NASA/Johnson Space Center Info

Loves_Dogs

Sorry - search function isn't working so here goes.

Our flight into Hobby is scheduled to land at 1:21 on a Saturday. The NASA Space Center is open until 7:00 on Saturdays. I figure by the time we get our luggage, hop a cab to the NASA area and hopefully drop our luggage off at an area hotel it will be close to 3:00 (does that sound about right)? This will leave 4 hours until NASA closes. So here are my questions:

- Will 4 hours be enough time to tour NASA?

- Are there any hotels within walking distance?

Thank you advance for your help.

Edited by Loves_Dogs

Our flight into Hobby is scheduled to land at 1:21 on a Saturday. The NASA Space Center is open until 7:00 on Saturdays. I figure by the time we get our luggage, hop a cab to the NASA area and hopefully drop our luggage off at an area hotel it will be close to 3:00 (does that sound about right)? This will leave 4 hours until NASA closes. So here are my questions:

Haven't been to NASA yet, but we are staring right across the street before our cruise in a couple weeks. Used Marriott points to reserve the Courtyard. Looks to be brand new...

No and No.

sorry. you need more time for NASA.

Which port are you going out of? If Galveston, stay on the island and enjoy the island for a few hours (many many many threads on what to do down there) and if Bayport..stay near the Kemah boardwalk and enjoy the evening there.

I would like to offer a different perspective from others who have posted already. First, there are a few hotels right near the entrance to the "Space Center Houston", which is the starting point for Nasa tours in Houston. Here is a link that should take you to a Google map with the closest hotels identified: Nasa Hotels *EDIT*, well that didn't work, but does have a "pin" indicating the entrance to the Space Center. If you click on "Search Nearby" in the pop-up emanating from the "pin", then type "hotels" in the search box, it will show you a number of options. As "Cruise2014Fanatic" said above, there is a Courtyard directly across the street from the entrance to the Space Center.

It might be a bit of a hike up the long driveway from the main road to the Space Center entrance, but really not too bad.

In addition, we stayed at the Hilton Clear Lake (largely because it offers wonderful rooms with spectacular views out over the lake), which is a couple miles away, and which offered a free shuttle van to venues within about a 2-3 mile radius from the hotel. You might check to see whether other hotels closer to Nasa offer a similar service.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and took the shuttle to Nasa, arriving with only about 3 hours before closing time. While this was definitely not enough time for an in-depth tour of the facility, if you're just looking for something fun and interesting to do for a few hours, it's plenty of time to get a "taste" of the offerings.

There are many long and very in-depth tours of the facility, but they also offer a 90 minute tram tour that drives all over the campus, and includes stops at the Historic Mission Control, Building 9 (where there are life-sized mock-ups of International Space Station modules, space vehicles, space suits, etc.), and "Rocket Park", which includes a building that houses a full Saturn V rocket on its side with all the stages/segments separated. We did this tour and still had time to explore the main museum building for about an hour before we had to leave. At the end of the trip, we called the hotel and they sent the shuttle van back to pick us up.

As I say, it was not an in-depth experience, but it was a very nice overview and was a fun way to spend the afternoon, as there really isn't much of anything else in the area near the Houston cruise port. And, it definitely left me with the desire to go back sometime and do one of the longer, more in-depth tours. I was especially envious of the folks on another tour who actually got to go down onto the floor of the original Mission Control room. :)

Finally, it is only about a 15-20 minute drive from the Nasa area to the Houston cruise port; about a $25 cab ride. We were told that none of the local hotels offer shuttles to the cruise port.

Just thought I'd add a little bit of a different point of view, in case it helps. Best of luck.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

I would like to offer a different perspective from others who have posted already. First, there are a few hotels right near the entrance to the "Space Center Houston", which is the starting point for Nasa tours in Houston. Here is a link that should take you to a Google map with the closest hotels identified: Nasa Hotels *EDIT*, well that didn't work, but does have a "pin" indicating the entrance to the Space Center. If you click on "Search Nearby" in the pop-up emanating from the "pin", then type "hotels" in the search box, it will show you a number of options. As "Cruise2014Fanatic" said above, there is a Courtyard directly across the street from the entrance to the Space Center.

It might be a bit of a hike up the long driveway from the main road to the Space Center entrance, but really not too bad.

In addition, we stayed at the Hilton Clear Lake (largely because it offers wonderful rooms with spectacular views out over the lake), which is a couple miles away, and which offered a free shuttle van to venues within about a 2-3 mile radius from the hotel. You might check to see whether other hotels closer to Nasa offer a similar service.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and took the shuttle to Nasa, arriving with only about 3 hours before closing time. While this was definitely not enough time for an in-depth tour of the facility, if you're just looking for something fun and interesting to do for a few hours, it's plenty of time to get a "taste" of the offerings.

There are many long and very in-depth tours of the facility, but they also offer a 90 minute tram tour that drives all over the campus, and includes stops at the Historic Mission Control, Building 9 (where there are life-sized mock-ups of International Space Station modules, space vehicles, space suits, etc.), and "Rocket Park", which includes a building that houses a full Saturn V rocket on its side with all the stages/segments separated. We did this tour and still had time to explore the main museum building for about an hour before we had to leave. At the end of the trip, we called the hotel and they sent the shuttle van back to pick us up.

As I say, it was not an in-depth experience, but it was a very nice overview and was a fun way to spend the afternoon, as there really isn't much of anything else in the area near the Houston cruise port. And, it definitely left me with the desire to go back sometime and do one of the longer, more in-depth tours. I was especially envious of the folks on another tour who actually got to go down onto the floor of the original Mission Control room. :)

Finally, it is only about a 15-20 minute drive from the Nasa area to the Houston cruise port; about a $25 cab ride. We were told that none of the local hotels offer shuttles to the cruise port.

Just thought I'd add a little bit of a different point of view, in case it helps. Best of luck.

THANK YOU! You have given me a lot of good info here. After reading Space Center Houston reviews on Tripadvisor and your experience with only half day I decided we will definitely go there. Many people said you need a whole day, others said a few hours were enough as there were a lot of exhibits geared toward younger children which would not interest us (my son is in college). And I never know when/if we will make it to Houston again so seeing some of NASA is better than none at all.

I was looking at that Hilton Clear Lake (thank you Galveston Cruiser) but reviews were all over the place on Expedia. The Marriott would be a great choice too (thank you Cruise2014Fanatic) since it is right across the street. The web site actually says it is within walking distance to Nasa Johnson Space Center. There is also a Hampton Inn that is close. Need to make up my mind where to stay.

As you said, its something fun and interesting to do. And definitely better than spending our first vacation day sitting around a hotel room. We are not 'beach' people, and the last time I went to an amusement park (such as Kemah Boardwalk) my neck hurt for a month from the rides and I don't want to do that before my cruise.

A huge thanks to everyone - I love these boards!

There are a couple of other pieces to this puzzle. What airport are you landing at? What time of year are you doing this cruise? And by the way, Kemah is not just an amusement park. My first choice of places to stay would always be in the Kemah area.

There are a couple of other pieces to this puzzle. What airport are you landing at? What time of year are you doing this cruise? And by the way, Kemah is not just an amusement park. My first choice of places to stay would always be in the Kemah area.

She says Hobby, so I'm thinking that's a good planning. IAH is always going to take longer to get out to the clear lake area. Kemah isn't just an amusement park, but honestly the boardwalk isn't so unique that I'd make it my 1st priority.

And yes, there are a lot of things at Space Center Houston that are geared toward kids (but some of it is also good for adults). You can get a discount by buying your tickets online in advance, and I'd suggest you look for tram tours the second you get there - they can sometimes sell out.

She says Hobby, so I'm thinking that's a good planning. IAH is always going to take longer to get out to the clear lake area. Kemah isn't just an amusement park, but honestly the boardwalk isn't so unique that I'd make it my 1st priority.

And yes, there are a lot of things at Space Center Houston that are geared toward kids (but some of it is also good for adults). You can get a discount by buying your tickets online in advance, and I'd suggest you look for tram tours the second you get there - they can sometimes sell out.

I did look at Kemah website and trip adviser reviews and saw it had shopping, restaurants and shows. Looked at the schedule of date we would be there (5/24) and it just said 'dive into summer fun'. Most reviews seem to focus on the rides. While I wouldn't mind looking at shops, my son would rather have a tooth pulled.

Thank you for the tip to buy NASA tickets in advance for discounted price. I will do that for sure and will also take your advice and go to the tram tour first thing. Hope it will not already be sold out!

One other thing to consider is renting a car for the week if you get a good deal. You can then go wherever and get straight to NASA for more time there then head to hotel with bags etc. it could work out less expensive than the various taxis you need to get around.

One other thing to consider is renting a car for the week if you get a good deal. You can then go wherever and get straight to NASA for more time there then head to hotel with bags etc. it could work out less expensive than the various taxis you need to get around.

I know you are right and I wish I could get up enough nerve to do this. I am one of those unfortunate people who get extremely nervous driving in new places. And after 34 years of driving with a perfect record, I had my first accident back in October (my fault) which has made me somewhat of a 'nervous nellie' behind the wheel even here in my own town. I really appreciate the suggestion but I think I will just pay the cab fare and have a stress free day in the beautiful Houston/Galveston area. The locals on these boards have been so friendly and helpful, I cannot wait to cruise out of Galveston!

• 4 weeks later...
Haven't been to NASA yet, but we are staring right across the street before our cruise in a couple weeks. Used Marriott points to reserve the Courtyard. Looks to be brand new...

Welcome back! Hope you had a great cruise. I booked this Marriott for my cruise. How was it? Any decent restaurants within walking distance? Did you take a cab to the port, if so do you remember the cost? Any information is greatly appreciated.