Advice about post cruise plans for Sydney

Bev

Hi

Three of us - adults 55+ - are booked on the April 3 Celebrity Solstice Sydney to New Zealand back to Sydney.

We'll have a week in Sydney post cruise from April 13-20. We have a quote from Hyde Park Inn for $215 or $237 per night for either a studio or deluxe room respectively. Are these prices to be expected for accommodation in Sydney? How safe is the area around Hyde Park Inn? How close are transportation (bus/metro), grocery stores, other shopping, reasonably priced restaurants?

We hope to alternate time in Sydney with day tours to the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, and possibly Canberra. Any must sees/not to be missed?

Thanks in advance for any comments or tips you might have.

Bev

Hi

Three of us - adults 55+ - are booked on the April 3 Celebrity Solstice Sydney to New Zealand back to Sydney.

We'll have a week in Sydney post cruise from April 13-20. We have a quote from Hyde Park Inn for $215 or $237 per night for either a studio or deluxe room respectively. Are these prices to be expected for accommodation in Sydney? How safe is the area around Hyde Park Inn? How close are transportation (bus/metro), grocery stores, other shopping, reasonably priced restaurants?

We hope to alternate time in Sydney with day tours to the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, and possibly Canberra. Any must sees/not to be missed?

Bev

Actually those prices look good.

It's a good area and safe.

You are in a good location, pretty central, busses and train within probably 100-200 yards, a short walk to the major shopping precinct, not sure what you call reasonably priced restaurants my Overseas friends say that eating out in Sydney is expensive, but many pubs (bars) have good options.

In my opinion the Hunter Valley and surrounds (where I call home) and Canberra both deserve an overnight visit, the Blue Mountains is a comfortable, but full day, trip.

What to see in each locale depends on your likes but

Canberra

Old Parliament House

And the New one

the War Memorial

The national gallery

Maybe the Zoo

Would top my list

Hunter Valley

The Vineyards are most people's main interest

Hunter Valley Gardens is well worth a visit

If you can visit Lake Macquarie (it's right there)

Newcastle and Port Stephens have some lovely beaches

Sydney itself

The Rocks area

The gallery's and museums

The QVB a shopping arcade left derelict for years but then refurbished a buitiful 1800s building

Ferry over to Taronga Zoo, I think the Giraffes may have the worlds best views

A visit to Bondi beach

Just a few suggestions.

I forgot to add grocery stores, there are three main chains

Coles

Aldi

Woolworths (Woolies to most)

There are also convenience stores that will charge way more.

You aren't far from a Woolworths pretty much opposite Town Hall.

Pull up google maps for a better idea of what's where around your hotel.

I agree with the comments made by Gut2407 regarding your hotel and proposed trips.

As someone who used to live in Canberra, I highly recommend making it an overnight trip or, even better, a 2-night trip. In addition to the many excellent museums and galleries there, most of which are free, there are great opportunities to easily see native animals in the wild. I always suggest visitors do the easy (6 km RT) Yankee Hat Hike in Namadgi National Park where you will see lots of kangaroos along the trail and Aboriginal rock drawings at the turnaround point. Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve is also a good place to see lots of animals in the wild.

I agree with all the replies posted by others, particularly the need for overnight stays in either the Hunter or Canberra. If you only chose one of these I would go for Canberra as it's easy to get to by car or bus (Murray's buses from Central station leave every hour and take about 3.5 hours each way). In Canberra I would also suggest a visit to the Arboretum and there are also many wineries within an easy drive of the city. You usually see kangaroos near the War Memorial and often in other places.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We hope to alternate time in Sydney with day tours to the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, and possibly Canberra.
For similar reasons to those I set out in your other thread about your pre-cruise time, I personally wouldn't advocate Canberra or the Hunter if you only have a week in Sydney. Both are very worth going to, but the process of getting there and getting back plus the desirability of staying overnight to make sure that you actually see some stuff while you're there means that you're eating too much into your Sydney time. In other words, why spend 6-8 hours on the road going to either place and coming back when you could be spending 6-8 hours actually sightseeing in Sydney?

If you're determined to go to Canberra, it is worth thinking about flying. Actual flying time is only about 40-50 minutes and there's an enormous number of flights throughout the day most days. It does make it feasible for me to pop down from Sydney to Canberra for lunch if I really am that time-constrained on a particular trip - although I would always much rather spend more time there.

For similar reasons to those I set out in your other thread about your pre-cruise time, I personally wouldn't advocate Canberra or the Hunter if you only have a week in Sydney. Both are very worth going to, but the process of getting there and getting back plus the desirability of staying overnight to make sure that you actually see some stuff while you're there means that you're eating too much into your Sydney time. In other words, why spend 6-8 hours on the road going to either place and coming back when you could be spending 6-8 hours actually sightseeing in Sydney?

If you're determined to go to Canberra, it is worth thinking about flying. Actual flying time is only about 40-50 minutes and there's an enormous number of flights throughout the day most days. It does make it feasible for me to pop down from Sydney to Canberra for lunch if I really am that time-constrained on a particular trip - although I would always much rather spend more time there.

The problem with flying is you also need to add about an hour maybe two (Syd-airport, airport- Canberra and then in reverse) driving time and a half hour at each end check in to the 45 min flight time.

I have to respectfully disagree with Globaliser about spending a full week in Sydney. As much as I enjoy that city, I do think you can have a thorough visit there in 4 days. That gives you time for a day trip to the Blue Mountains and a 2-day trip to either Canberra or the Hunter Valley (but, unfortunately, you don't have time for both).

If you do choose to go to Canberra, I'd drive rather than fly. As GUT2407 states, you don't really save much time by flying and you have to have a car in Canberra anyway. (It's not an easy place to get around on public transportation.)

The problem with flying is you also need to add about an hour maybe two (Syd-airport, airport- Canberra and then in reverse) driving time and a half hour at each end check in to the 45 min flight time.
If you do choose to go to Canberra, I'd drive rather than fly. As GUT2407 states, you don't really save much time by flying and you have to have a car in Canberra anyway. (It's not an easy place to get around on public transportation.)
Although you obviously need a bit more total travel time than just the flying time, if you're doing a short trip to Canberra (and therefore don't need to factor in luggage difficulties) it doesn't need to be as much as that. Sydney city centre to the airport can be fairly reliably done in about half an hour, and it's only 10 minutes from Canberra airport to the city centre. It is a frequent route for me: I would not drive to and from Canberra to have lunch with someone, but I would fly.

As for time in Sydney, that will be a matter of opinion. But the first time I was in Sydney, I stayed for four weeks and still hadn't seen everything that I wanted to see. Indeed, in the 27 years of regular visits to Sydney since then (2 or 3 trips a year, most years) I still haven't seen everything that I wanted to see on that first trip.

Hi

Many thanks to all of you - I appreciate your thoughts and your time to share them. You've given me a lot to think about and increased my excitement for this trip.

Bev

Hi

Many thanks to all of you - I appreciate your thoughts and your time to share them. You've given me a lot to think about and increased my excitement for this trip.

Bev

Don't hesitate to pop back with any other questions.

We will be in Sydney for five days between cruises in April 2018.

We spent five days there post cruise in 2013 and did quite a lot:

Harbor cruise

City tour that included Bondi Beach

A half day at the Botanical Gardens and nearby museum

A day at Darling Harbor including the aquarium, wildlife center and marine museum as well as QVB not far away.

An evening at the Opera House

Day trip to Hunter Valley for wine tasting

Day trip to Blue Mountains including trip to very good zoo.

We walked around The Rocks and up to the Bridge and did the Pylons rather than the expensive bridge climb.

I have looked for tips on what to do for our five days and found a two day Hunter Valley tour that looks good, but want to fill in the gaps for Sydney, we loved Sydney.

Hi again

As you know, we'll be in Sydney from April 13 - 20. I'd appreciate thoughts about how to plan that week.

Both Good Friday and Easter Monday fall within that week. Are those statutory holidays in Australia? Will shops and attractions be closed on those days? Would it be better to tour in Sydney those days or plan a tour to the Blue Mountains or Hunter Valley or Canberra?

Thanks so much for your help!

Bev

Hi again

As you know, we'll be in Sydney from April 13 - 20. I'd appreciate thoughts about how to plan that week.

Both Good Friday and Easter Monday fall within that week. Are those statutory holidays in Australia? Will shops and attractions be closed on those days? Would it be better to tour in Sydney those days or plan a tour to the Blue Mountains or Hunter Valley or Canberra?

Bev

Both are public holidays.

Most shops will be shut on Good Friday, many will be open on the Monday.

Pretty sure the zoos are closed Good Friday.

I think it would be fair to say that there are three days that Australians are likely to be closed, Good Friday, Christmas Day and ANZAC day.

For the Friday you could do a lot worse in my opinion than a visit to the Royal Easter Show. Never sure how to describe it to visitors, let's say a cross between a carnival with rides etc, an agricultural display, with farm animals and the like, many stands of products, dog, cat, horse, cattle sheep etc judging, cooking and craft displays a lot to see and do.

If there are organised tours you are considering ask the tour organiser, they will normally know if their tour will be effected to any real degree.

Hi again

Bev

Bet,

I saw you are on the Solstice. We did the Solstice on our Top End cruise in 2013. Great ship.

We are on our first Royal Caribbean cruises, both out of Sydney.

The Radiance of the Seas to NZ and back 6 April-17 April

The Explorer of the Seas from Sydney to Seattle (TP) from 22 April until some time in May. This one is our longest cruise ever, 23 days.

We will be in Sydney from 17-22 April.

Planning on flying into Melbourne about five days prior to our NZ cruise.

There is a lot to do in Sydney. We used Gray Line for tours to the Hunter Valley and a city tour that included Bondi Beach. Also, did a harbor cruise. Did a private tour to the Blue Mountains that was super.

Hope the opera is going on while we are there, we saw La Boheme the last time we were there.

Still, we have five days and are looking for more things to do that we haven't done before. We may to an overnight Hunter Valley tour.

For the Friday you could do a lot worse in my opinion than a visit to the Royal Easter Show. Never sure how to describe it to visitors, let's say a cross between a carnival with rides etc, an agricultural display, with farm animals and the like, many stands of products, dog, cat, horse, cattle sheep etc judging, cooking and craft displays a lot to see and do.

Thanks! This sounds very much like our Canadian National Exhibition - affectionately known as The Ex - an annual three week event held in late August featuring a carnival with rides, agricultural and horticultural fair, craft displays and contests, new commercial products for sale, and entertainment shows and probably a lot more I'm not remembering right now. I think we'd enjoy the Royal Easter Show.

Bev

Bet,

I saw you are on the Solstice. We did the Solstice on our Top End cruise in 2013. Great ship.

We are on our first Royal Caribbean cruises, both out of Sydney.

The Radiance of the Seas to NZ and back 6 April-17 April

The Explorer of the Seas from Sydney to Seattle (TP) from 22 April until some time in May. This one is our longest cruise ever, 23 days.

We will be in Sydney from 17-22 April.

Planning on flying into Melbourne about five days prior to our NZ cruise.

There is a lot to do in Sydney. We used Gray Line for tours to the Hunter Valley and a city tour that included Bondi Beach. Also, did a harbor cruise. Did a private tour to the Blue Mountains that was super.

Hope the opera is going on while we are there, we saw La Boheme the last time we were there.

Still, we have five days and are looking for more things to do that we haven't done before. We may to an overnight Hunter Valley tour.

Hi

I think you'll enjoy the RCL ships. They're not as large as Celebrity's S class ships. I like the Rendezvous Lounge on the Radiance. I've been on the Voyager which is in the same class as the Explorer - the ice shows are great.

As for things to do in Sydney, do a search in this forum - some other threads list tons of things for anyone to consider.

Bev

Hi

Bev

We stayed at the Hyde Park Inn for one week in February, 2011. Bus No. 555 has a stop half a block from the hotel and it is free. Ride it to Central Station and explore from there.

Hi

Bev

OP - lots of great (and conflicting :D) suggestions and advice here.

We spent 9 days in Sydney - staying in a serviced apt. near Town Hall Station - as part of a 3 week vacation in Oz and apart from a full day in the Blue Mountains (should have done 2 days if the truth be told) we spent all of our time around the city and its environs... and arguably could have stayed longer!

We haven't stayed at the Hyde Park Inn but have played tourist in that area - you're less than one block from Museum Station (Sydney has excellent mass transit covering trains, buses, trams and the ferries. It's also compact enough that vast areas can be explored on foot) and 10 mins from Coles and Woolies - across from Hyde Park itself there's some great examples of colonial Victorian architecture.

Personally I found prices in Sydney to be on-par with a major city in the US once I'd taken into account the exchange rate and factored in the US sales tax and the fact that tipping in Australia is discretionary rather than expected)

My tip would be to jump over to TripAdvisor and look at the Things to Do - there's lots(!) Map out an itinerary based on your interests and then post over on the TA forum. Enjoy your visit - Sydney is a great City.

Another question

Would we be able to buy a multi-city (perhaps Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne - Sydney) airline ticket at the Sydney airport once we arrive in Australia?

Bev

Would we be able to buy a multi-city (perhaps Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne - Sydney) airline ticket at the Sydney airport once we arrive in Australia?
Yes, but why leave it until so late? Like in most other air travel markets, the tendency will be for fares to rise the closer you get to the travel date.

It's very easy to buy these in advance online. As a generalisation, if you're flying economy and you're stopping at each point, there are few reasons for buying all the sectors together in one ticket; you will probably get the same total price if you buy a separate ticket for each sector as most domestic travel in Australia is now priced on a one-way basis.

The cheapest fares are often only available for sale in Australia/New Zealand/South West Pacific. But if you buy directly from the airline's website, that will count as buying there so you will get these fares. If you buy from a US-based online travel agent you will only get the fares that can be sold outside that area, which is likely to be more expensive. (But why would you buy from an online travel agent anyway if you can get it directly from the airline at no extra cost?)

We are seriously considering a NZ cruise and Australian tour in 2018. Its hard to determine where to start vacation planning. We are a couple 70 years old, who have developed European vacations that include at least one cruise most summers. We are quite tired of the Caribbean in our winters (as Houston winters are usually quite mild). My wife, especially, is worried about the very long flights to/from Houston. We would consider a RT Sydney cruise of NZ, or a cruise that starts in Aukland and finishes in Sydney (especially if most ports are the same). Also, this way the flight to the cruise would be a few hours shorter. We would consider at least one flight with a break of 3 or 4 nights in Hawaii (anyone done this and can advise?). As we have aged, we have begun to incorporate guided or partially guided coach tours (I'm not renting a car, although I continue to spend days in an urban setting taking local transport and one-day tours). My thought is to include a 5-12 night coach tour RT Sydney and wonder who the local tour companies are and if any recommendations? Thinking a day in Tasmania would be a treat as we both enjoy wildlife/nature. Beyond the library and Trip Advisor, can you suggest any resources to guide us between tour options (like writings and videos from an Australian/New Zealand Rick Steves)? Thank you very much,

DJ:)