Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Costa Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Costa Cruises
Read hundreds of Costa Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Costa Cruise Deals.

Go To: Costa Cruises ROLL CALL Forum

Old April 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Missing items from cabin?

A friend of mine, ( loveable but a bit of a scatterbrain ) insists that on a Costa cruise, last year, gifts she had bought for her grand-children, went missing from her cabin.
Anyone else experienced similar accidents ?
Should we keep our I Pad in the safe at all times?

Thank You

Old April 10th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would never leave anything of value sitting out. better safe than sorry.

that being said, I have left money and jewelry sitting out by mistake, and not had anything taken.

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

The steward never knows if anything left out is a deliberate test by the company. I have NEVER had a problem with anything going missing, and as you may gather from the closet space thread, I'm not a paragon of neatness. Far, far more trustworthy than a hotel on land.

Last edited by Dancer Bob; April 10th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombrelle View Post
A friend of mine, ( loveable but a bit of a scatterbrain ) insists that on a Costa cruise, last year, gifts she had bought for her grand-children, went missing from her cabin.
Anyone else experienced similar accidents ?
Should we keep our I Pad in the safe at all times?

Thank You
Can you please be more explicit as to what exactly went missing "bought for her grand-children"?

Toys taken?

Was the "missing items"eported while they were still on the cruise?

You ask "Should we keep our I Pad in the safe at all times?" - in that case there is no need to take it.

Ron

Ron

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M.T. View Post

You ask "Should we keep our I Pad in the safe at all times?" - in that case there is no need to take it.

Ron

Ron
Had a blonde moment there but the penny dropped and now I am ROTFL!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Can you please be more explicit as to what exactly went missing "bought for her grand-children"?

Toys taken?

Was the "missing items"eported while they were still on the cruise?

Ron

Ron
Ron, as initially I mentioned, my friend is a little of a scatterbrain,she went on shore one day and bought gifts for grandchildren, toys, little dresses etc. Had them all in one bag, and the bag disappeared. Yes, she reported it but nothing came of it. I personally, always thought that she must have left it somewhere and forgot but she insists,so I had to ask the question here on C.C.
Ron, about the I Pad, I meant when we go on tours, not to have it in the safe at all times!L.O.L.

Old April 11th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer Bob View Post
The steward never knows if anything left out is a deliberate test by the company. I have NEVER had a problem with anything going missing, and as you may gather from the closet space thread, I'm not a paragon of neatness. Far, far more trustworthy than a hotel on land.
Bob, I always felt this way too, but we will be sailing for the first time on Costa and because of this friend's experience, I just had to ask.
I am glad that no one had any negative experiences.:

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombrelle View Post
Ron, as initially I mentioned, my friend is a little of a scatterbrain,she went on shore one day and bought gifts for grandchildren, toys, little dresses etc. Had them all in one bag, and the bag disappeared. Yes, she reported it but nothing came of it. I personally, always thought that she must have left it somewhere and forgot but she insists,so I had to ask the question here on C.C.
Ron, about the I Pad, I meant when we go on tours, not to have it in the safe at all times!L.O.L.
Things do go missing on a ship, mislaid or forgotten item (e.g. camera on a deck chair) and they are not handed, but lots of such items are handed in by both passengers and crew.

When not in the cabin (ashore, MDR etc.), make it a routine to lock up your valuables and remove any such temptation.

With regards to your friend's missing items (in one bag) there were probably manufactured in the crews home country and they could buy them at a fraction of the cost of what your friend paid. The crews quarters are cramped to say the least, the days where cruise passengers gave the natives (crew) glass beads (pens, prepaid phone cards, postcards or hand knitted scarves) as a tip have long gone, the crew like everyone else likes to have cash and save on cabin space. Crew jobs are sort after and I cannot see a crew member risking his and his entire family's future for a bag lost cost items.

I think your friend mislaid the bag, she should have kept her Eye-Pads in the safe.

Ron

Old April 13th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Things do go missing on a ship, mislaid or forgotten item (e.g. camera on a deck chair) and they are not handed, but lots of such items are handed in by both passengers and crew.

When not in the cabin (ashore, MDR etc.), make it a routine to lock up your valuables and remove any such temptation.

With regards to your friend's missing items (in one bag) there were probably manufactured in the crews home country and they could buy them at a fraction of the cost of what your friend paid. The crews quarters are cramped to say the least, the days where cruise passengers gave the natives (crew) glass beads (pens, prepaid phone cards, postcards or hand knitted scarves) as a tip have long gone, the crew like everyone else likes to have cash and save on cabin space. Crew jobs are sort after and I cannot see a crew member risking his and his entire family's future for a bag lost cost items.

I think your friend mislaid the bag, she should have kept her Eye-Pads in the safe.

Ron
I think so too, but won't tell her, she's a good friend.

Old April 14th, 2013, 10:18 AM
5,000+ Club

Sailed three times with Costa and never had anything go missing in my cabin. I locked away valuable when not using them, but left things bought onboard and ashore lying around and none went missing.

One day however, I took my purse out of the safe and switched the currency from dirhams to reals and instead of putting it in my bag, stupidly left it (and credit cards) lying on the bed when I went ashore. Came back to my room all made and my purse lying on the bed complete with it's entire contents.

MSC Armonia - Las palmas to Venice - Mar 14
Costa Fortuna - Arabian Gulf - jan 14
MSC Musica - Eastern Med & Black Sea - Oct 13
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Aug 13
MSC Sinfonia - Western Med - May 13
Costa Atlantica - Arabian Gulf - Mar 13
MSC Musica - Greek Isles - Sept 12
MSC Opera - Buenos Aires to Southampton Apr 12
Costa Favolosa - Arabian Gulf - Jan 12
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Oct 11
Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean - Jan 11
MSC Musica - Venice to Rio - Nov 10
MSC Melody - Med & Black Sea - Jul 10
MSC Sinfonia - Livorno to Durban - Oct-Nov 09
MSC Fantasia - Western Med - Apr 09
MSC Lirica - Dover to Genoa - Sept 08
MSC Lirica - Transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale - Dover) - Mar-Apr 08
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Sep 07
MSC Opera - - Jul 07
MSC Opera - Eastern & Southern Caribbean - Jan 07
MSC Opera - Western Med - May 06
MSC Opera - Transatlantic (Genoa - Fort Lauderdale) Dec 05-Jan 06
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Jun 05

Old April 14th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoMondo View Post
Sailed three times with Costa and never had anything go missing in my cabin. I locked away valuable when not using them, but left things bought onboard and ashore lying around and none went missing.

One day however, I took my purse out of the safe and switched the currency from dirhams to reals and instead of putting it in my bag, stupidly left it (and credit cards) lying on the bed when I went ashore. Came back to my room all made and my purse lying on the bed complete with it's entire contents.
Good to hear. My good friend must have left that bag somewhere on shore! I prefer to believe that.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Because our laptop does not fit in the safe, we always have to leave it in the room. Nothing has ever happened to it. In fact, we have had a few moments like AmoMondo on several cruises.

We own a hotel ourselves, and sometimes guests claim that something is stolen. People are very quick to accuse others, in my experience 100% of the time it was just mislaid, the item slipped under the bed, the spouse took the money from the wallet to settle the bill, etc. We find lost items in the most ridiculous places (laptop on the toilet seat , guests claiming "no, no, it cannot be in the bathroom" )
2010-Star Princess Eastern Mediterranean
2012-Costa Magica Eastern Mediterranean

Coming up: DIY land trip to Croatia
Extensive DIY land travel in Europe, Turkey, Central America and South-East Asia. We lived in Amsterdam for 15 years.
For river cruisers: we live 60 miles from both Passau and Regensburg.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Never had a problem on 8 Costa Cruises. Left money out, laptop, camera, jewellery etc.

2013 Costa Deliziosa - Oct/Nov (East Med)
2012 Costa neoRomantica - Nov/Dec (Sing-Melb)
2012 Costa Victoria - May - Asia (Sing-Shanghai)
2011 Costa Atlantica - Nov (East Med)
2011 Costa Mediterranea - Nov (West Med)
2011 Costa Classica - April (Asia)
2010 Costa Allegra -Apr (Sing- Civitavecchia)
2009 Costa Allegra -Nov (Asia Sth of Singapore)
2009 Costa Allegra -Apr (Asia Nth of Singapore)
2006 Star Gemini (Straits of Malacca)
1993 P&O Fairstar (South Pacific)
1974 Guglielmo Marconi (Fremantle to Genova via Panama Canal)
1974-75 Guglielmo Marconi (Genova to Fremantle via Capetown)
1965 Sydney (Genova to Fremantle)
1963 Flavia (Fremantle to Naples)

Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

We actually used a plastic bag to put wrappings in, plastic bags that tops came in , the labels off the tops, receipts for the things we'd bought etc, the usual "rubbish" associated with buying and unpacking your purchases. We forgot to put the bag in the rubbish bin - and sure enough - our cabin had been tidied, and the "rubbish" bag was put back on the bed. We took it to mean - if it wasn't in the bin - it wasn't to be thrown out. Never had an issue leaving things out.

Dizzy (Liz)

Coming up: Dawn Princess 4 nights Freo to Freo - April 10 2015

Superstar Gemini - 2002 - Asia -Singapore-Phuket-Kuala Lumpur -Phi Phi Islands -Penang - Malacca
Funchal - 2004 (Aus) - Three days to nowhere (Indian Ocean - south of Femantle)
Superstar Virgo x 2- 2003 & 2007 Asia - Singapore - Phuket - Kuala Lumpur - Langkawi - Penang
Costa Allegra - May 16th 2009 - 14 days Singapore - Ho Chi Minh City - Da Nang - Hong Kong - Kota Kinabula - Borneo - Brunei - Singapore
Pacific Sun - Jan 2010 - 3 days to nowhere Fremantle
Costa Classica - April 2011 - 7 days Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Phuket - Penang - Langkawi - Malacca (not necessarily in that order!!)
Dawn Princess Dec 2013- 14 days Melbourne - NZ return

Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Great to hear that you can leave lap top out! It's great to be able to feel just like home!

Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1948 View Post
We actually used a plastic bag to put wrappings in, plastic bags that tops came in , the labels off the tops, receipts for the things we'd bought etc, the usual "rubbish" associated with buying and unpacking your purchases. We forgot to put the bag in the rubbish bin - and sure enough - our cabin had been tidied, and the "rubbish" bag was put back on the bed. We took it to mean - if it wasn't in the bin - it wasn't to be thrown out. Never had an issue leaving things out.
Liz, your meaage gave me an idea, I'll have to ask Costa if they have a bin big enough for dear MIL.

MIL is a dear old sole. **

Ron

** I have the right sole (not soul) when she walks over me in her jack boots.