Using Verizon on Freedom Eastern

We are on the Freedom April 19. We are usually the people who gladly put their phones away when we sail away from the port and reluctantly turn them back on when we leave the ship. This year however we will need to keep in touch with home because of an ill family member. Does anyone know how much Verizon charges for both texts and calls from the ship? Can we send and receive texts and calls while at sea or should we wait until we are in ports? DH says that we will just keep in touch no matter the cost but I am the penny pincher and would like to have some idea what it is costing us.

We have verizon and were on Indy in Jan out going text were $.50 and incoming were $.05. You need to have international calling put on before you go we didn't and wish we did. (kids at home) I tried to do it while gone and they wouldn't let me. I think it was $1.25-$2.50/minute depending on where you are. We were in Labadee, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth.

Edited by Nemomof3

We have verizon and were on Indy in Jan out going text were $.50 and incoming were $.05. You need to have international calling put on before you go we didn't and wish we did. (kids at home) I tried to do it while gone and they wouldn't let me. I think it was $1.25-$2.50/minute depending on where you are. We were in Labadee, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth.

While at sea, Verizon charges $2.49 per minute for voice calls.

Call Verizon and tell them you are going on a cruise. They will add international calling at no charge and offer you a few data packages. If you are just using it for emergency's or occasional use I wouldn't worry about it. They should ask which ports you are going to. I then get an email with directions & charges for calling or texting at each location.

BonVoyage

Dawna

We are on the Freedom April 19. We are usually the people who gladly put their phones away when we sail away from the port and reluctantly turn them back on when we leave the ship. This year however we will need to keep in touch with home because of an ill family member. Does anyone know how much Verizon charges for both texts and calls from the ship? Can we send and receive texts and calls while at sea or should we wait until we are in ports? DH says that we will just keep in touch no matter the cost but I am the penny pincher and would like to have some idea what it is costing us.

Hey there neighbor - we're in Fort Collins and will be on the same cruise. Have you joined the roll call yet and signed up for the M&M onboard? There is a fairly decent sized group of CC members on this cruise, and there are plenty of people signed up already for the Meet and Mingle.