Problems in Belize??

blyle

I was on the Victory Eastern cruise, in March 2001. We visited some place (I've got a mental block now - St Something, I think), which ended up being cancelled as one of the ports of call because it became too dangerous. At the time, though I was more naive than I am now, I didn't feel very safe.

Their new itinerary is:

Miami, FL; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Maarten, NA; St. Thomas, USVI; Miami, FL

So I see whichever place it was has been replaced with St. Maarten. Someone will come along to fill in that blank, I'm sure.

Depending how you look at it, Carnival was responsible enough not to keep sailing there. On the other hand, how long did it take for them to realize their passengers weren't safe?

St Croix

I was on the Victory Eastern cruise, in March 2001. We visited some place (I've got a mental block now - St Something, I think), which ended up being cancelled as one of the ports of call because it became too dangerous. At the time, though I was more naive than I am now, I didn't feel very safe.

Their new itinerary is:

Miami, FL; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Maarten, NA; St. Thomas, USVI; Miami, FL

So I see whichever place it was has been replaced with St. Maarten. Someone will come along to fill in that blank, I'm sure.

Depending how you look at it, Carnival was responsible enough not to keep sailing there. On the other hand, how long did it take for them to realize their passengers weren't safe?

That might could have been St Croix. USVI

I heard about the probelms in Belize. US Airways was even offering free flight changes because I don't think they are flying there until the end of May. I think some other airlines might of done the same. Pretty soon cruise ships might nt go there. You never know. But Belize was so beautiful when I was there. I hope they fix everything soon! I wouldn't get off the ship if I was going there anytime soon.

I am really freaking out about this. My DH says "everything will be fine, don't worrry about it":eek: Whatever, I was already worried about belize b/c I heard about the armed guards if you leave the city and so on. This makes it sound ten times worse. We are planning the ruin and River Wallace tour. I read recently that there are armed guards at the ruins. Should we cancel?????????????????:confused:

I hope that cruiselines learn quickly that folks cruise because of the great safety record on ships and at the ports of call. We trust the cruiselines to offer safe, pleasant shore excursions on beautiful safe islands for ourselves and our families. Safety is what has made cruising so popular.

Actually there is no way to tell when the protest will occur. So far it seems that everything has been ok. I would not count on the tour companies telling you anything bad because they need the money. You just have to do what feels right for you.

Guest Time2gocruzn

When I went to Belize some of the stuff I bought was wrapped in newspaper. When I got home and unpacked I sat a read all the papers. I was shocked about what I read. The articles were written in english in very frank, very straight forward fashion and talked about the killing, violence, unrest and economy. I knew this was not a place to wander off before I went, but these papers made me really understand the reality of this place. It is a BEAUTIFUL place to visit and if you stay with a tour/group or in the tourist village you should be fine. This is NOT a place to be stupid and take risks. I took a ship tour to Goff's Caye and afterwards tendered in and strolled around the tourist village. Not one time did I feel unsafe, but I would have NEVER ventured outside those gates without being part of a reputable tour, preferably a ship tour. When you go there as a tourist it is very easy to miss what this place is REALLY like and if you wander off or don't use common sense here, you are just asking for a reality check IMO. BUT I think that could be said for many third world countries, it is just part of traveling. Not every place is, nor should it be, like the US.

I am sure the cruise lines stay updated about the saftey and political situations of these places and when they feel necessary they will adjust.

Hahaha... :) Please don't be afraid to go to Belize because of this news. American's are NOT SAFE walking in their OWN country!! We have the same problems here walking in our rural and urban areas.

I agree that we must use caution when visiting these other countries. Belize is failry safe despite all of the reports.

Finally, the "US Department of State" website is going to give you ALL of the crime information about a particular country. Think about what we have here in the US? We have child molesters, XBOX murders, drunk drivers, muggers, pickpockets, riots, terrorist attacks, drug problems, and I could go on forever. Is there a website out there that tells how unsafe the US is? Yes, there probably is! :)

Be safe, cruise safe, and enjoy Belize as she is a beautiful country.

When we were planning our excursions it was so easy except for Belize. There didn't seem to be much that would attract us. We ended up doing the Cave Tubes and it was fun. Our tour operator said that Belize was very safe and didn't give a hint of any trouble. :confused:

We never heard a thing about unrest in Belize and we were there two weeks ago on the Glory. I am sure Carnival would not go there unless it was safe. We tendered into town in the afternoon and yes, it's pretty rough right next door ro the village plaza area. Certainly, wouldn't go outside of the village area.

[quote name='blyle']Just keep up with what is going on there and then you can better decide what to do in Belize.[/QUOTE]

BELIZE IS 1 0F 2 PORTS WE FELT very unsafe in! We were there right after our troops invaded, iraq! i have never seen so many Black hawk choppers flying all around in my entire life!

There were armed military personnel at the pier in full riot gear. we went through 6 armed checkpoints going to the mayan ruins. It was very scary!! when we got out at the ruins we had guards, hired by the tour I THINK, that followed our tour around and we were told not to stray from our group.
carnival has not cancelled its port and that seemed severe to me then, what makes yu think it would now!

[quote name='kjdcruiser']Thanks for the websites and information. I had no idea there is a problem there and we leave this weekend on Elation and stop in Belize next Thursday. I called Carnival and they said they are monitoring the situation in Belize but currently we are still scheduled to dock on Thursday. These articles really scared me:eek:[/QUOTE]

Would love to hear about how your trip goes. We're going 1st week of June on Elation.

[quote name='lil nemo']BELIZE IS 1 0F 2 PORTS WE FELT very unsafe in! We were there right after our troops invaded, iraq! i have never seen so many Black hawk choppers flying all around in my entire life!

There were armed military personnel at the pier in full riot gear. we went through 6 armed checkpoints going to the mayan ruins. It was very scary!! when we got out at the ruins we had guards, hired by the tour I THINK, that followed our tour around and we were told not to stray from our group.
carnival has not cancelled its port and that seemed severe to me then, what makes yu think it would now![/QUOTE]

Wow, first we heard of this. I took a private tour to many places in Belize including Belize City, urban, and rural areas to check out a business for sale. Mostly, I was out during the day but sometimes into the evening. I did not notice much more than you would expect here in the states.

Hope you have a better trip next time.

To all those that are cruising in the near future... I will keep you updated when I return from the Valor. I am sailing on Sunday!

I went to Belize about 2 years ago, and went walking outside of the gates. It was a little strange, but their was a shop I had heard of online that was about 3 blocks outside of the gates. I went walking with a friend and she felt very uneasy the whole time. I did notice when I went to take a couple of pictures of some houses any people that were standing outside quickly went inside. It did feel a little strange, but so did Honduras and any 3rd world country I have traveled, just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

Ana

[quote name='NickGlover']I have traveled to many places and have only felt threatened in Miami.[/QUOTE]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=navy]Funny, I had the same thought about south-central LA ! :rolleyes: [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]When in Belize a year and a half ago off the GLORY, I went beyond the little "tourist trap" with the steel fence around it. I entrusted a local 3-toothed man to walk me around town showing me the sights. [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]We went from bar to bar and in several I had 12-15 year-olds semi-nude pranced out for my perusal for prostitution. Disgusting, to say the least. I did notice a lot of political activity (actually went into the print shop for [u]The People's Party of Belize[/u]). You figure out what that title entails. :rolleyes: [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]Being from LA, I always feel reasonably comfortable in these situations (poverty, political unrest, etc.) provided it is daylight time.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]Pretty trashy city, a lot of beggars, dope dealers, etc. But did find one beautiful hospital-white structure in my travels, [u]The United States Embassy[/u]. Big beautiful palm trees, nice high fence, tall flagpole with Marine guards everywhere.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]If the situation is "worse" than it was back then, I can't see why Carnival even stops here, except for the excursions which go into the countryside and out to the reefs, which are probably much safer.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]I must say also, I don't think its easy for a cruise line to just "quit" going to these places. We're now reaching a saturation point on possible stops in the Caribbean (eliminate one where are you going to go to replace it). Where Carnival is developing new stops (e.g., Progreso/Merida with its miles long pier is a great stop, I think), they'll eventually have "replacements" for these trouble spots.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

I understand that they are building a new embassy somewhere else. I also read where the hotels are really suffering and need business. Shutting off the water, cutting fiber optics for communications and taking over us telecom businesses are not visitor friendly things to enourage tourism. There are too many friendly islands like Aruba to have to waste time staying in Belize and other unfriendly unstable places.
I also read online that last week the night before we ported their were violent protests. The only reason the tourist area was untouched is the police blocked the bridge and stopped them from entering. If they had not they said the area would have been looted and vandalized. What business would stay if it was that dangerous?

Archived