Baltimore: Light Rail/Hotel Questions

We will be arriving in Baltimore a day early and need transportation to cruise terminal. We would also like to check out inner harbor pre-cruise. I 'think" I understand my options, but I have some questions. Which option would you choose? Why?

Option A Cheapest: Get hotel at airport that has cruise transportation. Use light rail to inner harbor pre-cruise (leaving lugggage at hotel). We're from Detroit Metro area, so we are aware of need to be cautious at night. How safe would the light rail be to get back to the hotel after midnight?

Option B More expensive and harder with luggage: Take light rail WITH luggage to inner harbor hotel. The hotel will be more $, but It would be nice to stay downtown near the action. I'm not sure if light rail allows luggage (their web page doesn't say)? Either choose an inner harbor hotel with pier transfers (not sure it those exist, if they do recommendations?) or grab a taxi in the morning from inner harbor to pier (how much would that be?)

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'd choose Option B because the light rail closes at 11 pm Mon-Sat, 7 pm on Sunday. Of course you can bring your luggage on board. The port is very close to the Inner Harbor by cab but not walking distance due to it's location near highways. Shouldn't be more than $15-20 cab fare if you choose a hotel in that area. Check out Visit Baltimore website for city hotel recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes it allows luggage but you WILL have to haul it up several steps into the car...look at the pix on line..

Cab from Inner Harbor to the pier should be eh, 15-20 bucks plus tip, give or take...

The Light Rail does NOT stop IN the Inner Harbor...closest is Camden Yards and then you'd have a several block walk depending on which hotel you select.

IMO, get a cab from the airport and save the wear and tear on YOU on your vacation.....They must run the meter from what I can see (but it depends on the kind of cab you get....cabs from different counties have different rules I think....)

http://www.bwiairporttaxi.com/

Looks like the fare is around 35 bucks or so...I remember paying about that, give or take, to the pier...again, only certain cabs can leave from BWI.....

Edited by megr1125

I'd choose Option B because the light rail closes at 11 pm Mon-Sat, 7 pm on Sunday. Of course you can bring your luggage on board. The port is very close to the Inner Harbor by cab but not walking distance due to it's location near highways. Shouldn't be more than $15-20 cab fare if you choose a hotel in that area. Check out Visit Baltimore website for city hotel recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with this. Also of note with light rail, the only light rail stops in the airport area are the main terminal and a stop called BWI Business District.

Airport area hotels would normally run you to the terminal to catch light rail.

For what you want to do I would stay at the Inner Harbor. There are plenty of hotels there. You already know what to expect price wise staying in a downtown/Inner Harbor hotel. A taxi from an Inner Harbor hotel to the cruise terminal should be about $12-$15.

Edited by Eng23

I don't think any of the hotels that you'd actually want to stay in have port transportation (the down town ones.)

PLEASE AVOID the Best Western on O Donnell street....that area is NOT nice and there's a reason they have a cruise package...it's just not safe....

The Holiday Inn Express by the stadiums MAY have one...

Otherwise, just pick a hotel...there are many. Also the Harbor East area is nice, and you can walk to the main part of the inner harbor....

If you give dates and budget maybe we can give better ideas...there are a few Marriott brands, Hilton, Hyatt, a Sheraton or 2....and several others...

A couple of questions about taxi's and the Inner Harbor.

How much is a taxi from the Inner Harbor to the port? Hotel is the Embassy Suites. Never stayed in Baltimore, any good places for dinner? And a taxi from the port to BWI?

Thanks.

A couple of questions about taxi's and the Inner Harbor.

How much is a taxi from the Inner Harbor to the port? Hotel is the Embassy Suites. Never stayed in Baltimore, any good places for dinner? And a taxi from the port to BWI?

Thanks.

Not sure where exactly it is but there should be places close by. Little Italy has great places and some of them used to come get you at the hotel!!

Cab to the pier should be 15-20-ish plus tip and from the pier to the airport figure around 35-40 plus tip....not sure if it's a flat rate or not. Cabs FROM the airport are regulated and MUST run the meter, but Baltimore City is in another county so rules may differ...

I think I paid around 35 to an airport area hotel from the pier, maybe less but not more...plus tip....

Thanks for the link to Little Italy, a greater selection of Italian restaurants than Hartford. Just remembered that we have Frank Pepe's pizza. :)

I should have wrote that the hotel is the Embassy Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor.

Yes, I looked at the map...seems to be a few blocks from all the 'stuff"....

Haven't seen that hotel yet, but you should be fine....

I would skip eating in the Inner Harbor buildings though, they're basically all chains...

Little Italy should be yummy, and you can hit Vaccaros for dessert!

Oh, I second that! Vacarro's is amazing and a must-try for their awesome gelato and delicious italian cookies and pastries. Hopefully, you won't have to wait in a long line when you go. Make sure you ask to taste test some of the gelatos. They welcome it!

• 3 weeks later...
Restaurants:

Charleston ($$$$)

James Joyce pub

Lebanese taverna

If you do Little Italy: la tavola. Avoid sabatinos. Seems to get recommendations a lot but it stopped being good 20+ years ago

Respectfully disagee with you on Sabatinos. Stll the best in Litte Italy as I have been to many of the restaurants there over the past 40 years.