Just Returned From The Pride

schpsych

I just returned from the Pride last Sunday, 7/17. I wanted to post for anyone who may be contemplating booking with Carnival but are hesitant because: A) It's party, party, party, 24/7. B) Carnival is overun with unruly, unsupervised children/adolescent thugs creating havoc everywhere. C) People are drunk and throwing up on everyone else. D) Food, service, shows, drinks, etc. suck. E) Security must break up fights onboard/does nothing about fights onboard. F) Carnival attracts a "lower class" of people. All I can say is:

DO NOT HESITATE TO BOOK. My family and I have sailed 3 previous times on Royal Caribbean and were hesitant to book Carnival because of posts suggesting the above. I cannot speak for other Carnival ships but I can tell you the above did not happen to any degree. Does the above occur sometimes? Of course, because it occurs to a degree everywhere. To answer the above: A) There were plenty of activities and people did drink (including my wife and I) at a reasonable rate expected of a resort vacation. I heard no loud, late night partying that would have disturbed anyone not involved in it. B) There were lots and lots of kids, including my 13-year-old. For the most part, well behaved and not out of control. I was told by a cruismate who happens to also be a teacher, that there was a group of boys on the elevator one night who spit into the lobby each time the elevator doors opened. She told them to nock it off (as only a teacher can do), and they did. Otherwise, the kids were well behaved and most of the people I spoke to, had their kids with them. I met wonderful parents and their kids having the times of their lives. C) Saw no one drunk enough to throw up (at least in public). The most drunk people I saw were some women traveling together whose drunkeness cause them to giggle more than the rest of us. D) Food, shows, drinks, etc. were good to excellent with my wife's opinion that CCL's food was better and offered more variety than RCI (opinion not meant to create debate). E) Security was visable in most areas, particularly around the pool and was quite vigilant in politely enforcing pool rules to kids and adults. No fights or even loud verbal discussions were seen. F) The people we met were from all different professions and certainly would not consider them to be "lower class". The ship did seem to have more "newbies" but it actually made the cruise more fun as we get to tell them all the fun parts of cruising they have not yet experienced. It also makes a great conversation starter. In addition, I did not see the "chair hogs" anyday. Seadays still had chairs around the pool and lots on the higher decks. Maybe CCL is enforcing the "no save" rule but it was never a problem.

I'll try and post a review after I recover but wanted to let those who were not sure about Carnival that it's OK to go ahead and book. We had a great time on the Pride.

ps

probably the friendliest crew we have sailed with. And, I did not hear the continued blast of announments others have spoken of.

Thanks for the Pride information. We sail on August 7th with our 12 & 14 year old daughters. Did you find the evening shows appropriate for your 13 year old? I'm okay with mildly PG-13, but I'm hoping to avoid anything too raunchy.

Also, my girls are curious about the movies. Is there a theater? What movies were playing?

Thanks.

Kim

Glad to hear it! I booked Carnival mainly because when I went to a TA, she took a look at me and said "Oh, you're not the Carnival Type"...whatever that was supposed to mean.I figure @45 I'm not too old to have a great time! Our last cruise was on Celebrity and it was pretty mellow...we're going on Pride May 7th,2006 for our 25th Anniversary. So far, we have about 12 other friends booked. Looking forward to a great time!

Thanks for the Pride information. We sail on August 7th with our 12 & 14 year old daughters. Did you find the evening shows appropriate for your 13 year old? I'm okay with mildly PG-13, but I'm hoping to avoid anything too raunchy.

Also, my girls are curious about the movies. Is there a theater? What movies were playing?

Thanks.

Kim

A couple of the shows, the dancers wear thongs under their skirts. My son enjoyed them! I don't think it's inappropriate compared to what's on t.v in music videos, etc. Nothing really too raunchy and they advise which shows are adults, pg13 etc. They showed 2 movies on board, one rated PG-13, the other R. I don't remember their names. They also show movies in cabin as well as pay-per-view. Showed Because of Winn Dixie and a few others. The truth is, except while getting ready for something else, or at night before bed, there is too much to do to sit inside and watch movies. Your girls should have a great time. There will be lots of kids their age, both girls and boys.

Glad to hear it! I booked Carnival mainly because when I went to a TA, she took a look at me and said "Oh, you're not the Carnival Type"...whatever that was supposed to mean.I figure @45 I'm not too old to have a great time! Our last cruise was on Celebrity and it was pretty mellow...we're going on Pride May 7th,2006 for our 25th Anniversary. So far, we have about 12 other friends booked. Looking forward to a great time!

Congradulations. My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary. There were many, many,many couples celebrating the same and several were celebrating 50th wedding anniversaries. I'm also not sure what "Carnival types" are either but we had such a great time, I wouldn't consider being a Carnival type to be an insult. The Pride has the friendliest crew I have ever sailed with and I mean everyone says good morning, asks about your day, having fun, being helpful. You will have a great time.

Thanks for the review! My daughters (14 &13) and I go on 8/21 and I, for one, can not wait. Work is definitely getting in the way of my cruising daydreams!

One question...where was your room and catagory? We are in an 8H towards the stern under the Poseidon pool/bar and I'm a bit concerned about noise from above. My T/A told me to stop obsessing (as a first timer I ask at least 3 questions/day) but another opinion never hurts.

Carnival Pride feedback, for what its worth......(its a long one, mostly for the first timer..)

We (me and wifey, son 16, daughter 12) took the pride June 26-July 3. It was our first cruise. I had done all kinds of research. Read cruise books at Barnes and Noble, searched the net, read all these boards, got other people opinions, ad infinitum.....

So our mind was completely jammed with all type of expectations. Well, after the cruise, all that research was for naught. Well, not completely. It whetted our appetite for the cruise, and we had somewhat a headstart going in. I thought some of the opinions I got were way off base, while others were right on.

I agree with those who say, that its up to the cruisers to make what they will of the cruise. We all have different expectations. Everyone may be seeking a certain, different, type of vacation, but with all those different outlooks, were all dealing with the same offerings of the ship. Its what you make of it. In no particular order.....

We had heard....."they bombard you with constant announcements"

In fact..............We didnt think this to be the case. Maybe twice a day, there were general annoucements about what was going on. We actually found this helpful in planning our day.

We had heard...."Carnival had the redneck (or insert your own term here) crowd".

In fact.......First, anyone who judges others needs to look in the mirror. But, on our ship, it was a rainbow of people. Noticed a lot of family reunions, couples of all ages, and of course lots of kids. Overall, though the ship was full, didnt have any noise probelms, kids-bouncing-off-walls-problems, obscene behavoir, loud ruckus. etc. Carnival bills itself as the Fun Ship. This was.

Had Heard...."Long lines at the buffet."

In fact.....Not short, not long, sometimes had to wait a few minutes, but nothing that really seemed out of place.

Had Heard....(remember, were first time cruisers)..."The wait staff at dinner is great, they get to know you, your likes and dislikes, they really take care of you."

In fact.....We all agreed this was the favorite part of our trip. Going to dinner each night, having the great service, different menu every night. And all being together as a family and talking about our day, and what we were going to be doing the next. Food was outstanding. My son saying it was "so cool" to be able to order off the menu without worrying about the prices. LOL

We were sad on the last night, knowing the trip was almost over.

Had Heard...."The entertainment is good."

In fact.......We thought it was great. I was surprised how good the shows were. This really exceeded my expectations. To the previous poster who worried about the shows. As mentioned there is one show, where they wear Vegas style outfits. But trust me, nothing even close to worrying about covering your kids eyes. A different show each night. So we looked forward to that. And the Pride Dancers! Sigh. Fiona, you were my fav!! lol

Had Heard....."They ding you for soda"

In Fact......They do! However, we took a case of water, and two different 12-packs of soda. Lasted the whole cruise. $27 for a soda card, I dont think so.

So, thats just a few opinions I had heard, and what we actually encountered. Again, these views comve from first-timers, so we had a blank canvas going in. Obviously, if we had cruised before, it would be different, having something to compare it to.

Other items....

Cabins--We had two adjoining balcony rooms. With a door between. The kids slept in one, and us in the other. The size was fine. For two people. Trying to get one or more in there, would have been pushing it. It worked for the best to have two rooms. Made up twice a day, with the requisite towel animals each night, with mints. Nice touch.

Kids got room service a few times, and service was quick, and that food was good. Bathroom was adequate, and overall, rooms were fine.

Activities.....My 12yo daughter, took advantage of the kids club a few times and enjoyed it. She mostly did her own thing though with a friend she made. They were supposed to have a club thing for 15-17 year olds, but that didnt really fly. We went to the orientation meeting that was announced, not one teen was there. Nada. I just think thats a reflection of todays kids. The electronic age.

Yes, there is the Lido deck "hairy chest" thing, and the Fear Factor thingy, and all the cheesy games. Play, dont play, observe, make it what you want.

Plenty of lounges, musical styles to appeal to all ages. The sports bar was not really a sports bar. Had a sports motif, but the 6-7 TV's inside, didnt really offer much. Could it be because thats all the satellite could get??

Formal nights were great. If your a first timer, take advantage of all the different areas to get your picture taken. They really come out great. Yes, pricey, but pick the one, two or three, you like best. It was the best photos our clan had ever taken, and was worth the price.

Bingo is played once or twice a day, which surprised me. This is one area I felt dissapointed. It was $10 for one card, $20 for a strip of three. Too expensive I thought. Why not play Bingo several times throughout the day, 2-3$ a card and probably make more money. Plus, the cruiser will leave with a better impression.

Pools were freezing. I guess I was expecting something warmer. I dont know how it works, but no one really swam. Plus, the water slide was down. An injury to someone I heard, has kept it our of service. My daughter was dissapointed about that. Cant they heat one of the pools? Plus its seawater, very salty. :(

Hmmm, thats all I can think of now. Sorry for being so long, but I just got to typing, and all this came out.

I didnt even talk about the ports, so if any first timer has a question, maybe I can give our take on what we did.

So those that are taking the Pride for the first time, Normadie restaurant is great, great food, great service. The Buffet is ok. Breakfast food in the buffet is so-so, lunch and dinner choices better. Room service is great.

Cabins overall are very nice.

Wealso adjusted out gratuities downward at the end. You can do this. There was no pressure from the pursers desk when we did this. I just felt that $10 a day per person was too much. I felt I still left a very fair gratuity.

Activities are fine, pick and choose what you want to do.

Have fun! We are hooked on cruising now, and cant decide what to do next. We want to experience a different ship next time. Any suggestions???.........Jeff

Thanks for the review! My daughters (14 &13) and I go on 8/21 and I, for one, can not wait. Work is definitely getting in the way of my cruising daydreams!

One question...where was your room and catagory? We are in an 8H towards the stern under the Poseidon pool/bar and I'm a bit concerned about noise from above. My T/A told me to stop obsessing (as a first timer I ask at least 3 questions/day) but another opinion never hurts.

We were on Empress, deck 6, 6253 aft. Had cabins above and below. I always choose the deck where the main suites are figuring they put them on the best deck for a reason. I never heard any noise. In fact, my wife and I both wondered why it was so quiet. I wouldn't worry about noise. You may, however, get a little more vibration. Your TA is right, however. I'm a psychologist. Quit obsessing. You'll have a great time.

Glad everyone had a good time. It is fun to hear what other people think. I was surprised that Stretchblue thought that the tips were to high. 10 per day is shared among at least three people if I read right. We will be doing the automatic tip for the first time in September. I guess I am thinking of dinner out. If I spent 100.00 on dinner average service would be 15% and superior service would be 20% or more. Hotel maid service in Us hotel would be 2-3 dollars per day and they don't do as much as I have experienced on a cruise.

The Pride sounds like a wonderful cruise!

Glad everyone had a good time. It is fun to hear what other people think. I was surprised that Stretchblue thought that the tips were to high. 10 per day is shared among at least three people if I read right. We will be doing the automatic tip for the first time in September. I guess I am thinking of dinner out. If I spent 100.00 on dinner average service would be 15% and superior service would be 20% or more. Hotel maid service in Us hotel would be 2-3 dollars per day and they don't do as much as I have experienced on a cruise.

The Pride sounds like a wonderful cruise!

This is what gets me, a tip is a personal decision, and if the OP thought that it was too much, that is his right, it is only a suggested amount, not a demand.

Secondly, you are not in a restaraunt and the meal didn't cost $100, that kind of comparison is just not right.

Thirdly, are you stating that when 4 of you stay for a week in a hotel, you leave $8 to $12 per day for the maid? For the most part if you left $2 or $3 per room, that would be more like it.

I seriously doubt that anyone leaves that tip per person every day while staying in a hotel.

Cheers,

Peter

My wife celebrated her 60th birthday with my daughter, granddaughter and two of her girl friends (no way was I going this time of the year). First let me say that all had a great time with alot of bumps along the road.

Good. Great ship. Great waiters (after waiting for service for 45 min the first night and recieving none they changed the waiters). Photographers were outstanding if you want a family photo. Shopping (believe it or not but wait for the last days sales). Camp Carnival

Bad. Service (My wife had a Cat 12 room and thought she would receive some special ammenites. The only thing she got special was to pre board. No shampoo not even a cotton ball). Unruley children (yes her friends who are school teachers had to get after these unruley children). Nude art (not appropriate for small kids)

If you don't care about the service and want to have a good time the Pride might be your answer. If you are over 60 and want service I would look at the Celebrity Cruise lines.

Peter

Did not mean to get your hackles up. If you read what I said I noted surprise at the thought it was too much, not an opinion or a judgement. I have not done automatic tipping since the last time I cruised I did the envelope thing and I (just me) thought the suggested amounts were more than reasonable at that time. I have not read who all participates in the new system at 10 per day.

In answer to your post regarding me--I tip 2.00 per day for one person 3 if two in the room. Children have seperate room adjoining (on land) and I tip for that room also. I worked my way through school as a waitress and I guess I relate to the work they do so. It is hard work cleaning up after others so if I think they deserve a tip I do tip. In regards to dinner I know we don't pay that for dinner per se but what would you use a guideline if you need one of your own? If you go to a buffet in your hometown most people will tip a buck a person. I guess that is how I look at it and this is only me do not want to get flamed on this please...I feel like I am tipping for breakfast lunch dinner and any snack that I have as I would on land. The steward is usually amazing and earns a generous tip. The Head waiter I only tip if I have the need for his services which others have told me is wrong and that he should always be tipped.

Again sorry to all did not mean to start a tippin thread again just another cruiser new to the automatic tipping!

This is what gets me, a tip is a personal decision, and if the OP thought that it was too much, that is his right, it is only a suggested amount, not a demand.

Secondly, you are not in a restaraunt and the meal didn't cost $100, that kind of comparison is just not right.

Thirdly, are you stating that when 4 of you stay for a week in a hotel, you leave $8 to $12 per day for the maid? For the most part if you left $2 or $3 per room, that would be more like it.

I seriously doubt that anyone leaves that tip per person every day while staying in a hotel.

Cheers,

Peter

Although we left the "suggested" amounts of $10 per person per day and felt the service was worth it, I agree with you that this is much higher than what you would leave on land. The sad truth is, when you talk to the servers, stewards, etc., tips are how they get paid. In essence, cruise fares stay relatively low because passengers pay the saleries. I would rather the lines increase rates and pay their wages rather than relying on us IMHO.

For all you recent Pride cruisers, could you please answer a few questions for me? First of all, is it true that if you have late seating for dinner you go to the shows before dinner?? Second, did you use Carnival's transportation from LA? If so, how long did it take? Do you have any suggestions for shore tours? Anything that you did that was really good? By chance, did any of you have a handicapped accessible room? We are currently booked in one, but dont need it...it just was all that was available for midship on the Empress deck. I am just wondering what the differences are? Thanks in advance! Jenny

:) Also cruised July 10 - 17...we had the time of our life....all 30 in our group from age 7 to 58... My opinion you are never too old for Carnival. A couple in our group celebrated their 35th anniversary and there was another couple, not in our group, who participated in the Not So Newly Wed Game celebrating their 50th. Your cruise is what 'you' make it. I cruised on the Conquest 2 years ago and it was a great experience (another group of us) but the Pride also met our expectations. Some things were not as good as the Conquest, however I don't dwell on the negative things.. It is a fun ship and we had a blast. Our head waiter, Huseyin and team, were outstanding. Dr. Love, the cocktail waiter...outstanding. Our group had winners in Fear Factor, Survivor, Hairy Chest contest, Newly Wed Game, Pride Idol and the Hypnotist Show... Our cabins were adequate...all in all things went well.. Thanks again for the memories Carnival....

For all you recent Pride cruisers, could you please answer a few questions for me? First of all, is it true that if you have late seating for dinner you go to the shows before dinner?? Second, did you use Carnival's transportation from LA? If so, how long did it take? Do you have any suggestions for shore tours? Anything that you did that was really good? By chance, did any of you have a handicapped accessible room? We are currently booked in one, but dont need it...it just was all that was available for midship on the Empress deck. I am just wondering what the differences are? Thanks in advance! Jenny

Late dinner shows are shown early (7:15 ish) on the 1st and last nights only, otherwise early dinner shows are 8:30, late at 10:30. We live in Santa Clarita so we drove but from LAX to terminal on a Sunday is maybe 30 minutes. Shore tours - We did Randi's Happy Horses (great). Otherwise we walked to Cabo Wabo in Cabo and walked to the Krystal Hotel in PV. Many did the Pirate Ship cruise in PV and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

schpsych, thanks for the info. Just curious about the Krystal Hotel in PV. I am wondering if that is the same hotel my husband and I stayed at a couple years ago. It was a Krystal resort, so I am guessing it is. Were the hotel grounds very lush with stone arches throughout? Was the pool big with bridges going over parts and a swim up bar?? Do they let you go and use thier pool? What is the fee? Thanks again!

schpsych, thanks for the info. Just curious about the Krystal Hotel in PV. I am wondering if that is the same hotel my husband and I stayed at a couple years ago. It was a Krystal resort, so I am guessing it is. Were the hotel grounds very lush with stone arches throughout? Was the pool big with bridges going over parts and a swim up bar?? Do they let you go and use thier pool? What is the fee? Thanks again!

It turns out my wife and I stayed there in 1981 and didn't realize it until we saw it. The hotel is how you described it. The hotel was free to use. Just show your cruise card at the gate. All hotel facilities are available including massages for about 35.00 dollars. Good food and drink.

Our group went to the Krystal Resort on July 14 during our cruise. We had to purchase a bracelet to wear for $15 each in order to use the pools, however you received that credit towards food and drinks. Two children in our group happened to get some fruit from the buffet so we were charged for 3 buffets. Our total bill was was $70 so had to pay extra $30. Swim up bar, volley ball and towel rentals available.

If you want to experience a 5 star resort go to the Playa Grande in Cabo. Awesome. Walking distance from the pier but it is uphill so you may want to get a taxi. Our group of 27 walked..ask directions. Beautiful pools, putting green... I believe it is a time share so they want you to enjoy yourself. Walk into the beautiful lobby and tell them you are from the cruise ship...Cabo was our first port and we loved it. After that took a cab to Cabo Wabo..too busy there to accomodat us..so we walked to Hard Rock...the customer service was great there. Enjoy.

Cruised July 10 - 17, 2005..Cabo: Walked to the Playa Grande resort..awesome. Walk into the spectacular lobby and tell them you are from the cruise ship. You can use their pool and tour the gardens.. Mazatlan: We took a taxi to the Hotel Playa Mazatlan...go through the entrance to the beach.. lots of gazebos with tables and beach chairs. You can jet ski, snorkel, parasail or just play on the beach. The kids got their hair braided there on the beach..FREE to use. It is located in the Golden Zone which is the main drag. Afterwards we walked around, shopped some, ate at Anthony's...yummy food..3 Corono's for $5. PV: Walked to Krystal Hotel, used their facility for $15 but got that credit towards food. Some in our group did the Pirates Ship tour and loved it. Some went snorkeling in Nuevo Vallarta..about 30 minutes drive in taxi I believe. We booked no excursions from the Pride. Overall we all enjoyed our port visits very much.

Regarding the handicap room: We cruised on the Conquest in 2003 and had a handicap room (didn't request it). The bath room was so much bigger than the regular cabin baths. Because there was no 'berm' to keep the water inside the shower (only grated drains) it always overflowed and our room would get flooded. You would shower and the ship would sway therefore the water would not drain properly, but flow all over the floor. That was the only bad thing..but it was a bigger room in order to accomodate someone in a wheel chair...

Jenr

Interesting that 2 posters were charged. We walked through the side gate which had a large sign proclaiming free use of the hotel for cruise ship passengers. And there was a guard at the gate who only asked to see our cruise cards. We were only charged for the beers we ordered. In addition, much of our crew was there.

schpsych

Where abouts was the sign? Did you enter the hotel resort from the main front entrance and see the sign off to one side, or did you actually enter the resort from a different area other than the main entrance??

Nude art (not appropriate for small kids).

If Rennaisance art is not appropriate then the world is about to end. All those poor European children being subjected to this on a daily basis. How have they survived?

I guess Art Museums are out. Visiting the Vatican is out also.

Get real

Archived