Problems in Belize??

blyle

Before you book with private tour companies I would closely follow the events occurring in Belize. Based on what happened last week when we were there and what I have read I would advise those going there to monitor the political situation very closely. Belize depends on the tourist dollar but you need to be informed regarding events in Belize City. Be safe! Cruise Insurance might be something to look into!

Please fill me in. I am going to Belize in June and I am booked with a private tour company. (Coral Breeze). Thanks

Last week there was an uprising in Belize City the night before we arrived. There was looting, fires, etc. There was also vandalism to the telecommunications system. We saw guards with large guns guarding everywhere.

I searched" Belize unrest" when we returned and was amazed to learn of things that have happened there. It also seems that some post to various other Belize boards (not cc)were removed so as not to cause alarm. Who knows what will happen next but there is much unhappiness with the Gov't. You can read about incidents that have happened if you search the net.

Thanks for the website addresses. Note the US Govt date is March and that is before the current turmoil. This was not intented to scare but to inform those that plan to go off on their own when in Belize.

Carnival wouldn't dock there if it was really that unsafe, would they?

It's a tender port, and the ship is safely anchored 9 miles offshore. Even before these latest events, the passengers were warned numerous times not to venture off on their own beyond the "Tourist Village" at the tender dock.

tef43

I am just wondering if it is safe because there was some dissention in the past about the gov't favoring the cruise ship industry over the hotels. I just hope people going there will monitor the situation.

We were there a month ago and everything was great!! We had a great time with the Wet-n-Wild Cave Tubing tour - hope to return there in the future. We were told Carnival was in the process of building a dock and it should be operational in 18 months - that would be a lot better than tendering in from 9 miles out.

http://usembassy.state.gov/belize/ That's a link to the US Embassy in Belize.

The cruise lines all want to find the next Cozumel or Nassau. They are all thinking that Costa Maya and Belize are it (when we were searching for our last cruise in 2001 I don't even remember seeing either as a destination.) They want to go to the places that charge them the least for docking there. They figure that if they get in on the "ground floor" of an emerging port of call they can dictate how it develops. We all have to remember that we are not going to the beaches of NC, SC, FL or CA. We are going to foreign countries. Most of these countries are considered third world countries. If I am not mistaken, I believe Mexico is still considered a third world county.

Anyway, whenever you travel out of the country, you need to excercise caution and be safe. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. If you book an excursion through a private company and do not feel comfortable when you get there try to cancel it and get your money back. If you find out about a company you do not feel good about it, contact the embassy in Belize and ask about it. Contacting the cruise line will get you a standard reply that will tell you any company besides the company the ship uses is an unknown and will not be safe, effecient, etc. Of course when you get there you will discover that some of the tours offered by the cruise lines are run by the same companies you can book by yourself. That alwasy got a grin out of me! Pay almost twice the price for half the fun!

Thanks for the websites and information. I had no idea there is a problem there and we leave this weekend on Elation and stop in Belize next Thursday. I called Carnival and they said they are monitoring the situation in Belize but currently we are still scheduled to dock on Thursday. These articles really scared me:eek:

My brother just returned last week from a cruise including Belize and said they did not like the feeling there. Saw lots of armed military, even hiding in the bushes. Most cruisers said they were very happy to get back to the ship.

Carnival wouldn't dock there if it was really that unsafe, would they?

I was on the Victory Eastern cruise, in March 2001. We visited some place (I've got a mental block now - St Something, I think), which ended up being cancelled as one of the ports of call because it became too dangerous. At the time, though I was more naive than I am now, I didn't feel very safe.

Their new itinerary is:

Miami, FL; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Maarten, NA; St. Thomas, USVI; Miami, FL

So I see whichever place it was has been replaced with St. Maarten. Someone will come along to fill in that blank, I'm sure.

Depending how you look at it, Carnival was responsible enough not to keep sailing there. On the other hand, how long did it take for them to realize their passengers weren't safe?

Archived