Dancing on the Queen Victoria World Cruise

Slow Foxtrot

Despite Queen Victoria feeling like a bucking bronco crossing the Atlantic the dancing in the Queens Ballroom still proved to be very popular. First and foremost the Queens Room Band/Orchestra provided excellent music for dancing with all the relevant tempos being spot-on. It was nice to hear a good selection of Quicksteps, Slow Foxtrots, English-style Waltzes and precisely-played tangos.

And during the first ten days there were three special sessions of Sequence Dancing for those who knew the steps (and some that didn't). Incidentally, these sessions proved very popular with the Brits who probably comprised about 80% of the passengers. This will change when many Americans join tomorrow at Fort Lauderdale.

The Queen Victoria professional dance couple (Oleana and Dan) gave group dance-lessons in the basic ballroom dances on regular occasions and these proved very popular. They also give brilliant demonstrations on Ball Nights.

Line-dancing classes were also well attended and those who preferred disco-style dancing were catered for each evening in the Hemispheres Nightclub.

As with all cruise-lines the actual ballroom size is never sufficient for the amount of dancers who wish to dance. For instance, on Queen Victoria, there are around 2000 passengers and the actual dance floor in the Queens Ballroom is comfortable for no more than, say, 20 couples. On board there are some very competent dancers and most of them give up when the floor becomes impassable. However, at certain times, the floor thins out and then it's a pleasure to watch certain couples. The gentlemen dance-hosts all seem to work very hard and they vary greatly in ability. One particular dance-host stands out from the rest and has no difficulty is leading his partners through whatever dance-music is playing - and that is no mean feat bearing in mind that some of the single ladies have very limited ability.

All in all, the dancing on board is okay within its obvious limitations and maybe there will be more variations in dance-styles when the new passengers join tomorrow.

Slow Fox, thank you for your report on QV. I'll be on the QE 10 - 20 March HK to Yokohama, then on QV 29 Mar - 02 April HK to Singapore, and looking forward to both. Some serious dancers getting on both segments.

If you have the time and inclination, take some short videos ( 1 - 2 minutes only in each video) of some of the evening dancing and an afternoon tea dance, of the competent guests and dance hosts just doing regular dancing. I find those quite interesting to watch.

I guess since you didn't mention any VW, the band as usual stay away from playing even one VW for the evening, unless specifically requested.

Yes, a pass mark from our esteemed foxy is great news. But for me, Dance Hostess is an issue. Could you post if you think it's likely that there'll be partners to practice with at the silver Latin, bronze ballroom level on the Americas portion? Or else someone who needs help practicing, but there I'm only comfortable at the bronze Latin, Pre-bronze ballroom level, not at all American smooth.

With the influx of American dancers joining at Fort Lauderdale there is a slightly different atmosphere in the Queens Ballroom. The orchestra also appears to have some new personnel. Obviously there are some American couples who are not conversant with the international style of dancing, especially in the Quickstep. However, everyone seems to get around the dance-floor, albeit with no real space to dance as many would wish. Some of the pre-recorded music used between sets is dire whereas previously there had been some really good recorded music which kept people dancing.

Tangoll: there are a couple of V.Waltzes each evening but this may improve.

As for a brief video, I will see what can be done in due course. Not easy with the cost of the wi-fi being what it is. There are some excellent Asian dancers on board - in fact one couple can only be described as really brilliant.

Dancer Bob: It seems there are always several keen solo lady dancers, some of them Asian, who always appreciate a gentleman dancer of reasonable ability so you should have no problem in this respect if you are a good mixer.

Just one observation from the first leg of the World Cruise -- when we boarded at Southampton we saw the Regimental Band of the The Royal Engineers in full regalia (with boots) marching up and down on the dance-floor. This would have given our old dance teacher apoplexy as he always regarded his dance-floor as a sacred place and not really built for marching boots!!!!!

Edited by Slow Foxtrot

• 4 weeks later...

As previously stated, if competent dancers want a reasonable floor space in which to dance then timing is all important. The enclosed photograph was taken fairly late at night and, for those with good floorcraft, there is room to get around smoothly. At other times, such as early in the evening, between band-breaks, or even later at night there is more room and there may be just a few couples on the floor. Those are the periods when you can really move and do your stuff!

As for Ball Nights - they are just a free-for-all and some training in the American Superbowl or British Rugby tactics will come in very handy.

Never the less, the music is very good and one can just enjoy listening and watching instead. During the first month of the World Cruise there have been some excellent dancers, including several competition dancers, who were well worth watching.

231122272_Ballroomphoto.jpg.5d9e5d455ae9b08cda93e7c3e65939c5.jpg

As previously stated, if competent dancers want a reasonable floor space in which to dance then timing is all important. The enclosed photograph was taken fairly late at night and, for those with good floorcraft, there is room to get around smoothly.

For what it's worth, I count 8 gents with jackets on, and 4 without jackets. But

I'm guessing that those with dark blue blazers on are the dance hosts.

I'm on QE 10 - 20 March, from Hong Kong to Yokohama via Shanghai, Jeju South Korea, and Nagasaki and Kagoshima Japan.

Then on QV 29 March - 02 April, Hong Kong to Singapore, and lastly

QM2 11 - 18 October, New York to Southampton UK crossing.

For the competition dancers on the floor, what ages were they, approx? All guests?

An interesting report. Personally, when I have the urge to 'have a limited floor' I have found either early evening or late sets to be perfect. Space also improves on the first and last evenings - I wonder why.

I guess sequence is an English acquired taste. Does anyone really enjoy it though? Look at the dancers faces the next time. :D

For what it's worth, I count 8 gents with jackets on, and 4 without jackets. But

I'm guessing that those with dark blue blazers on are the dance hosts.

For the competition dancers on the floor, what ages were they, approx? All guests?

On informal nights in the Ballroom most dancers don't bother with jackets as the night warms up. The dance hosts, of course, need to keep their blazers on for both appearance and identification.

The best dancer was a dance teacher currently based in America but previously in England. I understand that he had two 'pupils' with him, both middle-aged females and extremely good dancers. There were several other very experienced dance couples, some especially adept at the Viennese Waltz. The best dancers were all middle-aged and past middle-age. Not many young dancers in evidence apart, of course, from the resident professionals Dan & Olena, the slim Ukrainian couple who gave some dazzling exhibitions of latin-style dancing on Ball Nights.

On formal nights all the men wore jackets initially but it was not long before some of these were discarded. The Ballroom can get very warm when crowded.

I guess sequence is an English acquired taste. Does anyone really enjoy it though? Look at the dancers faces the next time. :D

Yes, Sequence is a mainly English and Australian thing. Does anybody enjoy it? Well, the vast majority of social dancing in the UK involves both Ballroom and Sequence dances, often in equal proportions. Even the famous Tower Ballroom at Blackpool does both. At most UK social venues, if you have no knowledge of Sequence dancing then you can spend half the night sitting out. The fact is that more dancers in the UK do Sequence dancing than Ballroom dancing.

Do they have miserable faces? Well, as many Sequence dancers have been married for very many years that may be the reason :)

But seriously, to see Sequence dances performed by competent ballroom dancers is a very different thing to what one may see at the Twilight Home for retired Gentlefolk.

We are serious Ballroom dancers but always join in with the Sequence dances. It's good fun .. and we've even been known to smile!

Sequence dancing is not as simple as it may appear. For someone like me, who rarely dances it and thus needs a reminder of each dance as I go along, the lack of smiling may denote concentration. Even for those who are experienced, a certain amount of concentration is required because not all dancers take the same-sized steps. One needs to make sure not to step on the heels of the couple in front, or be stepped on by those behind you. I also feel that you are more exposed to the watchers when dancing sequence; you can't hide in the middle of the room. If people get anxious when watched, this could bring about serious faces.

Foxy,

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear you're having fun.

You'll probably start seeing more couples dancing the American style now that you hit US waters. Don't be too harsh on them - it's what they teach in Florida & Texas. While the US has a fair number of Int style dancers, we haven't hit retirement age in any great numbers. Soon - but not yet. I'm envious of you, Dancer Bob, Tangoll and other who can take these trip. World segments are a bit long for me to be away.

Look forward to hearing more about your trip. Have a wonderful time.

QS

Edited by Q-step

Foxy,

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear you're having fun.

You'll probably start seeing more couples dancing the American style now that you hit US waters. Don't be too harsh on them - it's what they teach in Florida & Texas. While the US has a fair number of Int style dancers, we haven't hit retirement age in any great numbers. Soon - but not yet. I'm envious of you, Dancer Bob, Tangoll and other who can take these trip. World segments are a bit long for me to be away.

Look forward to hearing more about your trip. Have a wonderful time.

QS

Hi Q-step,

Thank you for your good wishes. I'm not sure if the dance atmosphere changed after San Francisco because we left at Los Angeles in order to spend some time in Las Vegas. We never found a ballroom there but the very hot weather was a compensation.

On the sector from Fort Lauderdale thru' the Panama Canal up to Los Angeles there were a few more Americans on the dance-floor but not as many as I expected. The fact is that there were many different nationalities on the dance-floor and most of them were dancing international style. As mentioned, this may have changed somewhat later in the cruise and maybe someone still on board will give us an update.

Just as an afterthought, as nearly all dancers are interested in good music there is a cocktail-pianist in the Commodore Club named Carl Nuschi (shortened version of his real name). After listening to cocktail-pianists for around 25 years I have never heard better. Try a late-night drink and you will hear a great musician!

Foxy

• 2 weeks later...

Foxy, CC815 is trying to get me on the QV Nov 05 sailing. It sounds like the orchestra is vastly improved, but she says her last time on QV, the mix was so bad they had to have a meeting with the ED. Are they playing a good variety? Much latin? (I don't mind if it's dreary old-geezer stuff as long as it's danceable.) How about the recorded music between sets, it used to be very good.

I'm becoming extremely unhappy about Cunard's sleazy pricing games, our agent is in the middle of repricing all the cabins because the prices changed again.

Hang tight, Dancer Bob. I'll be on QE : Hong Kong to Yokohama, 10 - 20 March and QV: Hong Kong to Singapore, 29 March - 02 April and will report on the dance scene and music from both ships soon.

Anybody you know will be on either segment?

Foxy, CC815 is trying to get me on the QV Nov 05 sailing. It sounds like the orchestra is vastly improved, but she says her last time on QV, the mix was so bad they had to have a meeting with the ED. Are they playing a good variety? Much latin? (I don't mind if it's dreary old-geezer stuff as long as it's danceable.) How about the recorded music between sets, it used to be very good.

Hi Bob, not much to add to my first post. The dance music for the first two sectors of the Q.V. world cruise was as good as I have heard on Cunard. The Queens Room Orchestra was led by trumpeter Kerry Maule and there was a very good Sinatra-style singer named Jim McCallister (quite a character - see Google). I am not sure if he is still on board as we left at Los Angeles en route to Las Vegas.

Are they playing a good variety? They certainly were then. There was something for everybody. The recorded music between sets was okay most of the time although we did hear an occasional CD which left much to be desired. I am not sure but I think these may be put on by the lighting control operator up in the balcony and if so it is stronly advised to pay him a visit and throw him off. It's the only language they understand!

Keep dancin'

Foxy

Thanks, I'm trying to talk myself into this but it's rather expensive compared to my alternatives, I need to persuade myself Cunard will deliver a premium product (their pricing games aren't helping). As far as I know, it is the Sound Booth operator who does the recorded music, this is one of the things I'll be asking the agent what her contingency plan is, I definitely prefer an uncrowded recorded music session to the Balls and Party Nights. I've been promised there will be several good dancers with the group.

Nobody I know of on QE or QV.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Sequence dancing is not as simple as it may appear. For someone like me, who rarely dances it and thus needs a reminder of each dance as I go along, the lack of smiling may denote concentration. Even for those who are experienced, a certain amount of concentration is required because not all dancers take the same-sized steps. One needs to make sure not to step on the heels of the couple in front, or be stepped on by those behind you. I also feel that you are more exposed to the watchers when dancing sequence; you can't hide in the middle of the room. If people get anxious when watched, this could bring about serious faces.

Where do people learn the sequence dances? I know very basic ballroom steps and often feel a bit intimidated to dance in the Queen's Room so sequence dancing would actually give me more confidence in that I know what is about to happen! My fiance and I are in our 20s and for the first time I will have a partner to dance with in the Queen's Room! We both have dance training in other dance forms (so we aren't a total mess) but it would be a nice way for us to have a dance without getting in the way or embarrassing ourselves! Due to our age, we don't really frequent places that would have sequence dancing. Are there any particular names of popular dances that we could look up online to learn for our cruise?

Sorry to intrude on this thread, as it seems you are all competent dancers and maybe this isn't the place to ask a beginner question!

Hi Bkecky. Most dance schools have regular classes (at beginner level, then intermediate, etc.) where they teach a mixture of ballroom, latin and sequence. If you go to the right school, you learn the steps correctly.

Other dancers go to specific sequence dances and learn by watching the people in front of them, who may be watching the people in front of them also. This is rather like Chinese Whispers and the steps are often incorrect and a purist like my dance teacher gets very upset when his students come back from such dances and try to tell him that he's been teaching them wrongly! (He has all the dance scripts and he has taken exams in them so he knows what is correct.)

Remember that anyone can post things on the internet so go for a reputable couple rather than a group of dancers having fun in a hall. Try http://www.sequencedanceuk.co.uk. They are not brilliant dancers but their steps are basically correct.

If it is possible for the two of you to have some private lessons with a good dance teacher, that would help. I go to a dance school in Oxford, but that's a bit far from where you are.

Edited by fantasy51

Hi Bkecky. Most dance schools have regular classes (at beginner level, then intermediate, etc.) where they teach a mixture of ballroom, latin and sequence. If you go to the right school, you learn the steps correctly.

Other dancers go to specific sequence dances and learn by watching the people in front of them, who may be watching the people in front of them also. This is rather like Chinese Whispers and the steps are often incorrect and a purist like my dance teacher gets very upset when his students come back from such dances and try to tell him that he's been teaching them wrongly! (He has all the dance scripts and he has taken exams in them so he knows what is correct.)

Remember that anyone can post things on the internet so go for a reputable couple rather than a group of dancers having fun in a hall. Try http://www.sequencedanceuk.co.uk. They are not brilliant dancers but their steps are basically correct.

If it is possible for the two of you to have some private lessons with a good dance teacher, that would help. I go to a dance school in Oxford, but that's a bit far from where you are.

Thanks for that information - I will take a look. Maybe if we get the steps right we can go and practice in a local hall before the cruise! We are actually working out of the country at the moment so we have no chance of getting a class at this point! An internet suggestion is just what we need so thanks!

Are there any particular sequence dances that seem to be popular on Cunard that we can start with?

Edited by bkecky

.....Are there any particular sequence dances that seem to be popular on Cunard that we can start with?

Usually the first sequence dances that most dancers learn are the Mayfair Quickstep, Square Tango, Rumba One, Saunter Together, Melody Foxtrot, and several others........ that's enough for a beginner to be getting on with.

The advice from Fantasy 51 to learn the dances correctly is good advice. If you know some basic ballroom techniques then you will have a head start!

Where do people learn the sequence dances? I know very basic ballroom steps and often feel a bit intimidated to dance in the Queen's Room so sequence dancing would actually give me more confidence in that I know what is about to happen! My fiance and I are in our 20s and for the first time I will have a partner to dance with in the Queen's Room! We both have dance training in other dance forms (so we aren't a total mess) but it would be a nice way for us to have a dance without getting in the way or embarrassing ourselves! Due to our age, we don't really frequent places that would have sequence dancing. Are there any particular names of popular dances that we could look up online to learn for our cruise?

Sorry to intrude on this thread, as it seems you are all competent dancers and maybe this isn't the place to ask a beginner question!

From my experience on QM2 last year....and I am joining Queen Victoria soon and expect that to be the same. ...There was no sequence dancing in the evening in the Queen 's Room, just Ballroom and Latin. There were special sequence dance sessions at about 7.30 pm 2 or 3 times a week......I hold my hand up if I am wrong!

From my experience on QM2 last year....and I am joining Queen Victoria soon and expect that to be the same. ...There was no sequence dancing in the evening in the Queen 's Room, just Ballroom and Latin. There were special sequence dance sessions at about 7.30 pm 2 or 3 times a week......I hold my hand up if I am wrong!

Hands up!! Correct about the special sequence dance sessions but on the second leg of the Queen Victoria world cruise they did throw in the occasional sequence dance during the band-breaks in the Queens Room. Not sure if that is still the case.

Short report on Queens Room music and dancing: Trevor Newby and orchestra very good, lots of capable dancers, including many Japanese; dance hosts of fairly high standard. Looks like a good if not excellent cruise for dancing. Not many arm wavers.

Are there any particular sequence dances that seem to be popular on Cunard that we can start with?

Suggestions:

Mayfair quickstep

Rumba 1

Sally Ann cha cha

Waltz Catherine (most commonly, but incorrectly, called Catherine Waltz)