transportation, beach and shopping info for you

39august

Just back from 14 day round trip to the islands and thought I'd share some information. There are free shuttles in each port. These are to Hilo Hatties, Walmart, K-Mart, and on Kona, the Kona Shopping Center. On Kauai there is a shuttle to Anchor Cove Shopping and Beach. In Honolulu there is a stop right in front of the Aloha Towers Shopping Center for the $2 Waikiki Trolley. There are also The Bus stops nearby. The Bus is about $2 to anywhere. You can stay on for a complete circle and see Waikiki and Diamond Head. In Lahaina look for the $1 bus/trolley schedule online at lahainacannery.com/shuttleschedule.html. You board this bus behind the Cinema complex just across the street from Banyan Tree park, which is just a bit to the right of the tender bock. For Kaanapali Beach(one of the best), get off at Whaler's Village and walk thru it to the beach. There was a place to rent umbrellas and lounges a short walk to the right as you come thru Whaler's Village. There is a small swimming beach just right of the tender dock in Kona, and there is a beach at the King Kamahamaha Hotel to the left of the tender dock in Kona. However, the beach is small and the view is mostly of the tender dock! I didn't see the beach near the Anchor Cove Shopping Center in Kauai but I have been advised that it is nice. You could also walk to the beach at the Marriot Hotel in Kauai. It is about 10 minutes. You can see the hotel from the front of the ship. For better deals on t-shirts, hats, and other souviners(sp), go to one of the ABC Stores. Much better prices than Hilo Hatties. And there are ABC stores near most docking areas in all the islands. Aloha.

Thanks so much. I copied and pasted several of your comments to a spreadsheet that I'm keeping of valuable information I've read on these boards. I have a section for each island and you helped me with some new info on about 3 of them that I didn't know. I will be taking this with me when we leave for Hawaii on June 23rd for our 3 night pre-cruse stay in Oahu and 7 night cruise on the Pride of Hawaii. So thank you again very much!

39August thanks for the info. Posted it over on our 2007 Hawaii sailing.

Susan :)

Hi Susan -- Greetings from Oregon! How's Alaska? When are you going to Hawaii? We are going on the Island Princess (again!) Oct 6. I looked into other lines but they didn't go to Kauai and I really like that Island so we are doing a repeat.

Debbie (Coral Princess to Panama April)

Yes, thanks so much for your helpful comments. As other posters said, this is great info to have.

Thecruisers723: I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who did a spreadsheet (among other things) for this cruise! I felt I was being anal-retentive to have to come up with such a system, but I guess not! ;)

Leigh Ann

Hi Susan -- Greetings from Oregon! How's Alaska? When are you going to Hawaii? We are going on the Island Princess (again!) Oct 6. I looked into other lines but they didn't go to Kauai and I really like that Island so we are doing a repeat.

Debbie (Coral Princess to Panama April)

Debbie,

Myself, Emmy, Roberta, Maria, Paula & Charlie have booked the 4/28/07 sailing of the Radiance of the Seas. Actually got my cabin booked while we were on the Coral. You're right, unfortunately we won't do Kauai this time but there is always a next time :D

Susan :)

Archived