Which direction

sandemac

Hi, Just about to book our river cruise, Gems of the Danube with Scenic, June 2013. Cannot decide which direction to choose - Budapest to Nuremberg or other way? Can anyone advise please??

Thanks

We have gone Budapest-Nurnberg and enjoyed it---mainly because we got the longer flight out of the way at the beginning. Take a look to see if the stops are different in each direction--could be a deciding factor. Pat

We just returned from Amsterdam to Budapest cruise & noted the port stops seem to involve more busing to the towns on that route

Maybe starting in Budapest would be a better option

Hope someone will comment on the route from Budapest

What ever you decide be sure to plan a few days in Budapest ...

Lyn

I've read in some places on the Web that the Budapest airport is a little bit "frenetic" to negotiate... seems to be a little more confused and confusing than other airports in Europe. For that reason, we're starting our cruise in Budapest since to land at an airport is a lot easier (no waiting in multiple lines for check-in and security and trying to figure out where to go next to catch the plane) than checking in. You just get off the plane and follow everyone to the luggage and customs.

Budapest is also a LOT hotter than places to the North and so we're going to have better (cooler) temperatures as we go through the trip. I'd rather finish a trip comfortably, than finish in a hotter, sweatier place. Right now, it's about 97 deg F each day in Budapest, but Prague is only in the 80s.

But by all means, make sure you travel there a few days before embarkation and spend some time in Budapest!

In that case the answer is simple: Take the cruise from Nuremberg to Budapest if you want to go with the river.. Did some work on the elevation profile for the danube here: http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/node/20?ri_id=6

Technically from Nuremberg you cruise a bit up until you have crossed the continental water divide. But thats all on the canal so no flow on that waterway.

I've read in some places on the Web that the Budapest airport is a little bit "frenetic" to negotiate... seems to be a little more confused and confusing than other airports in Europe.

BUD is no more problematic than any other airport

We found it quite simple to navigate ...lots of food places & stores to keep you occupied until time to board your flight

Lyn

BUD is no more problematic than any other airport

We found it quite simple to navigate ...lots of food places & stores to keep you occupied until time to board your flight

Lyn

Hi Lyn

Do you recommend being at the BUD airport 3 hrs prior to flight departure or could it be less. Did you change planes in Amsterdam on the way home and how was that in terms of connecting gates?

Thanks so much

Hi Lyn

Do you recommend being at the BUD airport 3 hrs prior to flight departure or could it be less. Did you change planes in Amsterdam on the way home and how was that in terms of connecting gates?

Thanks so much

We got to BUD at 10:40 am for a 1:10 flight we had plenty of time to have a coffee & shop(spend my HUF)

You could probably get there later but you never know what the lines will be like

The terminal was bright & lots of shopping so no hardship to go early ;)

We did connect in AMS I think we had over 2hrs but we took our time going to the new gate & window shopped along the way

Be sure to get to the gate at least 1hr before as you need to go through security at the gate & it was lined up round the entrance

They started boarding 30 min prior ...our flight must have been oversold as our friends got bumped to business class from Economy comfort

We sprung for the upgrade on the outbound flight to Business class for the more comfortable seats

They had a few seats left when we went to check in at the airport...it was worth the extra $$ for us

Lyn

We got to BUD at 10:40 am for a 1:10 flight we had plenty of time to have a coffee & shop(spend my HUF)

You could probably get there later but you never know what the lines will be like

The terminal was bright & lots of shopping so no hardship to go early ;)

We did connect in AMS I think we had over 2hrs but we took our time going to the new gate & window shopped along the way

Be sure to get to the gate at least 1hr before as you need to go through security at the gate & it was lined up round the entrance

They started boarding 30 min prior ...our flight must have been oversold as our friends got bumped to business class from Economy comfort

We sprung for the upgrade on the outbound flight to Business class for the more comfortable seats

They had a few seats left when we went to check in at the airport...it was worth the extra $$ for us

Lyn

Sounds like the same flights we are booked on. Thank you for the information, it will be most valuable when planning that last day. We have only one extra night in BUD after the cruise so plan to make the most of it. Did the included tour of BUD do the shopping district, i.e. Vaci St. and the market or would that be a good thing to do the day of disembarkation. You have been most helpful.

Sounds like the same flights we are booked on. Thank you for the information, it will be most valuable when planning that last day. We have only one extra night in BUD after the cruise so plan to make the most of it. Did the included tour of BUD do the shopping district, i.e. Vaci St. and the market or would that be a good thing to do the day of disembarkation. You have been most helpful.

We drove by the shopping area

We stayed in a hotel about 50 ft from Vaci so we walked from one end to the other at the Great market hall

lots of food places to choose from

We took the bus from the ship to the Marriott with Scenic then just walked to our hotel a short walk away

Lyn

Lyn

May I ask what the extra cost was at the airport? We looked at booking Business Class but it was several thousand $$ more. I am hoping for a bit of a break if we can book the 'left over' business class seats at the airport.

May I ask what the extra cost was at the airport? We looked at booking Business Class but it was several thousand $$ more. I am hoping for a bit of a break if we can book the 'left over' business class seats at the airport.

We upgraded from Economy comfort for about $360 pp

Was worth it for us

Lyn

We upgraded from Economy comfort for about $360 pp

Was worth it for us

Lyn

Oh my gosh! That is so worth it. Right now it is over $2,500 each to upgrade. I hope that there are still seats available on check in day.

Thanks so much for the info.

Oh my gosh! That is so worth it. Right now it is over $2,500 each to upgrade. I hope that there are still seats available on check in day.

Thanks so much for the info.

Just go to the excutive check in desk at the airport & ask ;)

Archived