Just back from the Brilliance

jebl

Returned yesterday from the Brilliance 11 night Panama Canal cruise. It was a totally awesome cruise. The Canal is an engineering marvel. Hard to believe that the ships can fit through the locks. We only had inches to spare on each side.

It was a sad sight to see the Natural Bridge in Aruba reduced to a pile of big rocks sitting in the water. The smaller bridge is still intact though.

Radiance class is my favorite and the Brilliance did not dissappoint. I must say that the food seems to have improved in the last year. We didn't have a bad meal with one exception. First time we have been to Portifino's and we probably won't go again. My dinner, lobster and spaghettini was good but DH didn't care for the Veal Saltimbocca at all. And he has had it in some of the best restaurants in the country. Chops was excellent, as always, and the service impeccable.

Couldn't wait to get to the Seaview Cafe and have some of those awesome onion rings. No More Onion Rings!!! The have changed the menu to all Italian food, pastas, pannini sandwiches and pizza. Took one look at the menu and went down to

the Windjammer. What a sad loss. I had my mouth watering for onion rings and a milk shake.

Entertainment was pretty good this time. Welcome aboard show had a very funny comedian, and one other comedienne, Judy Kolbe, was hilarious. There was also a Tribute to the Temptations group that had everyone clapping and singing along. They were really great. Didn't bother with the production shows as I don't particularly like them. The singers shout more than sing.

Becky Thompson was our Cruise Director and the best we have ever had. She is so funny and so very friendly. Seems she was everywhere at once. She is the first CD to come to the M&M. She helped make the cruise great. I met her and was talking to her at the M&M and everytime she saw me she called me by name and had something nice to say. Quite a feat of memory since she meets so many people each week.

The Schooner bar is one of our favorite after dinner hangouts and we had a great time this trip. The staff had everyone singing along with the piano player. Two of the waitress and the nutty bartender Eric billed themselves as the 'Dream Team' and had us in stitches with their antics.

Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze. Port of Miami should give lessons to the rest of the ports.

All in all, this was one of the best cruises we have been on. High marks to the staff, the chefs, and even the passengers. Only found one or two rude and obnoxious people on this trip. Most everyone, including the children were very nice. Hardly ever heard anyone complaining.

Only complaint was our table in the dining room. We were at a table for ten. No one else showed up the first night but we figured they were all too tired or something of that nature. Same thing the second night, which was formal. Our waiter checked and found that they had all requested to move to small tables. By that time I didn't want to change tables since our waiter and asst. waiter were being so nice to us. Even the head waiter was at the table every night. So we stayed by ourselves. Next cruise we have asked for a smaller table and I will not hesitate to move if I am not satisfied with the table. Don't blame the cruiseline for this unfortunate circumstance. We should have moved and tipped our waiter for the nights he served us, but we liked him so much.

Hi Judy,

Thannks so much for the overview . We are going on the 11 night Panama in April. What cabin were you in? Also. I have read elsewhee that the Seaview Cafe on the Brilliance has changed it's menu to pasta and pizza only. Can you confirm this?

Thanks

Kim

Kim,

We were in cabin 9592 just aft of the 'hump'. Nice cabin but next time I think I would like to be forward of the 'hump'. Better views.Yes, the Seaview changed to pizza, pasta, and pannini sandwiches. Not to my liking. The day we went a lot of folks walked out, like us, after seeing the menu. Too bad.

Wrona,

Yes that is the same Becky. 'Ello Luv. She didn't mention anything about leaving so can just assume she will be there in Feb. She is terrific.

We were in cabin 9592 just aft of the 'hump'. Nice cabin but next time I think I would like to be forward of the 'hump'. Better views.

We're in the same cabin on our December Panama Canal cruise! We just booked it while on Enchantment. This cabin wasn't our first choice (by a long shot) we went through a list of about a dozen others (all booked) before we found this one available.

Other than wishing you were on the forward side of the hump, what did you think about this cabin? Was there a lot of traffic/noise? Was the bed or the sofa by the balcony doors?

It sounds like you had a great time. DH and I are really getting excited for this cruise!

We are on this cruise next week. According to the cruise compass from December, there are 3 formal nights. Really sad to hear about the Seaview menu change, as that was our favorite spot almost every afternoon for onion rings. Guess we will have to find something else to munch on.

We're in the same cabin on our December Panama Canal cruise! We just booked it while on Enchantment. This cabin wasn't our first choice (by a long shot) we went through a list of about a dozen others (all booked) before we found this one available.

Other than wishing you were on the forward side of the hump, what did you think about this cabin? Was there a lot of traffic/noise? Was the bed or the sofa by the balcony doors?

It sounds like you had a great time. DH and I are really getting excited for this cruise!

The cabin was fine except we could not see forward from our balcony. The balcony is a strange shape, one wall longer than the other, but plenty of room for the two of us. The bed is by the sliding door. Only problem we had was some creaking noises if the ship was rocking a little. Also sounded like the neighbors on one side were moving furniture at times. Other than that the room was quiet.

JP46, we had 3 formal nights and no smart casual.

Wrona,

Yes that is the same Becky. 'Ello Luv. She didn't mention anything about leaving so can just assume she will be there in Feb. She is terrific.

I definitely agree. She was the CD on my Voyager cruise last January. She has so much energy.

Judy, thanks for the info on the Seaview. I am very disappointed that the menu has changed, but I am sure it will not ruin my cruise.

I have another question for you. Did you do any shopping in any of the ports and if so what were the good buys to look out for?

Thanks Again

Kim

jebl, glad to hear you loved the Brilliance. We're also doing this same cruise,in April. I can't wait.

What did you do in the ports?

In Aruba we did the city/country tour through the ship. Nice tour but a bit pricey. In Curacao we booked a tour on the pier. Same idea as the Aruba tour but only $15. Panama we stayed on the ship and then looked around at the pier. Just a big warehouse with nice duty free shops in the front end and craft stalls in the rear. They also have dancers in the front section and they were very good. Costa Rico we did the Torteguera Canal trip. Didn't see as many animals as we would have liked but it was a nice trip. On the bus back to the ship, we passed through a humongous banana plantation. Our guide explained how the bananas are grown and harvested. That was real interesting.

jalakim,

Really didn't do any shopping to speak of. We bought our liquor on the ship with the exception of a bottle of dark rum in Panama for $5. I also bought some Gouda cheese and some small linen items in Curacao. I did see some of the usual jewelry stores in Aruba but never even went in them. I don't think these ports are especially good shopping ports. Not like St. Thomas, St. Maarten and San Juan.

Judy Thanks for the great review and update on the seaview cafe

As were still looking for excursions, anything you wish you had done or heard was great.

Thanks

If you are energetic and able, I heard that the Ziplining and the white water rafting were great. Saw some horseback riders returning to the ship and they were full of mud from the knees down. Looks like they enjoyed themselves but didn't get to ask.

Also heard that the pax on the train in Costa Rico wish they had been on the canal boats with us. We saw them on the rr bridge as we passed under. Heard that train was very hot and not real great.

Funny side note: As we were going through the locks, a tanker was going through the other way next to us. We were all taking pics of them and they were taking pics of us.

Thanks Judy, for all the info on your trip. We leave a week from tomorrow on the Brilliance 11 night Panama Canal so was very glad to read your review. I was very disappointed to hear about the Seaview Cafe menu change. That was always something we looked forward to on our cruises. I was also surprised to read that you had 3 formal nights and no smart casual ones. I thought we would have 2 formal and 2 smart casual. I will have to make a few wardrobe changes! Do you happen to remember which nights were the formal ones? Also was wondering if they had a midnight buffet and which night it was? Hope this week flies by!!

brmoqueen,

The canal boats had padded seats for two on each side of the boat and held about 30 prople. There was a roof to keep the sun off of you. We saw howler monkeys, spider monkeys and we could hear but not see white faced monkeys. Not many but a few. Also saw a 2 toed sloth coming down out of a tree and a 3 toed sloth sleeping in the tree . Saw a small anteater taking a snooze on a branch, several crocodiles sunning on a sand bar and numerous birds.

Kim, I bought bun holders, linen holders that you put into a bread basket, snap together to make individual pockets to hold buns or rolls, for 3.95 @. In Panama I got linen liners for bread baskets on sale for $1.95 and linen toilet paper holders that hang on the wall for about $2 or $3 @. I didn't price the tablecloths as I already had two sets.

Gerald @ Trudy, you can no longer purchase liquor for in-room consumption. The liquor we bought was delivered to our room on the last night of the cruise. Don't tell anyone, but we brought our own on board in plastic soda bottles. Still had a horrendous bar bill!!!!

birdergal, Even though I emailed RCI and was told there would be 2 formals and 2 smart casuals that was not the case. We had 3 formal nights. Day 2, Day 7 and Day 10 were formal. Day 4 was the only Smart Casual.

There was a Chocolate Buffet, a buffet by the pool and the Gala Buffet. The buffet by th pool was on Day 5 (Aruba), Chocolate Buffet was on Day 6 (Curacao) and the Gala Buffet was on the next to last night. Good thing I saved my Cruise Compasses.

Hope everyone sailing on the Brilliance has as wonderful a cruise as Jack and I did.

Birdergal-

We have a very long thread going on the Meet and Mingle board for the Jan 23 Brilliance cruise. Lots of friendly folks there, we have I think 42 or so signed up for the Meet and Mingle. Come on over and introduce yourself!

We are all getting excited for the cruise and looking forward to meeting new friends.

Bev J

Archived