Pg Lovers thread

Emdee

This is a thread to get away from all the negativity so only genuine Pg lovers need apply!

So what is your funniest PG story? What is your heart warming PG story?

Let's hear it folks.

My most uplifting moment on the Paul Gauguin comes from exactly one year ago today. It was our seventh sailing on the PG and unfortunately, the only one that I didn’t really enjoy as much as I always do.

We had put together a group of about 20 friends that we called the Villagers and we were throwing a little sail-away party on deck 9. We had a great time and most of the senior staff were able to join us for at least part of the event. I did have a couple of cocktails, but noticed that they were affecting me a LOT more than usual. The next day I was in the Medical Center on deck 3, with what turned out to be a kidney stone (and they do hurt as much as they say!).

After spending the next three days in and out of the Medical Center, mostly calling the doctor at 1am each night, we decided that it was time to cut our vacation short. This was not a decision that I could come to quickly, but I just was not getting better.

The staff, both on board and at the corporate headquarters did more than I would have EVER expected to make sure I was comfortable and, when it became apparent that it would be necessary to leave the ship mid-cruise, they handled all the details in an extremely professional and caring manner. I cannot imagine another cruise line where the Hotel Director would take such a personal interest in the well-being of an ill passenger and monitor EVERY step in the process of getting me the care and transportation necessary.

I had met Jacques Le Telac on previous cruises and he was always very helpful when I had a minor concern (like…”do I still get Internet access?”), but I am so VERY thankful for his help during my illness. Jacques and his staff not only made some rather complex arrangements, but monitored our every move as we took a water taxi, then Air Tahiti, then taxi, hotel, taxi and finally Air Tahiti Nui on our return home.

Unfortunately, there were delayed flights from Raiatea to Papeete that caused us to arrive too late in Papeete to meet with the Urologist (that they had arranged for) at the hospital. I was worried about the long flight home without any treatment or at least pain medication, but when the taxi driver (pre-arranged by PGC staff) dropped us at the hotel, there was a doctor waiting in our hotel room who addressed all my concerns before our flight.

In a letter to the President of PGC, Diane Moore, I said that this was most definitely service above and beyond the call of duty and PG Cruise Lines definitely is our cruise line of choice and that we WOULD be back for many more sailings on the Paul Gauguin. In fact, we ended up booking the 12/28/13 sailing, in part so we could thank all of the staff and crew in person (and because my wife insisted that ‘the last cruise didn’t count’). At the risk of forgetting someone, what follows is a list of the exceptional staff that helped us:

Captain Toni Tomljanovic

Hotel Director Jacques Le Telac

Guest Relations Manager Nadege

Cruise Director Michael Shapiro

Dr. Igor Gramadskyi

Teresita Lanaja, RN

Shawna Orendorff

When we returned over New Year’s Eve, we were once again greeted like family and enjoyed catching up with everyone on our “make-up cruise”. We will always be loyal passengers of Paul Gauguin Cruise Lines. We are booked on the Venice/Croatia Reunion Cruise on the TM, but I am not sure I can make it a couple of years without a visit to the PG, so we may join Tattoo Boy on the PG in June of next year as well.

Mauruuru to everyone at Paul Gauguin

Edited by MotuIslander

I knew you were out of commission Motu but good to hear the whole story. Hope it never happens to anyone but nice to know if these kind of things do happen 'our PG family' is there to assist.

In 2011 when I sailed with Motu we were leaving to watch Heiva in Tahiti when we met a PG employee who was just off his long flight from the Phillipines (via LAX) and returning for a contract on board. I know when we return home after a long flight such as this we barely have the energy to dump our bags shower and off to bed. This young man put his bags down shook our hands and welcomed us back to the Pg and chatted with us. The warmth and welcome of PG staff on every cruise has been stupendous. It really makes the PG seem a second home to us albeit one we are unable to visit too often. So when they say welcome home to one on arrival its somehow sounds right. All this and the beauty of FP? Its hard not to want to go back time after time. Its no wonder that the repeater percentage is so high on the PG and one has to consider that barring this year there have been only 4 or 5 itineraries sailed.

And now a couple of funny ones...

Last year there was a little two year old girl travelling with her mother. Maitre Miki ( miss you Miki) was amazed that she knew his name after the first day and mentioned it to us.

We happened to have lunch with the family on Motu Mahana and when chatting with her mother we discussed Miki's reaction. I put my foot in it saying the name was familiar to her daughter as she knew Mickey Mouse. The little girl was quietly eating her lunch but nevertheless listened to the conversation. On our return to the ship she was quick to shout out Mickey Mouse to poor Miki who turned red and lost his perfect Maitre composure for a bit. No amount of shushing her would change her mind ... she kept calling him Mickey Mouse to the last day and knowing that Miki didnt like it she did it again with shining eyes and a naughty smile.

There is also the story of the young 5 year girl on the PG who is supposed to have put all the puzzle pieces of the 90% completed puzzle back in the box as 'toys' were supposed to be put away!

I was on that cruise when a neat freak child spoiled the joys of a completed puzzle by "cleaning it up" I came by just after she was putting the lid on. It was an especially hard puzzle for those who worked on it.

I remember waking up on the deck while sunbathing to find one of the waiters standing with a fresh diet Coke for me since the other was warm.

The funniest story at least to us was when we invited 2 other couples to our cabin to have a drink and chat. One couple was our neighbor in the cabin next to us and they liked a particular red wine so when I was finished ordering the other couples' drinks and snacks I passed the phone to our neighbor who had a lengthy discussion explaining why the 4 red wine drinks were doing to 6-- instead of his cabin when the room service staff knew that he was in ours! I imagine that the staff in the kitchen had a laugh!

Sounds as if the PG did what they do best.....customer service! Mr. Circus Girl and I had a contest as what color your face would be when you came on deck. I said, bluish-green and since Circus Girl said yellow....I won and she had to buy me drinks the rest of the cruise!

All kidding aside, Michael kept the Villagers updated on your progress! Glad you are back to normal...

See you next June!

Tat

Darn, the negative stuff is more fun.... Great stories guys. I have to collect my thoughts to talk about our ill fated (but loads of fun) Sydney to Papeete 2012 cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh, I like this thread! What a great story, motuislander! Very good to know that you were well cared for.

My husband loves to tell this story about the great service on the PG, but I'm going to steal it today: Just a couple of days into our cruise, he left behind his sunglasses at our breakfast table in La Veranda. Realized as we returned to the cabin that he had done so. Knock on door. It’s Ivan, manager of the dining room who had his sunglasses. So impressed my husband that Ivan returned them himself and that he found us so quickly.

Like many others, my DH and I had taken our "once in a lifetime" cruise on the Paul Gauguin in 2005. Twelve months later, as we walked up the gangway for our second, longer cruise, I was overcome with one of the most intense feelings of joy and happiness I have experienced in my adult life. As I reentered the ship, I knew what awaited me; excellent accommodations and service, beautiful landscapes and islands and a relaxed atmosphere. Euphoria! Second cruise led to a third wonderful 14 day trip in 2008 and will be returning in just 11 weeks as we have not found a place we love as much in the last 6 years of traveling.

Some other wonderful moments:

Being greeted with Good evening, Lovely madame by the wonderful Tess

Sunsets at La Palette -including the “green flash” once

Last to board the first tender to Motu Mahana--just happened to be first one off! Again with the euphoria-plus I felt like I’d won the Amazing Race.:)

What a lovely thread, so nice to hear uplifting stories.

I too have many tales, but I'd like to share the one how during one PG cruise we made a connection with one of the lovely gauguinnes, Vahinare. When we booked to return for another sailing she wanted us to let her know. Unfortunately this cruise was when she was off the ship - but since she resided in Moorea, she was at the dock waiting for us to disembark just so she could say 'hi' to us in Tahiti.

Having this delightful girl take time away from her vacation to arrange with her sister to drive her over just to welcome us to her island - well, it makes each moment we spend on the PG special.

The central theme in my best memories from PG have the captain and crew as central players. As others have more eloquently said before, the crew on the PG are second to none, and are a huge part of why we return.

Our fifth on board the PG was in November 2009. We took this cruise as a farewell to the PG.. It was the 17 day Papeete to Fiji and unlike Twin we had some wonderful weather.

Not that many nice things to say about the passengers whom we found incredibly nosy. However we had some great times.

I remember Randy pouring plenty of Tattinger on the pearl sale day well. It was the last time we saw Ann in the ships boutique and fitting that I was finally called by a string of pearls in the boutique. Had tried so hard to buy a string in previous trips but the darn things never called me.

I particularly remember the last night when the PG song was sung by the pool. The tears just kept rolling down my cheeks. I was not the only one crying. The lady behind me who was both a Regent and PG fan was also sobbing. There was a sombreness that evening and our farewells with favourite staff were all choked. Farewell Paul Gauguin or so I thought...

6 months later Motu went on the ship with his Villager friends. I remember him telling me that we had to go on the ship, we had to make the PG a going concern as it was too valuable to collectively lose. Our motives were selfish no doubt but our hearts were open. I booked our 6 th trip together with Motu in 2011 followed by our 7th last year with Loungelizard and others.

I started bringing family and friends on board and have a few coming with us on the Reunion cruise. People do think we are a bit crazy making the long trek from Toronto when there are lovely islands like the Turks much nearer. It's hard to explain to those who haven't been that it's the PG that calls us and so many others. When we met him on Tere Moana Richard Bailey mentioned that in a focus group which he had in the early days he was surprised to find that people were so passionate about the PG. Yes we may be cheerleaders but it's really because the PG is very close to our hearts.

Cannot wait for September.

Thanks Emdee!

We were all concerned for the future of the PG in the Post-Regent days. I was SO thrilled to report back to you and others on CC that the ship and crew were better than ever. Every time we go on board we remember how so many of the crew have been on board (although most now in a more responsible role) since the early days. This is why six months after each sailing, the PG flu sets in once again and will not be denied for long. :o

~Motu~

Edited by MotuIslander

Like many others, my DH and I had taken our "once in a lifetime" cruise on the Paul Gauguin in 2005. Twelve months later, as we walked up the gangway for our second, longer cruise, I was overcome with one of the most intense feelings of joy and happiness I have experienced in my adult life. ... Euphoria!

Yes, euphoria is the word! Our first Paul Gauguin cruise, our 20th anniversary in May 2000. Never been on a cruise ship before. Usual Saturday start from Papeete, with a festival-like atmosphere down by the roulottes, lit up beautifully. Our soon-to-be favourite Gauguine, Henwenui (never did know how to spell this name), on her *first* trip stood beside us on the rail, waving goodbye to her father down below. Siglo playing "I Love the Night Life", a disco classic by Alicia Bridges. Suddenly, the boat was moving in a stately fashion away from the dock. I was filled with a frizzon of intense joy, one that I'll never forget. That song, even singing it in my head, still brings me to tears.

Henwenui went on to be the senior Gauguine, and then retired and went to work with ATN. We were standing in the Business line to check in at Fa'aa in 2008, and there she was--and she remembered us!

There is also the story of the young 5 year girl on the PG who is supposed to have put all the puzzle pieces of the 90% completed puzzle back in the box as 'toys' were supposed to be put away!

You know, I think I was on that cruise too, with CruiseDreamer1. The story sounds eerily familiar!

And then there was the maitre'd of L'Etoile, Franco (he's with Regent now.) We walked into the dining room for our first ever cruise dining experience. There he was, in his tuxedo, and I was totally intimidated by him. But he treated us like royalty, always, and I was put at ease. I told him this years later, and he smiled--such a nice man.

I too had Franco on my first PG cruise. I thought him a bit snobbish. Saw him on the Navigator a few years later and he was not snobby at all.

He did seem snobbish and very intimidating as I said, but he was very kind to us. In those days there were still some long gowns on the PG, btw.

Wendy, my first was in 2003.

We had actually booked to go on the Tahaitian Princess in June 2003 as my daughter's High School graduation trip. Unfortunately it was SARS time here and DH was asked to stay in town and we were forced to cancel. On a short make up Caribbean trip DD Chiara told us about the PG and how we should go on it since she wouldnt be coming with us and would be off to University. We make a snap decision and booked. Of course it was love at first sight (and first bite) and the rest is history. Even before we left the ship we booked to come back within 6 months in reading week so that DD could also enjoy FP.

Our first two trips did not include drinks except wine with meals. But the PG was always very generous with drinks at various events poolside and in the lounge. I think our third was the first new years cruise when it became all inclusive and DD sailed free as the third in the cabin.

My particular favourite was the sail into Moorea. I remember seeing those gorgeous peaks for the first time and the various shades of blue in the lagoon. Now the lagoon has changed quite a bit over time and the sail into Motu Mahana is now my favourite.

Edited by Emdee

Wendy, my first was in 2003.

We had actually booked to go on the Tahaitian Princess in June 2003 as my daughter's High School graduation trip. Unfortunately it was SARS time here and DH was asked to stay in town and we were forced to cancel. ...

Our first two trips did not include drinks except wine with meals. But the PG was always very generous with drinks at various events poolside and in the lounge. I think our third was the first new years cruise when it became all inclusive and DD sailed free as the third in the cabin.

My particular favourite was the sail into Moorea. I remember seeing those gorgeous peaks for the first time and the various shades of blue in the lagoon. Now the lagoon has changed quite a bit over time and the sail into Motu Mahana is now my favourite.

Funny, our second PG was during the SARS crisis as well--I was terrified that we wouldn't make it out of Toronto, and then that they wouldn't let us on the ship. In fact, all Canadians onboard were asked to be interviewed by the ship's doctor, and have our temperatures taken.

I too remember that, despite not being totally inclusive for drinks, there was so much free-flowing liquor at special events on deck, that our bar bill for our first trip was $5, David having decided to order a drink especially for this reason.

Funny, our second PG was during the SARS crisis as well--I was terrified that we wouldn't make it out of Toronto, and then that they wouldn't let us on the ship. In fact, all Canadians onboard were asked to be interviewed by the ship's doctor, and have our temperatures taken.

I too remember that, despite not being totally inclusive for drinks, there was so much free-flowing liquor at special events on deck, that our bar bill for our first trip was $5, David having decided to order a drink especially for this reason.

For us SARS was very close to home as Colin pretty much ran the outbreak for Ontario as CMOH. He worked all hours with the press on his tail.

I remember one night when he called me to tell me that he may have been exposed. I was to prepare a separate room and keep Chiara away. We were to wear masks at all times. Fortunately a few hours later he called that he was not exposed after they traced the actions of the sick person. Rather than wait he had wandered away to use a land line elsewhere and that saved him.....

My first PG cruise in January 2010 was the second one for the current owners. We didn't know what to expect but it turned out to be so good here we are about to take my fifth. The relationships both with fellow passengers and crew - there are both I am still in contact to this day something that I have never done with any other ship. My most recent trip in 2013 with some of the crew different was equally fantastic and it was great to meet new friends. The ill fated 2012 Sydney to Papeete cruise could have been terrible as the following all happened: the ship delayed a day in Brisbane ( they put us up in a great hotel with an awesome buffet), terrible weather including 2 typhoons and crazy seas water was rising ABOVE my porthole on deck 3) that caused us to miss a few ports, an earthquake, "pirates" in Vanuatu (not a planned port but the local officials extorted $5000 out of the ship to let us anchor there - luckily the earthquake pummeled them 30 minutes after we left). All these things could have made anyone hate the PG but instead crew and passengers banded together to make the best of a situation that most crew and passengers had never experienced. Hell, the ship even paid $5000 to get the satellite feed of the Super Bowl for us and had a great party. This was the first 9 days! The last 7 days in French Polynesia were wonderful. It turned out to be a trip for the ages and we will never forget one moment of it. Some people did a lot of bitching but MOST made the best of the situation. Off to the next adventure!

This is the approved version. (I hope)

Edited by twin123185

Travel and Leisure announced cruise ship rankings today and number one in the small ship category is Paul Gauguin cruises. Seabourn amd Windstar are 2 and 3!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app