Tapestry--do I need an adaptor for hairdryer?

MomC

MomC,

According to my information all river cruise ships on the European rivers (France, Rhine/Main/Danube) do have European plugs and 230V. The Tapestry is owned by a German company. So you will find German plugs and 230V. To use your own hair dryer or curling iron you will need

- an adaptor because of the different plug-ins

- a step down converter because of the different voltage (230V instead of your 110V), as long as your electronic devices don´t have dual voltage

For a step down converter also check the wattage of your hair dryer and curling iron.

I do have a step down converter for my Christmas lights which I bought in the US and use in Germany. This is a very "weak" one (low wattage) and I only can plug in 2 chains of Christmas lights. For a hair dryer you need a converter which is able to cope with a high wattage. Otherwise either your converter or your hair dryer will blow up.

Converters can be quite heavy. It might be easier to get a dual voltage travel hair dryer / curling iron. Many of them come with a multi purpose adapter. And you won´t need a converter then.

steamboats

There is a 110 outlet in the bathroom along with a hair dryer, but in the U. S. our electricity is delivered at 60 cycles Alternating Current while most of the electricity in Europe is delivered at somewhere around 50 cycles. This would cause your dryer and curling iron to not delver the same service you would get in the states. That is why you may see lighting not be as steady in its lumination, and at lower cycles you may see lights blinking on and off very quickley.

DEEGEE,

Usually 110V outlets in a bathroom are for electric shavers only! Anything else won´t fit in the special outlets and anything else usually doesn´t work. With a 1500W hair dryer you´d blow that thing anyway!

On the MV Mozart there was a warning next to that bathroom outlet not to use it with anything else than an electric shaver.

steamboats

We were on the Tapestry last month, our room came with a hair dryer which had to be plugged in not in the bathroom but in the cabin itself. There was a 110 outlet in the bathroom. Hint, the bathroom light must be on in order for that outlet to work.

All the best!

Labe

Archived