Escape: Can Balcony Dividers Open?

JMsquared

We are scheduled on the June 4th sailing in large balcony rooms (ie 9122). Can these partitions (or are they called dividers) able to open so we can move between the cabins? Anyone know for sure? If they open, we'd likely move all 4 rooms next to each other. Thanks!

Yes physically dividers do open, whether they are allowed to be opened is another story. (At least at some point it was forbidden to open them fleetwide but people did it anyway or even got room stewards to open them.)

This is what NCL staff in Miami replied to the same question posted on ncl.com (posted 4 months ago):

Quote: "Fire proof balcony dividers were installed to prevent fires from spreading. These balcony dividers cannot be opened even if staterooms are connected.

These dividers are only opened for maintenance purposes." End of quote.

We had 2 rooms next to each other and they had no issue with opening for us, they asked if we wanted them closed in the evening or just left open. There is a hook near the top to hold the partition open so it isn't swinging in the wind.

I have heard the fire prevention reason before but find it the strangest reason ever. The partitions do not fully block you from the next cabin. They are curved on the top and probably about 2 foot open on the top between balconies. Their main purpose is privacy (in my opinion). Think about all the open deck space everywhere else but they only worry about fires on balconies??? Just seems like a weak reason but what do I know?😜

We are scheduled on the June 4th sailing in large balcony rooms (ie 9122). Can these partitions (or are they called dividers) able to open so we can move between the cabins? Anyone know for sure? If they open, we'd likely move all 4 rooms next to each other. Thanks!

CAN they be opened, yes.

Are you ALLOWED to do so, NO.

We had 2 rooms next to each other and they had no issue with opening for us, they asked if we wanted them closed in the evening or just left open. There is a hook near the top to hold the partition open so it isn't swinging in the wind.

I have heard the fire prevention reason before but find it the strangest reason ever. The partitions do not fully block you from the next cabin. They are curved on the top and probably about 2 foot open on the top between balconies. Their main purpose is privacy (in my opinion). Think about all the open deck space everywhere else but they only worry about fires on balconies??? Just seems like a weak reason but what do I know?😜

Ever since the Star Princess fire where the fire spread down one entire side of the ship due to combustible balcony dividers, SOLAS has required that fire boundaries extend out to the balconies. The reason balcony dividers are considered fire boundaries is that they restrict the wind that would sweep from one balcony to the next due to the ship's forward motion. Having the air flow have to go around the divider, or through the small gaps top and bottom, slows the spread of fire.

Ever since the Star Princess fire where the fire spread down one entire side of the ship due to combustible balcony dividers, SOLAS has required that fire boundaries extend out to the balconies. The reason balcony dividers are considered fire boundaries is that they restrict the wind that would sweep from one balcony to the next due to the ship's forward motion. Having the air flow have to go around the divider, or through the small gaps top and bottom, slows the spread of fire.

Thanks for that explanation. It seemed silly to me but I'm a beancounter and never quite understood that explanation. 😉

Thanks for that explanation. It seemed silly to me but I'm a beancounter and never quite understood that explanation. 😉

I've spoken with firefighters at various ports that come onboard to see how they can assist with a fire in port, and they are pretty amazed at the unique situations and conditions we have to deal with on a ship. Their buildings don't move and create their own wind. Once you've fought the beast on a ship, you never take anything for granted, and look for all the advantages you can get.