Galveston to IAH - I think we cut it close.

dioxide45

I think we pulled a boo boo and didn't do enough research before booking flights. Though we were using an award ticket and did pick the latest flights. the problem is we have a flight out of IAH - Bush Intercontinental Airport at 12:20pm for an early November cruise.

I have read a lot about fog issues in the winter in Galveston. Is that a problem in November too? If we see any changes to our flights that will allow us to change to a later time we will be all over it, but what are our changes of making our flight.

We are planning to rent a car and likely do self assist if we still have the same flight time by the time our cruise arrives. So baring any issues, could we making it. We are cruising on the Magic which returns on a Sunday. So I would think traffic will be light. Of course at IAH we will have to return our car to the rental car center and then take their shuttle to the airport. One more complication to add to it.

Edited by dioxide45

Since you need to be at the airport at least 1 hour in advance of your flight, you need to be at the IAH terminal at 11:20 am. (If you plan to check luggage, you should be at the terminal by 11:05am.) The drive from the Port of Galveston to IAH is about 75 minutes without traffic (which is what a Sunday morning generally is like.) Allow an extra 20 minutes to drop off the rental car and take the shuttle to the terminal. This means you need to be in your rental car at 9:30 am. If you debark at 8:45 am, this should give you plenty of time to go through Customs and Immigration and walk to your car in the parking lot.

Now, the hitch is that the Carnival Magic is not scheduled to arrive in Galveston until 8am. IF there are no delays and IF you can be among the first to debark, it's possible you will make this flight, but there is no room for error.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue - not familiar with galveston port - altho I often hear about the fog!

Returning on carnival ship 8 am on a saturday in November- looking at a 12:45 flight from IAH....is this doable? Any suggestions on pre-arranged shuttles/transportation?

Edited by Froufie

• 1 month later...

Our airline has made two changes to our flights since we booked. We were able to get our flight changed to a 1:30pm departure. Then they changed that to 12:50pm so we got them to put us on a 2:30pm flight. So we won't be cutting it as close now.