Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old January 9th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile budapest hotels

Does anyone know what hotels AMA uses in Budapest and Prague. We will be going in Oct and wish to book hotels on our own? We would like a hotel close to the river. Thanks to all for your help.
Frances

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

In 2011 AMA was using Intercontinental in Prague. We booked our own with that hotel at a much cheaper price than AMA. Very nice location in the Jewish quarter, walking to everything central and overlooking the river.

Scenic Emerald-Paris to Barcelona Sept 2013
Freedom OTS-E. Caribbean March 2013
Scenic Emerald Amsterdam to Budapest Sept 2012
Emerald Princess-S. Caribbean Jan 2012
AMA Amalegro Prague to Paris Sept 2011
Oceania Insignia Venice -Barcelona -September 2010
Coral Princess Panama Canal FLL to LA Dec 2009
Emerald Princess Baltic Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess S. Caribbean B2B Nov 2008

Old January 9th, 2013, 12:25 PM
10,000+ Club

In November they used Intercontinental in Prague and in Budapest. Both very nice hotels. We stayed elsewhere but part of our group booked their pre and post with AMA.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old January 9th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

In Nov. 2012, AMA used the Sofitel Chain Bridge in Budapest and the Hilton Old Town in Prague. Both were great locations, walking distance to major sights.

Old January 9th, 2013, 04:58 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKML View Post
In Nov. 2012, AMA used the Sofitel Chain Bridge in Budapest and the Hilton Old Town in Prague. Both were great locations, walking distance to major sights.
In November 2012, my AMA group was at Intercontinental in Prague and Sofitel in Budapest.

Old January 9th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
In November 2012, my AMA group was at Intercontinental in Prague and Sofitel in Budapest.
Looks like they alternate the hotels as they indicate in their brochure. You might have to contact AMA to verify which hotel if you do not want to wait until you receive your final tour package.

Old January 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Budapest hotels

Thanks for all the great answere. I am leaning on the Intercontinental in both cities. They both seem like a good choice.
Frances

Old January 10th, 2013, 05:45 PM
10,000+ Club

We look for value and location, and require cleanliness, safety and a good bed.

In November, our group of 9 booked three apartments at Marriott Millenium Executive Apartments in Budapest. Their online advance payment price was excellent and we loved the apartments and the location, 1.5 blocks from the river and smack dab in the pedestrian area.

We were also able to do our laundry in their complimentary self service laundry on each floor.

We would definitely book there again.

In Prague, we stayed at Barcelo Old Town. Loved the location, staff, rooms, size and personal service. Much better than a previous stay at Hilton Prague.

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Anyone have experience with the Hotel Boscolo in Prague?

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

We stayed in Le Meridien when we were in Budapest but I also have to add the caveat that our accommodation was a "freebie" given to us by Tauck. We've never stayed in a 5 star hotel before and we were knocked over by the room, service and great attitude of the staff.

Old January 13th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamworld View Post
Thanks for all the great answere. I am leaning on the Intercontinental in both cities. They both seem like a good choice.
Frances
We stayed at the Intercontinental in Budapest, right by the Danube. AMA wasn't staying there, but Avalon was that time. It was a very nice choice.

AMAWaterways Danube Cruise 2010
RCCL Legend of the Seas Mediterranean Cruise 2008
Celebrity Century Arctic Cruise 2007

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I stayed at the Hilton, which had a wonderful view of the "old" city. On the same trip, my daughter stayed at the Marriott (on the other side of the river) and liked it, too. It was near many of they key places to see. We both used points, which is why we didn't say at the same place

Old January 15th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

We stayed at the Intercontinental prior to our first river cuise in august, it wa the hotel that Avalon was using but we booked privately and got a fantastic price. The position on the Danube was awesome , the hotel and staff were great. I would definitely stay there again.

Old January 15th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

We just returned from the Sofitel Chain Bridge Budapest which we booked specifically to hook up with the AMA Amaverde. We booked a river room, well worth it,great breakfast and very happy with the hotel.

We had a short taxi trip with luggage to ship as it was very cold and though walkable, not with all our luggage.

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

We cruised the AmaLyra in July 2011 and stayer in the Sofitel in Budapest that was fabulous. Nice room with a view of the Chain Bridge and a delicious breakfast. In Prague, we were put up at the Hilton that was horrible. It was dirty and poorly maintained. We moved to a boutique hotel, The Santini, next to the Italian embassy. This place was gorgeous. When I returned, I called Ama to tell them how we loved our cruise and how horrible the Hilton was. I see they discontinued using it.