Douro River Cruise Options

caviargal

We are considering this cruise for early in the season.

The Duoro or Bordeaux are other options with the Loire thrown in to make it even more confusing. Decisions, decisions :).

Don't you just hate it when where do we go next is the biggest decision you make all week!!! :D

We are considering this cruise for early in the season.

The Duoro or Bordeaux are other options with the Loire thrown in to make it even more confusing. Decisions, decisions :).

We are doing the Douro with Vantage on May 2016.

Vantage doesn't offer a Bordeaux cruise yet.

We may do the lower Danube as well.

We are doing the Douro with Vantage on May 2016.

Vantage doesn't offer a Bordeaux cruise yet.

We may do the lower Danube as well.

We are looking for the first time at CroisiEurope on the Duoro as they price well and own their own boat. But small cabin size and menu limitations may well sway us back to AMA.

Edited by caviargal

We are looking for the first time at CroisiEurope on the Duoro as they price well and own their own boat. But small cabin size and menu limitations may well sway us back to AMA.

AMA is great, but the price for their cruise only is the same as Vantage's price for the cruise and land trip.

We have done both companies and don't find a significant difference between the two companies.

AMA is great, but the price for their cruise only is the same as Vantage's price for the cruise and land trip.

We have done both companies and don't find a significant difference between the two companies.

We prefer to do land on our own and we like the upscale ambiance on AMA, as well as option for Active excursions and a younger demographic IME. We would do one of their wine theme cruises.

I am sure they offer good value and are a great fit for some but Vantage is just not for us.

Back to the Douro comments.

Scenic is putting a new ship on for 2016. Scenic Azure, similar to the Scenic Gem which is doing the Seine.The cruising content is 11 days, so a 17 day Lisbon to Madrid trip looks very inviting. As I live in NZ, I need longer trips after such long flights.

This ship will be owned and operated by Scenic. I have only done Ama/APT trips, but would consider this one. Yes I have read some negative reviews of Scenic (I am not referring to flood related reviews, there is a class action law suit next year), but a lot of the Douro reports on other ships have also not been so great, so hoping having an owned and operated ship would make a difference. Douro is next on my list to book. Have yet to do Cambodia in December 2015 and Seine and Rhone in July 2016. First trip was last year and I am now addicted. Burma after the Douro???

From little I know about you, I'd very seriously steer you away from Croisi. I just don't think they'd be your cup of tea. Try some of the others. JMHO.

And, Caviargal, I'm not sure you'd be happy on the Douro. We enjoyed it on Uniworld, but I know you enjoy going off ship to dine, etc, and most of the stops were in minuscule towns. It was a couple of years ago, so my memory might be faulty 😉 but I can't think of anywhere we could have gone in the evening.