Best time of day for Sydney Bridge CLimb

laurabegorrah

I just booked the bridge climb (yay!!!) for the morning of Feb 6th. My current time is 9am, but I'm slightly worried about where the sun will be by then...will I be climbing into the sun and squinting all morning? I'll obviously have sunglasses on, but they can only do so much. I know the bridge runs mostly north/south, so the sun should be more off to the side, but I was hoping someone here has experience with am vs pm climbs pros and cons?

We climbed in the morning. It was spectacular. Since it was a once in a lifetime experience for us, I can't comment on other times of the day.

I would guess that twilight would be good as well, but the views across the harbor would be diminished.

Edited by The Other Tom

We declined to take out the mortgage to take the bridge climb, especially when you can't take your camera for photos.

Did the piles instead, which cost about $17 pp and you can take photos from about 2/3 of the height of the bridge.

We declined to take out the mortgage to take the bridge climb, especially when you can't take your camera for photos.

Yeah, my wife and I really debated about this. We finally looked at each other and asked.."Are we ever coming back ?" Well,....no, so....we sprung for it. Agreed it's a lot of $$.

Yeah, my wife and I really debated about this. We finally looked at each other and asked.."Are we ever coming back ?" Well,....no, so....we sprung for it. Agreed it's a lot of $$.
I've always taken the view that as attention is more likely to be directed to the harbour to the east of the bridge, afternoon climbs are better because the sun is behind you and is lighting up what you can see as you look east.

However, I've now done the climb four times (or possibly five - I've lost count!) at different times of the day, and to be honest each time of the day has had its pros and cons. Although a night climb when there were massive bush fires burning to the west of Sydney provided a spectacular sight that isn't easy to repeat. Climbing the pylon is just not the same, although if it's that important to take your own photos then the Bridgeclimb won't be for you.

in 2009 we planned a trip to Australia. We went to our long time travel agent and made plans. I chose a twilight tour. Our family of 5 got an exclusive tour. It was amazing, sun setting, lights coming up. It was one of the highlights!