Rough Seas?

kanak attack

Kanak Attack,

We are going on the Feb 13 Diamond cruise also. You can find our thread in the roll call section. We always take what is called a relief band. You wear it like a watch and it sends electric pulses that are very effective at eliminating motion sickness with no side effects.

The Tasman can be very rough. I never take the ship from Melbourne to Tasmania, I always fly. I did it once (about 20+ years ago) and can still remember it vividly:eek: :eek: . I would recommend lots of medication and seabands.

Jane;)

I've been on some rough waters where at least 50% of the passengers were sick with "barf" bags lined alongside the stairwells, etc...so I am not looking forward to this! I hope it is during the time we are sleeping! This was one reason that I chose a lower deck this time (Plaza) for less motion that is usually felt the higher up you are.

A few encouraging words.

I have sailed Australia to NZ twice, and Melbourne to Tasmania twice. All journeys were during the Southern summer. There was no rough weather on any of these trips. So, it can be calm - all you need is a little luck.

So good luck, and enjoy!

Regards,

Steve.

WAVTAM,

Thanks so much for posting. Can you confirm that the muster drill for the Aukland embarkation was at 5:00PM and that the first dinner seating is at 5:45? Also what are the show times? Has the weather been good? We will be on the Diamond on Feb 13.

Just got back from the Diamond on the 20th. The crossing was very smooth with 2 exceptions. Apparently, the night between Milford Sound & Dunedin was extremely rough (we traveled overland to Queenstown and missed it) and the night after Tauranga was very windy (the waves weren't too bad) According to bridge staff they recorded gusts up to 80 knots and that those are considered hurricane force. Mostly, they just had the stabilizers pitched hard to the starboard side of the ship, so being on the port side I had to walk uphill in my cabin to get to the balcony. I didn't mind any of this, I love the rocking to sleep, but I understand this is not how everyone feels.

Yippee! I am doing the doc dance right here at my desk! Received them today--27 days and counting! As for the rockin' and rollin', I hope my Ambien will do the trick, as my stateroom is on the port side <evil grin>!

Thanks everybody for the input and bon voyage!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The Tasman Sea is unpredictable - we were on the April 2nd cruise from Auckland this year - we had 2 rough days during which the ship rocked & rolled - all outside decks were closed - pools were drained and they also closed the gym - for passenger's safety -

My albums are posted on:

http://elizabeth-lewis.magix.net/

go through NZ/Aus album until you come to tasman sea and you can see the pictures -

but it was worth it!

Archived