NOTE! Major changes to Helsinki local traffic

Sadly I have to report that from 13 August onwards there will be major changes to Helsinki tram and bus routes. Some of the changes to the bus routes are completely idiotic and are executed against strong protests from the locals. (Guess the planner is the same "genius" that messed up tram 3B/3T a few years ago so that the trams nowadays change name twice during the route.)

Devastating for the cruise passengers is the fact that bus 16 will no longer run between West Harbour and the Market. Bus 14B will be renamed bus 14 and still serve the West Harbour, quays LHC and LHB. But unlike former bus 16 its not that obvious where to exit or enter bus 14 in downtown.

Here is a map of the downtown bus lines after 13 August (with red indicating deleted routes):

http://www.hsl.fi/FI/aikataulutjareitit/Documents/Muutokset_syksy_2012/HKI_14_17_18_24.pdf

Tram 9 will now serve the west side of West Harbour (i.e the side where quay LMA is), replacing buses 15A and 15v.

http://www.hsl.fi/FI/aikataulutjareitit/Documents/Muutokset_syksy_2012/HKI_9.pdf

(I'm sorry that I have not mentioned this before but I had had some hope the changes would be delayed until the tourist season was over.)

Edited by Ultima Thule

thank you for this information!

this will effect me as I will be in Helsinki, docking at Hernesaari on August 21st.

so, I will change my route a little bit and rely on bus 14 to get me back and forth (rather than bust 14B and 16 as I had previously planned)

my plans are still doable, but it's a good thing I knew in advance of the change, or else I would have been in Market Square looking for bus 16 and then panicking when it never arrived!

thanks again for the information!

Thanks from me, too! I'll be there (West Terminal) on the 20th as well, so I'll have to look for tram 9 if there's no shuttle arranged by the cruise line. Hopefully the port site will change their web site on the 13th. The site is great, as it lists services in each terminal, and transportation to use to get to the center of the city - but it will soon be very confusing to a lot of people if they don't change the "transportation" part!!

Thanks for the "heads up." I'll check out the tram 9 route.

Thanks from me, too! I'll be there (West Terminal) on the 20th as well, so I'll have to look for tram 9 if there's no shuttle arranged by the cruise line. Hopefully the port site will change their web site on the 13th. The site is great, as it lists services in each terminal, and transportation to use to get to the center of the city - but it will soon be very confusing to a lot of people if they don't change the "transportation" part!!

Thanks for the "heads up." I'll check out the tram 9 route.

If you go to the HKL website, where all Helsinki public transportation is listed, they have updated their website with the new bus numbers, routes, trams routes, etc that begin on 8/13/12.

For instance, for 14B that is going away, there is a route map for 14 (which will replace 14B) that says from now through 8/12, and then a second route map that states it begins on 8/13

So, if you need updated routes, timetables, etc. you can go to the HKL website and plan your journey that way.

If you go to the HKL website, where all Helsinki public transportation is listed, they have updated their website with the new bus numbers, routes, trams routes, etc that begin on 8/13/12.

For instance, for 14B that is going away, there is a route map for 14 (which will replace 14B) that says from now through 8/12, and then a second route map that states it begins on 8/13

So, if you need updated routes, timetables, etc. you can go to the HKL website and plan your journey that way.

Great, thanks. I was planning to go on HKL's web site to see where I should get off tram 9. Hopefully it goes by the train station or somewhere in that area.

• 2 years later...
Hi,

We also will board in West Harbour, is it possible to just walk to the center? How long will it take?

There are no technical difficulties walking all the way. Depending in quay and walking speed, it should take something between 35 (quay LHB) and 45 minutes.

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise