Why has Guadeloupe been 'dropped' ?

Tizzy

We have just returned from our Christmas Break to find a message from P&O to say Guadeloupe has been replaced by Antigua on our forthcoming Cruise on Azura. Does anyone know why ?

Bother ! I was really looking forward to visiting a 'new' island !

I really do hate it when itineraries change.

The itineraries are very important to us. We choose them very carefully.

Oh well I am sure we will enjoy Antigua, again !!!

Guadaloupe used to be a regular call for cruise ships but some time ago there were reports of serious political unrest around the port and cruise ships stayed away ever since.

I don't know if it has been altered but, it was a very difficult sea approach to the island and a very restrictive channel had to be followed by cruise ships. ( At that time they were about 60,000 tons )These monster ships they build now would be a nightmare for any navigation officer if its still the same channel.

I saw the Azura cruise was supposed to visit there and was a bit surprised that it was included.

Jimmy

We have just returned from our Christmas Break to find a message from P&O to say Guadeloupe has been replaced by Antigua on our forthcoming Cruise on Azura. Does anyone know why ?

Hi Tizzy

Like Fiona we are 14 Feb and due to call in there, and quite looking forward

To a different port, what cruise date are you .?

Thanks for fore warning us

Sue

We are also due to call at Guadeloupe and also Antigua so if they drop Guadeloupe where will we end up? We're booked on the transatlantic 21 night from 14/03/13. Was really looking forward to visiting Guadeloupe. They cannot add Antigua as this port is already on the itinery.

Hello Tizzy

We are on cruise A305N 21st Feb. had our hardcopy tickets/guide through the post today and it still has Guadeloupe on 5th March, so would appear still on for us.

Regards

Martyn

We're on the 24th January cruise and received a letter a few days ago about the change of port. No explanation as to why though. I like Antigua so I don't mind the change, although I was looking forward to Guadeloupe. One of our ports is Grenada which I had to miss a few years ago because it had been devastated by a hurricane. Looking forward to that, so it seems like a case of "some you win, some you lose"!:)

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it still remains a mystery why Guadeloupe has been dropped from our Cruise. I have not been to Guadeloupe or Martinique so was looking forward to visiting a new island. Our son who starts work on Adonia today (Hi son !) says it is very expensive there, so thinks Antigua is a better port of call. Still no roll call for our cruise on the 24th. Most people seem to be going on the 10th.

I just rang p&o who said as far as they are aware Guadaloupe is still a port of call for Azura ( obviously not 24th January) and that excursions not showing is a system error and they will reload them..not convinced myself but time will tell!

I have just this second finished booking our cruise on the Azura on the P&O website for 31st January 2013. As part of the booking process I had to tick the box to acknowledge that Guadaloupe has been dropped and replaced with Antigua. This is the second occasion that Guadaloupe has been dropped from my cruise itinerary, the first time was on the Ocean Village, where both Martinique and Guadaloupe were dropped due to a general stike and public unrest. I was initially looking forward to visiting Guadaloupe but reading the ports of call forum I was starting to struggle to decide where to go. Also some of the feedback was not very positive. So, all in all I'm please to be going back to Antigua which is an old favourite with loads of beautiful beaches to visit. Dickersons beach here I come :D

Terry

I received email notification overnight from P&O that Guadaloupe has been dropped and replaced with Antigua. Cathy never received this notification because for some reason P&O don't like her lol...thought i'd post the information in case anybody else has problems with P&O emails. Whilst i'm not surprised that we are calling somewhere else I am a little cross that P&O could have told me this on Tuesday rather than pipe up with a load of rubbish about system errors etc!

There is obviously a reason it has been dropped but I am very disappointed not to be visiting this island. I wonder if it has something to do with the questionnaire we had to fill in about which islands we preferred ? Antigua might have proved more popular. I just feel a bit cheated as we chose this Itinerary as it included Guadeloupe. For some reason Antigua has never been a favourite island of ours.

There is obviously a reason it has been dropped but I am very disappointed not to be visiting this island. I wonder if it has something to do with the questionnaire we had to fill in about which islands we preferred ? Antigua might have proved more popular. I just feel a bit cheated as we chose this Itinerary as it included Guadeloupe. For some reason Antigua has never been a favourite island of ours.

Hi Tizzy

The e mail from P&O gives no clear reason, only they have reviewed the itinerary

And says to ensure we enjoy our time ashore have changed to Antigua.

As you say we completed a survey on excursions etc. maybe something

Was high lighted from it.

Sue

Hi Tizzy

The e mail from P&O gives no clear reason, only they have reviewed the itinerary

And says to ensure we enjoy our time ashore have changed to Antigua.

As you say we completed a survey on excursions etc. maybe something

Was high lighted from it.

Sue

Hi Sue, if they do take notice of the surveys, why are they still visiting St Vincent,. Everytime we go there the dw and I take a quick walk around the town and return to the ship......I find this port a waste of time.

We are on the 14/03/13 transatlantic (21 night back to Southampton). Just been on my cruise personaliser to check seat booker for flights and notice that Guadeloupe has been replaced by Dominica. Really dissappointed about this as we now visit Dominica twice as well as St Lucia and St Maarten (these we were aware of). We would have preferred to visit another island. We are also visiting Antigua. Oh well..... hope the weather is good!!!!

Archived