Tips for 1st Timers from a 1st Timer

bluebeachbum

Just returned from 7 day Society Island Tour. We stayed one night at the Sheridan in LA which is very close to LAX & has free bus running every 10 min. Both ATN flights were on time & were not quite as bad as I had expected. Arriving @ 8:30 pm it was very hot & humid, better on the return trip. However returning be prepared for a long wait in a long line outside the terminal. Might be better to try a taxi to airport to get there before shuttle buses. As for carry ons, ATN has specific rules which no one pays any attention to. People got on w/3 or more duffles & large suitcases w/no problems. Flight returning was filled, going out was room to upgrade for $1000 - $1200.

We made reservation at the IC thru Expedia which included 2 breakfasts which was a deal as breakfast is about $70 each. We had overwater bungalow which was very nice. Dinner at hotel was also $70 but it is buffet as is breakfast & very good. We had thought to skip the show as have seen similar but it was fantastic & no comparison to others. There is a shuttle from the hotel which will take you to the ship if you ask. The fee is about $5. Reserve in advance as it takes only about 6 people.

Raiatea: This was a very short ride from Papeete. Shops closed on Sun. We did Faaroa River & Island Exploration which was one of the best we did. After the river boat ride we got into 4 x 4's for a great exploration on & off road. Try to get the woman driver's 4x4 as she was excellent.

Taha'a: Another short ride. Spent the day at the private motu, plenty of shade, chairs, kayaks, short tender ride.

BoraBora: Do not take the Sunset Jet Boat excursion. This was the worst excursion in 16 cruises including large & small ships. The jet boat does not jet, you simply ride in slow circles for about an hour, stopping for sunset which if you are lucky they will actually stay until sunset. Stay on the ship & enjoy sunset & save $129 each. We are not water people so did the glass bottom boat to see what we were missing. It was not what the divers saw but gives an idea of the coral. We saw few fish. This ride can be choppy. Shopping: Several shops beyond the craft building. For nice pearls, go thru crafts, turn right, pass bank, try Bora Home. Also art gallery upstairs. Also don't miss the private motu here. It is very beautiful but no chairs, plenty of shade, could be bad current for swimmers. Tender goes every hour. It was windy while anchored here & the ship was swinging on it's anchor so be prepared if you have motion sickness. Also this is a real over-night ride to Moorea & it was very, very rough most of the night.

Moorea: Trail of the Ancients was great. Be prepared for muddy trails & mosquitoes. Disappointed in the Ag. School. It's just a small shop to buy coffee, jams, & ice cream. I had hoped to be able to tour around the school. It is only 2 1/2 hrs. back to Papeete which started off very rough.

And of course, the ship, staff & food was wonderful.

Your experience with carryons was different from ours. When we got in the check-in line, about half way through someone in uniform (I don't know whether he was an airline or government employee) checked our passports and also picked up our carryons and guesstimated whether they were overweight. We then got approval stickers for them. We did see him reject some clearly oversized and overweight bags. I guess the people had to check them.

At the actual check-in desk, my bag was weighed first and it was slightly overweight but then my girlfriend's bag was put on at the same time and our combined weight was OK. It would have been a pain to start moving clothing from bag to bag but we didn't have to.

It's just a small shop to buy coffee, jams, & ice cream. I had hoped to be able to tour around the school.

Oh boy - I have been here three times - the jams are awesome - best I have ever had. I bring them home by the dozen. I toured the area through Albert's Tours when I stayed at the IC Moorea. If ever there again do the tour - its really good.

Cruisedreamer - thats not true about the irons. Regent, Oceania and Azamara have them in the laundry rooms on board. They are just not allowed in individual cabins. I have always felt that this is one of the chief drawbacks on the PG. A laundry room to wash swimsuits etc would be great. I know some people feel that its a holiday so no laundry. But in my case I do laundry only on holidays! We have always used the laundry rooms on the other ships and the iron is excellent for a quick run through of creased clothing.

I agree with you about the PG.It is rough not having a self service laundry on the longer voyages. I don't know the details but it appears that the ship is now offering a prepaid laundry service(you have to pay before boarding which kinda does not make sense). Or, of course, you could pay $1.50 to have the ship's laundry wash them for you!

On the longer voyages, I have literally used every last item in my suitcase which was cutting it close!

Agreed that the laundry cost is not bad and we will get 4 pieces per person free. I wonder how many cruises it will take to get free laundry.

In any event I always take too many clothes when I travel.

I still like the machines and ironing on board Regent etc.

And as I said I never do laundry when at home so dont mind doing so when on vacation!

Archived