Hotel thru Priceline for Tampa Airport

Cruiser-66

I need a hotel for March 1st pre-cruise. I know you need to be careful where you stay in Tampa! I'm wondering if I bid a 3* hotel in the Tampa Airport and Westshore area, if these would all be safe hotels? They have about twelve listed as possible wins. I've had some experience with Priceline in the Ft. Lauderdale area, but Tampa is all new to me. Not sure about free rebids for this area. If anyone has had experience in this area and can advise me I would sure appreciate it. Thanks so much!

We live North of Clearwater Beach and from what I've seen over around the Tampa airport there is good and bad.

If you can avoid DaleMabry or the Stadium area do it.

Anything right at the airport - on Spruce or by Int'l Plaza is pretty good.

Westshore is nice yet I wouldn't wander around there at night.

We go there to shop and eat - upscale places are located in this area.

I wouldn't go with anything below a 3 star for sure.

I'm not familiar with Priceline hotels and how they work. I was trying to figure out what the 12 hotels were that they had listed so I could comment on them specifically. However, I couldn't find a list of 12.

If you want to post them I'll try to help you further.

They have about twelve listed as possible wins.

Priceline offers two hotel products: opaque and non-opaque.

Although there is some overlap, the two products draw from a different universe of hotels, so just because the non-opaque product offers "Hotel A" doesn't necessarily mean that it is also offered thru their opaque product.

Thank-you for your reply! I too have used BiddingforTravel with much success. My concern this time is not knowing the Tampa area, and that the Hotels they list for 3* possibilities is so long. I'm unsure if they are all save bets for a one night stay. Hopefully someone with experience from this area, and someone that's used priceline can give me advice.

I would first bid for a 4 star, Grand Hyatt comes up frequently at very good prices. You have free re-bids in all other zones, as Airport-Westshore is only zone with 4 star properties being offered. But you have to doublecheck this every time you bid, so you are not surprised by any additions. The only other 4 star hotel that has been posted as a winner is the Renaissance right at International Plaza, which is newer and certainly better located than the Hyatt. Do not choose 3 stars during this phase of your bidding.

If you are unsuccessful bidding at the 4 star level, then start a brand new bid for 3 stars. This can be done immediately. The only areas, at this writing, that offer re-bid opportunities for 3 stars, are Brandon and Tampa North, but you must always check each time you bid.

Yes there are a lot of 3 star properties, and for one night I really wouldn't be unhappy with any of them. Of course some ARE better than others. Highly acceptable would be Wyndham, Sheraton Suites, Hilton, both Marriotts, and Embassy Suites. Next I would prefer Doubletree Guest Suites, which I believe is at Rocky Point, Doubletree Westshore, which appears dreary in the lobby, but I have never been in the rooms, or Radisson Bay Harbor, also in the Rocky Point area. The Quorum used to be a Crowne Plaza, and least desirable would be the Park Plaza, which used to be a Ramada Plaza. The Tahitian is a new addition to the list, and I believe it is south of Kennedy Blvd on a heavily travelled portion of Dale Mabry. It is totally unknown to me. There are reviews at BFT and I would also check in at http://www.tripadvisor.com as well.

Look at BFT to see which properties have come up recently and at what price. Good luck.

knutsonl

I have been bidding on a 4 star hotel in the airport/westshore zone for the last 6 weeks for our precruise stay for 1/21/06 with no luck. After bidding as high as $80.00 for a 4 star and got rejected, I added 3 star in the same zone for the same amount and still got rejected. How much are you

bidding?

I have read all the posts on this board pertaining to the Tampa area and I

think this zone is the best. I have not tried or added downtown zone yet,

but I will soon start doing so because we need to get a room as our cruise is getting closer.

JR

I wouldn't give up. My personal opinion is that you are too early. March is high season and if I were a hotel I wouldn't be giving any inventory to Priceline until 2-3 weeks out. My most recent PL experience last month had me trying several times until I reached a price that I deemed enough. Finally 2 days before my trip my bid was accepted at my lowest starting bid. It's all about PL having the room inventory.

We were there May 26 (?) one night Memorial Day weekend 2005. I had a rental car as I was traveling South. We had a late flight arrival, so wanted to be fresh the next day for driving. Most Amerisuites do have a shuttle service and I do recall seeing the bus outside. I believe I paid $75 which was a lot less than hotels where I didn't know their area. Again, because of the late night arrival, we did not venture out. I do believe there is a chain steakhouse restaurant right in front of the hotel; but I am not sure of the name. Amerisuites included the continental breakfast too, which is a savings.

Again, check out valuetrips.com for the rate on your dates. Call the hotel directly with any local questions. They were very nice.

I'm wondering if the Amerisuites you stayed at was the one at the airport, or would it have been further south? I just read some reviews today that claim the one at the airport was getting run down and not all that clean. I found a fairly good price on the one close to the airport, but not sure if I should take it or not. Sure like to know if their is a close place to eat, as we won't have a car. If anyone has information I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks

Archived