New Dining Experience?

Cruisedreamer1

The September/October 2013 edition of Cruise Travel magazine featured the Paul Gauguin cruise ship on its front cover. The article mentioned a new dining experience available in Bora Bora and Moorea called "Marina Dinner" costing $250 for two or $400 for 4. Has anyone tried this dining? As the name implies, is it served down on the ship's marina area?

Is this the beginning of a slippery slope of charging for special dinners on this ship?

Ia Orana,

We offer a Private Dinner on the Ship’s Marina on the m/s Paul Gauguin in Bora Bora and Moorea (weather permitting). This is an exclusive, private dinner for 2 or 4 people on the watersports marina. A table is set with white linens and china and as you dine you can enjoy views of Bora Bora or Moorea. The dinner features a La Veranda menu (with Restaurant Apicius items), wine, and a personal waiter. $250 for a table for 2 or $400 for a table for 4.

We encourage guests who are interested in the Private Marina Dinner, to book it in advance (through their travel agent or by calling Paul Gauguin Cruises at 800-848-6172), since we offer it only once in Bora Bora and once in Moorea, it tends to sell out.

Here is a link to the bon voyage brochure which comes in final cruise documents and lists the Private Dinner on the Ship's Marina: http://www.pgcruises.com/sites/default/files/media/pdf/5839_Bon%20Voyage%20Gifts_final.pdf

...before our cruise this past April, but I cannot recall where we read about it. I was kind of wondering if that is why Capri73 was so upset about the marina not in operation on his cruise. Maybe he had booked the private dining and was disappointed not to take part in such a special experience, as anyone would be, but he never specifically wrote that in any of his postings.

This dinner option seems to be added this year and was in our brochures for PG and TM. If you google this option there was one person who seemed to have done this. Reading that person's review there is no change in menu from other venues just an option for a private dinner in the marina.

The bora bora night you could select from La Veranda dinner menu and Moorea night the only choice was the Polynesian theme.

I may be the minority here but I actually think it is a great idea for those that want that extra special event without affecting others experiences. i wish they would offer more private and exclusive options such as the helicopter to Tupai or dinner at Lagoon by Jean George or even use the Zodiacs for special excursions.

Emdee's DD.

I concur with DD and think its a great option....

There is nothing wrong with additional charged options ...it gives repeat passengers new experiences and first timers special ones. As long as those items that were included are now not being charged.

I am posting from mid Atlantic Ocean and will have to find out who jean George is from DD.

Celebrated my 50th birthday in June with a surprise private marina dinner organized by hubby. What a sweetheart, was definately a highlight of the trip! Arrived at the marina not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised to find a Zodiak waiting to take us out about 10 minutes for a private sunset viewing with a Bora Bora backdrop...amazing! Upon our return we were in awe as we approached the marina that had been set up while we were gone. A beautiful table for two set with white linens, lit tealights lining the perimeter of the marina, two beautiful Gauguines (one with guitar in hand) sweetly serenading us and a staff of 4 waiting to cater to our every whim. Champagne was popped (pre-ordered), toasts were made, hors d'oeuvres were enjoyed and we were presented with La Veranda menu. After perusing the evening's dining options and having a difficult time deciding what to order we decided to leave it up to the chef. The next 2 hours was pure indulgence. After hors d'oeuvres, soups, appetizers (3 were served, I guess the chef couldn't decide either!) and beautiful entrees we were stuffed to the brim and had to gratefully decline dessert. The experience was like no other, we were almost embarrassed as we felt so well taken care of and giggled about feeling like movie stars! I would highly recommend this option for an unforgettable evening!

119.jpg.b704aae42eb82f0482e02a2ebcad2c90.jpg

123.jpg.7f2d05d68cfc8a62c94f8fd0d5c33996.jpg

Celebrated my 50th birthday in June with a surprise private marina dinner organized by hubby. What a sweetheart, was definately a highlight of the trip! Arrived at the marina not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised to find a Zodiak waiting to take us out about 10 minutes for a private sunset viewing with a Bora Bora backdrop...amazing! Upon our return we were in awe as we approached the marina that had been set up while we were gone. A beautiful table for two set with white linens, lit tealights lining the perimeter of the marina, two beautiful Gauguines (one with guitar in hand) sweetly serenading us and a staff of 4 waiting to cater to our every whim. Champagne was popped (pre-ordered), toasts were made, hors d'oeuvres were enjoyed and we were presented with La Veranda menu. After perusing the evening's dining options and having a difficult time deciding what to order we decided to leave it up to the chef. The next 2 hours was pure indulgence. After hors d'oeuvres, soups, appetizers (3 were served, I guess the chef couldn't decide either!) and beautiful entrees we were stuffed to the brim and had to gratefully decline dessert. The experience was like no other, we were almost embarrassed as we felt so well taken care of and giggled about feeling like movie stars! I would highly recommend this option for an unforgettable evening!

WooHoo - way to go. Happy Birthday. Sounds like a really fun time and worth every dime. Thank you for sharing and happy you had a great experience.

Mark

This sounds exactly like what I imagined it would be. It must have been ag lovely way to celebrate your 50th.

Glad this was a great time for you AHA.

For me though I will spend my money on Bora Bora at La Villa Mahana. Very romantic and the best meal of life (X2).

If you were served different food than you can have on the PG every other day at no cost then I would consider this. On the ship now and there is no mention of this anywhere that I have seen. Strange.

When I was on the ship in June I had not seen any mention of it either which is what made it such a lovely surprise. My husband had arranged it before we departed after calling PG looking for suggestions for a celebratory evening. I assume that they don't advertise it onboard due to such limited availability. They can only offer it to two couples during the 7 day cruise (one night at Bora Bora and one night at Moorea) as can't utilize the marina while at sea. That definitely makes it really special and I certainly felt like the Belle of the Ball! Have heard wonderful things about La Villa Mahana... enjoy!

Archived