Prinsendam dining rooms

Pettifogger

When Prinendam cruise documents say the "upper dining room", to which of the adjoining dining rooms do they refer, the larger one on the smaller one at the side? Does "upper dining room" imply open or fixed dining? Thank you.
I never heard either referred to as the "upper" when we were on her, but the Open seating is mixed in with the Fixed in the main room:

http://wa70.com/hal/dining/PrdmAYWdseating-New052708.jpg

(click to enlarge)

But if you are on a Grand Voyage or any segment of one there is no Open. We were on a GV segment that was about 250 people short of capacity, so they weren't even using the smaller room.

Edited by jtl513

When Prinendam cruise documents say the "upper dining room", to which of the adjoining dining rooms do they refer, the larger one on the smaller one at the side? Does "upper dining room" imply open or fixed dining? Thank you.

I checked my old documents and never saw that.

Did you book fixed dining? I think if you did they are referring to the smaller one that is more forward (my preferred location) - totally different than the larger area that has open and fixed mixed.

The two dinning rooms are on the same floor. The smaller room is used for guests with fixed seating. The larger room is for fixed and open seating.

Not always..They didn't have open seating last January on our Grand South America/Antarctica cruise. Understand none of the Grand Cruises have open seating.. Have no idea why..

Cheers..Betty

I checked my old documents and never saw that.

Did you book fixed dining? I think if you did they are referring to the smaller one that is more forward (my preferred location) - totally different than the larger area that has open and fixed mixed.

kazu,

I would be interested in learning why you prefer the smaller, forward dining room. Ever since this ship was built as Royal Viking Sun, I have been concerned about this room being "cut off" from the main dining room. And, it is a reason I have never considered booking her in any of her different funnel insignias.

Thank you for your insights.

kazu,

I would be interested in learning why you prefer the smaller, forward dining room. Ever since this ship was built as Royal Viking Sun, I have been concerned about this room being "cut off" from the main dining room. And, it is a reason I have never considered booking her in any of her different funnel insignias.

Not kazu, but I will give you my reasons why I prefer the smaller dining room.

I have been in both dining rooms on separate long-ish (around 20 days each) cruises. I found the smaller room more intimate, and definitely quieter.

There was lovely sunlight filling the entire dining portion of the smaller room, whereas most of the larger room was away from the windows.

I liked that it was a short walk from cocktail time in the Ocean Bar to the dining table! :) There are doors, and a small vestibule between, though, so there's no noise coming in.

Any parades, or "show" on the last night is primarily played to the larger dining room, so the smaller room doesn't have dinner, dessert, chatting interfered with.

The woodwork is gorgeous! And it's fun to watch people descend the staircase from the Explorers Lounge.

kazu,

Thank you for your insights.

Not kazu, but I will give you my reasons why I prefer the smaller dining room.

I have been in both dining rooms on separate long-ish (around 20 days each) cruises. I found the smaller room more intimate, and definitely quieter.

There was lovely sunlight filling the entire dining portion of the smaller room, whereas most of the larger room was away from the windows.

I liked that it was a short walk from cocktail time in the Ocean Bar to the dining table! :) There are doors, and a small vestibule between, though, so there's no noise coming in.

Any parades, or "show" on the last night is primarily played to the larger dining room, so the smaller room doesn't have dinner, dessert, chatting interfered with.

The woodwork is gorgeous! And it's fun to watch people descend the staircase from the Explorers Lounge.

That - what Ruth said pretty much sums it up. It is far more intimate and you are not interrupted by people being seated for open dining. Plus in the bigger portion, the window seats are primarily for open dining. In the forward section there are tons of windows and even if you are not next to it, you can see out easily.

Plus it is so easy to get to after listening to the Adagio STrings - you just go down the staircase.

Thanks Ruth and kazu for your responses. Sounds like my thinking about the smaller dining room is incorrect. When I first saw the deck plan for Royal Viking Sun, my first reaction to seeing the smaller room was: whomever is seated there may feel like 2nd Class guests.

Thanks Ruth and kazu for your responses. Sounds like my thinking about the smaller dining room is incorrect. When I first saw the deck plan for Royal Viking Sun, my first reaction to seeing the smaller room was: whomever is seated there may feel like 2nd Class guests.

I was actually concerned too when I first looked at the plans. Thanks to the help on the boards (like RuthC) who kindly gave advice, I took it. I love that forward dining room. It is definitely our place of choice:D

Do you have to make a choice between the small or large dinning room for all meals, or are you able to vary from day to day

Is this available for both fixed and open dinning

Open seating is in the larger, aft dining room only. The open seating tables are around the perimeter.

Fixed seating is in the smaller dining room, and the inner portion of the aft dining room. It is just that---fixed. You have a set time, table, and tablemates which does not change during the cruise (with the exception of specialty restaurants, Lido, and room service).

Edited by RuthC