.
Planned:

Last edited by skittl1321; April 26th, 2012 at 09:05 AM.

Old April 26th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittl1321 View Post
Yep. Though it is probably good form to order something. The food is excellent and drinks reasonably priced. We went non-alcoholic, since we don't swim and drink.
I figured on spending about $50 there on food and drink for me and my 2 boys.

Old April 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler Puppy View Post
I figured on spending about $50 there on food and drink for me and my 2 boys.
That's a reasonable budget. We had 4 smoothies and a giant plate of nachos for $24. Even after skipping breakfast, the nachos were more than enough to keep DH and me filled until dinner. Very large portion.
Planned:

Old April 26th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Money Bar

Coming in on the Imagination - Did I read somewhere the cab ride is about $10 to Money Bar? My cousin is joining me and has never snorkeled is this a good place for a first timer and she 's not that great of a swimmer. I'm assuming Money Bar snorkel gear to rent? Any idea how much? Thank you!

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:40 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysvacation View Post
Coming in on the Imagination - Did I read somewhere the cab ride is about $10 to Money Bar? My cousin is joining me and has never snorkeled is this a good place for a first timer and she 's not that great of a swimmer. I'm assuming Money Bar snorkel gear to rent? Any idea how much? Thank you!
Great place to snorkel from the shore - they can rent you gear (including the float vest she should wear) and point you in the right direction or you can take a guided snorkel tour:
http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Taxi to Money Bar is about $10 for 1-4 passengers -- so pair up with some other cruisers and save $$

Good luck!

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Do they offer beach massages? Does anyone recall is so, how much they were? I love to get a beach massage when in Cozumel...snorkel a bit and a few drinks. Then we will head out to shop some, not downtown in the ship stores, but in the back streets...always way better deals and can bargain better. Then we will look for someplace to have a nice relaxing authentic lunch. Any thoughts from anyone of a good place to eat?

NORWEGION STAR 12/25/11
CARNIVAL GLORY 5/2010
CARNIVAL LEGEND 1/2010
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 5/2009
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH 11/2008
CARNIVAL VALOR 10/2008
COSTA MEDETTREANEA 1/2008
CARNIVAL LEGEND 5/2007
COSTA MAGICA 1/2007
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH 4/2006
CARNIVAL MIRACLE 10/2005
CARNIVAL SENSATION 1/2004
CARNIVAL JUBILEE 1/2001
CARNIVAL SENSATION 10/2000

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:41 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Do they offer beach massages? Does anyone recall is so, how much they were? I love to get a beach massage when in Cozumel...snorkel a bit and a few drinks. Then we will head out to shop some, not downtown in the ship stores, but in the back streets...always way better deals and can bargain better. Then we will look for someplace to have a nice relaxing authentic lunch. Any thoughts from anyone of a good place to eat?
I don't recall seeing any massage tables, but check out the web site: http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
They do have a massage table- I think it was $30 for 30 minutes, or you could purchase it as part of a snorkeling/food package, which seemed to save you the cost of a drink or two.

We really liked the food at the Money Bar.... not sure what kind of foods are authentic to Quintana Roo though, so I don't know if they were local options or generic Mexican ones. It sure wasn't Tex-Mex though.
Planned:

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Massage - $30 - 30 Minutes / $60 - 60 Minutes. My wife and I got massages after snorkeling all morning and were well worth it. The massage table is set up near the water and has curtains for privacy.