Carnival Pride - May 9th, 2004 - Review, Pt 7 (LONG)

marklodi

“Wednesday, May 12th, 2004 – Captain Alessandro Galotto Welcomes you to Puerto Vallartaâ€

I woke up at 6:00am and quietly took a shower and got dressed. The sun was just coming up, so I headed up to the jogging track above the spa and took some shots of the sunrise over the Mexican coastline. Unfortunately my camera doesn’t do night or low-light shots very well, especially on a moving ship (major blur), but I got a few good ones. As we started to near port, I headed back down to the cabin and found Mona up and heading towards the shower. The night before we had filled out one of those Room Service Breakfast Cards and hung it outside our door. We asked for a 6:30-ish delivery and it arrived right on time. Fruit and Danish for me, bagel and cereal for Mona. And while it was okay, we made the effort to go up and have a hot breakfast on deck each morning from then on. Cold breakfast like this we have everyday at home. We’re cruising, remember? Bring on the calories!

When Mona was ready, we went up to the Sun Deck and watched as the Captain swung the ship around to dock, and then stopped by our room to grab our things for port. We both wore fanny packs (I apologize to my friends in Australia and England where that term means a whole different thing!) Mine has a water bottle holder built into it, which was perfect. (Oh, man, that sounds even worse! icon_biggrin.gif)

Water. If you buy bottled water on the ship, you’re going to pay a fortune for it. However, as many here have said, the water on the ship from the taps is just as pure (if not more so) than most bottled water! It’s distilled from the huge evaporators on the ship and tasted great. Knowing this, we brought 4 empty water bottles from home in our luggage, and filled them up when we got on board. Stashing them in the refrigerator, they were cold and ready for port!

We also made sure we had our hats, suntan lotion and camera, as well as small bills and a pocket full of gold dollars (these work great for tips!) We took the elevator down to A deck (A Deck, Forward, is where you disembark at both Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.) Down on A deck, we were held in line until right at 8am, and then were allowed to go ashore. There was no priority for shore excursions – just whomever wanted to get off the ship. Right before you leave the ship, you need your Sail & Sign card out, and you insert it into a kiosk that says “Exitâ€. The kiosk dings, meaning you are checked out of the ship, and you take your card and proceed to…a ship’s photographer on the gangway. This is where you have the picture taken with the small life preserver below you, which says the ship, port name and that day’s date. Once done here, you walk onto the pier and take another couple of pictures. First we took one with a parrot, and then with a couple of guys in what looked like Aztec War Paint.

Finally past the photographers, we were greeted by a Mariachi band and then immediately introduced to several hawkers trying to sell tours on shore. We repeated the phrase we had practiced – No, Gracias – and continued past them, to where we saw a half dozen people holding shore excursion signs. These tours I recognized, and one was ours. The gentlemen directed us around the right side of the terminal towards several rows of tour buses.

As we turned to head that direction, some guy in a sombrero called to us. He was standing there with two donkeys, one adult and one baby, and a pile of hats. Before we could get out our reply, we were wearing sombreros, had a baby donkey standing between us, and the guys motioned for my camera. I gave him a cautious look, but one of the Carnival tour guides standing behind him nodded it was okay. He took our picture, then said, “Wait. Wait. No good. Here.†He lifted the baby donkey and put him into my arms! Then he put Mona’s visor on the donkey’s head and took another picture! It was great! He said, “I do for tips, whatever you can give me.†Well, the picture was very cool, so I gave him a gold dollar and he thanked us.

We continued over to the flea market that was just on the other side of the buses and walked around a bit. Lots of invitations to come into shops…â€Senior! Please! Almost free for you! Good dollars!†Um, yeah…where’s that bus? The one shop we did want to stop in – Del Sol – was still closed, so we headed over to our bus and got on board.

We got on board and soon the bus was nearly full. We met our guide Sergio, who was very friendly and had the neatest voice. Kind of high-pitched and always ended on a up beat. Mona said he sounded like he had permanently inhaled helium. icon_smile.gif He was born in Mexico, but was raised in El Paso, Texas. He came back to Puerto Vallarta several years ago to visit and never left. He has a true love for the area and spoke fondly of it as we toured. The driver’s name was Ebo. He didn’t speak English, but Sergio said Ebo was his best friend and one of the best drivers in Puerto Vallarta.

The name of the tour was Countryside Adventure, and the excursion description said we would end up at a shopping spot called Plaza Genovese. However Sergio took us there first, saying it was easier this way and allowed us more time in the beautiful countryside. As we drove, Sergio pointed out how Americanized Mexico was becoming, pointing out a Sam’s Club and Walmart, Office Depot, Domino’s and Pizza Hut, and several other shops and businesses you would normally associate with the U.S. I asked why the gas stations didn’t display their prices. He explained that in Mexico, there was only one gas company: Pemex (Petroleum Mexico) So they didn’t have to post the prices. He said that gas prices were very high in Mexico. Currently a gallon of gas was selling for $2.40 U.S. I laughed and told him later that when we left L.A., I saw it selling for $2.41. He just shook his head and said he was glad he was in Mexico.

Plaza Genovese was a series of about 4 shops, 3 of them jewelry stores. We went inside the 4th one, which was your traditional souvenir and t-shirt shop. We picked up a few postcards, a little sombrero with a tiny bottle of tequila attached, and a bottle of pure vanilla. Strictly touristy stuff. We’re so predictable. The other stores had some very nice art pieces and jewelry, but nothing we liked or could afford.

Soon we left the shopping area and headed out of town. About a half hour later, we pulled into a small farming village called La Desembocada. The bus dropped us off on a side street and drove about a block away to meet us. This was mostly small huts on dirt roads. The weather was hot and humid, but somewhat refreshing. As we walked, Sergio pointed out different plants and fruits, talked about the farmers and what they grew, etc. We passed by a small house when a young lady came out. Trailing her were two small puppies. They came up to the fence and were absolutely adorable. She opened the gate to her yard and was talking to one of the other guests, when I saw one of the puppies walk shyly over to her. I bent down and asked her if I could hold him. She said Si, and I lifted him up. Everyone let out an “Aw†as I held him up and scratched his head. Mona took a picture of me holding him. He was just so adorable. I sat him back down and he ran back into the yard, tackling his brother. The people talking to the lady were invited into her home for a look around, while we slowly walked onward.

We saw a cow and baby calf in the next yard, and lots of chickens. It was a strange feeling, walking through what we would classify as a very poor neighborhood, but seeing everyone happy and relaxed and so welcoming to us. They weren’t selling anything out of their homes. There were no shops nearby. Just a small village opening up their homes and lives to strangers from other countries, traipsing through their town. I could see why Sergio spoke of it all with such love and passion. We continued through the village, ending at a church under construction. We reverently walked inside, all the men removing their hats, and were allowed to take pictures in the chapel. We saw a table that held some beautiful rosary beads with a small cross on the end. In the middle of the cross was a tiny hole, and when you held the cross up to the light and looked through the hole, you could see a picture of Jesus. The nuns made them to sell to make money for the church. Mona bought a beige one and is very proud of it. The cost was only $4, and I think they sold them all.

We boarded the bus and Sergio asked how we liked the town. We all applauded. Next we pulled into a very beautiful roadside restaurant. Sergio said this was a new stop for the tour, so he apologized in advance if there were any problems. He went with us and helped interpret for us, even taking some of our orders as the staff was a bit overwhelmed with all the people. We sat down with another couple and found out that they live about a half hour from us here in Northern California. I have to apologize if they read this, as we cannot recall their names. I wish we had written it down as we would love to meet them again.

The waitresses brought over a huge bowl of homemade tortilla chips and 3 different salsas, then a plate of cheese, crackers, and a dish of cucumbers and something called Jicama, which is like a potato but is actually a fruit. It isn’t sweet, and tastes more like potato than fruit. But when dipped in salsa, mmmmm. We also received a small bowl of a fish-based consume (or soup), which was salty but very good. And all of that was free before we even ordered! Mona and I ordered a plate of cheese quesadillas, which were very good. Mona had a Corona and I had a Coke. The whole cost of the meal for us? Less than $8 U.S. We were very surprised!

Before we knew it, it was time to get back on the bus and head to our last stop, a small town called Las Palmas. Where La Desembocada was rural, Las Palmas was more urban, with cobblestone streets and a town square. We were given a half hour to wander wherever we want, and were encouraged to talk to the people in town. They were celebrating some holiday, and there were a bunch of very unsafe-looking carnival-type rides sitting in the streets. Everything was closed, but I still couldn’t imagine riding any of these. There was a tilt-o-whirl that looked like it had tilted once too many times. We wandered around town, and a group of us joined Sergio as he headed towards a small ice cream shop. Here they made all of their ice creams from scratch, and I had a small bowl of cookies & cream, while Mona had a cone with Pistachio. The cost? $1 U.S. Again, the low prices blew my mind.

We saw two young boys dressed like Charros, or Mexican cowboys, sitting on horseback singing to us as we walked by. I tipped one of them a gold dollar, and he nodded his head a deftly slipped the coin in his pocket, without missing a beat. Obviously he had done this before. I remember Sergio had mentioned a Tortilleria in town, but didn’t see anyone heading that way. They were all looking at stalls of vendors selling athletic shoes and cowboy hats, unboxed toys and other knick-knacks. Sergio, who was trying to twirl one of the young boy’s ropes, pointed at a small building down a side street, and encouraged me to go visit it. Mona and I wandered over and found three men and a young boy working inside this open air tortilla shop. There was a large oven that had a metal conveyor belt attached to it, and hot corn tortillas were coming out. One of the men was stacking these tortillas on brown paper and wrapping them up in stacks of about 25. I asked the man if I could take some pictures and he said, “Jes, Jes, please.†I then asked how much for a stack of hot tortillas. He thought for a moment and said “Cincoâ€. I said, “Dollars?!?!†He shook his head and said, “No, No. Pesos.†5 pesos? That was it? I handed him a 5 peso coin and he said gracias, handing me a huge wrapped bundle of steaming hot tortillas. Cost in U.S.? 50 cents.

We headed back to the bus, where everyone was walking to now, and handed our new friends, including Sergio, a piping hot tortilla. They were delicious, but they don’t keep very well. Once they were cold, they didn’t taste that great and we later threw the few we had left away. Sergio said that every town has a tortilla factory, and for each meal, the young boys and girls would run to the factory to get a stack of tortillas for that meal. Nothing was wasted, and there were always fresh ones for the next meal.

Before we knew it we were pack at the pier, and saying goodbye to Sergio. We tipped him $5 and thanked him for a wonderful tour. Before heading back to the ship, we went back over to the flea market and stopped in the Del Sol store. Everything in Del Sol changes colors in the sun. We purchased t-shirts for ourselves and the kids, and headed back to the ship. Mona made a wide berth around a guy with a huge boa constrictor, apparently trying the same pose for a picture trick as the guy with the baby donkey.

At the gangway, you had to check back in using your Sail & Sign card. You walked up to a podium, inserted your card, and a security officer verified your face against the one on file. You then walked up to a metal detector next to an x-ray machine. Your bags went through the machine while you went through the detector. After that, there was a small table on the side where you were asked to check any alcohol you purchased. It would be returned to you on the last night of the cruise.

We headed into the ship and cleaned up, when Mona mentioned we were running out of certain clothes. It seems were changing a lot, either because of a formal meal or it being warm or being covered in oil (Yowsa.) And well we were running out of clothes. So we made a trip to the nearest laundry room, which was located on Deck 6, port side, all the way forward. I even took pictures of the room! (yes, they’ll be on WebShots.) Washing was $2, so was drying. While Mona ran a load, I headed up to the Internet Café to check on work and make a posting to Cruise Critic. I also sent an e-mail to our kids at home, letting them know how everything was going and how much fun we were having.

I collected Mona and the wash, and we headed back to the room. We looked at the clock and saw it was 4pm. We headed down to meet our next tour, the Rhythms of the Night tour.

Now I will tell you up front, this tour did not go well for me. As you may have noticed when I’ve mentioned drinks, I rarely have any alcohol. The most I have had up to this point was a single screwdriver at the Captain’s Cocktail Party and a glass of champagne at the Auction. That’s it. Why? Just not really into alcohol.

Anyway, on to the tour. Rhythms of the Night consists of a 90-minute boat ride on a “party boat†(a two-level catamaran-like ship) with an open bar and a lot of loud music. You went to a beautiful remote island called Las Calletas, where you had dinner and then watched the Rhythms of the Night show, and then a 90-minute ride back, dancing and carousing, etc.

We met Pat and LaMar at the dock and waited for the tour to start. We were led through a gate and around the back side of the ship to a dock where our “party boat†from the company Vallarta Adventures was waiting. We climbed on board and Mona and I found a spot right in front. Everyone whooped and hollered as we passed the Pride and headed into open water.

Or should I say ROUGH SEAS, because that ride got really rough really fast. You couldn’t walk 2 feet without grabbing hold of a chair, the railing or someone you hoped wouldn’t mind holding you up. Our host was Pepe, and the music was quite loud. Also joining us was a videographer from the Pride. Remember I mentioned the Travelogue video? Well this was my chance! I danced and waved at the camera, much to Mona’s chagrin – perhaps because there was no free painting as a reward. Still I was having a great time. But the waves started getting worse, with water occasionally lapping onto the deck. Everyone seemed to be having a great time…except me.

See, I don’t get seasick or motion sick. Never have. It’s not a problem for me….until now. I started feeling pretty queasy. I got up and headed down into the men’s bathroom. That was a major mistake. The smell down there was horrible, and with no air circulation, it was a sauna. As soon as I was down there, I couldn’t get out. Nausea hit me like one of those waves, and I found myself hunched over a garbage dripping in sweat. After a bit, Mona came looking for me and saw me down there. I wasn’t alone, as another guy was in the same condition. Pepe soon appeared with small plastic bags, and just in time. I heaved-ho, so to speak and they finally helped me up the stairs to fresh air.

And the worse part wasn’t the nausea, it was the embarrassment. Everyone was looking at me, or so it seemed. The boat docked and I could barely walk. God bless Pat – or Mom as I now call her – she held me up as we got off the boat. I thrust the camera into Mona’s hands and said, “Take lots of pictures, because I’m not going to remember any of this…or want to anyway.†And she did. She took pictures of everything. I found pictures of the performers, the decorations, the ocean, a small rock, something that looks like an insect and the bottom of someone’s shoe (???) Well, at least she kept shooting.

We got up to the restaurant area, where the food was served buffet style. But nothing smelled good and I couldn’t get anything into my stomach. I quickly learned the word Banos, and made the seemingly 8-mile trek up the hill several times. After everyone finished eating, there was a delay before the show started and we wandered down to the beach. I collapsed on a lounge chair, and Mona took a wonderful picture of me looking like I’m dead. Yes, I’ll post it to WebShots so everyone can see how much fun I had. Whee. Then some conk shells sounded and it was time for the show. We sat on long metal or wood benches, and the show was some sort of interpretive dance thingy having to do with the importance of corn.

Who the heck writes their material????

Anyway, I tried to watch some of it, but…um, Banos anyone? By the time I came back out, the show was over and we headed back to the ship. Oh, man… I tried to sit in the back of the boat, but the calmest spot on the ship was also the designated smoking area. Smoke makes me sick without already being nauseated, so that would have been a disaster. Instead we hobbled up to the second deck where I found a bench near the stairs, hugged a railing and closed my eyes. I was actually doing okay until Mona tapped my shoulder and whispered hurriedly, “Mark! Video guy!†Oh, man. Not now.

Before I could lift my head all the way, a bright video light hit me square in the face with the strength of about 20 suns going supernova. I have since seen the video that he shot. It’s on the travelogue, but he was kind in the editing. All you see is me raising my head and squinting, managing a feeble smile and turning away. But right behind me, with a smile a mile wide and waving wildly was my dear wife.

We arrived finally back at the dock and I staggered back to land. Not caring what anyone thought, as soon as I hit land, I dropped to my knees and kissed the concrete. Many people laughed. Where are you now, Mr. Video Guy? Huh?

To be fair, many people had a great time, so here’s a description of what happened on the tour regardless of what happened to me. The boat pulled away from the dock and the open bar immediately, well, opened. All free. Rum Punch. Margaritas. You name it. They also had an ice chest full of bottled water. The boat moved out past the Pride, offering some amazing views of this ship from her starboard side. Then out to open water, where the boat picked up the pace considerably. The music was playing, and Pepe, the host, introduced all of the crew (6 in all) who danced for everyone. That was hilarious. And the views of the coastline were spectacular (when you could see them beyond the rocking.)

When the boat arrived in Las Calletas, there were actors and dancers dressed in tribal outfits, standing up of the rocks, blowing conk shells and playing didgeridoos (are we in Mexico or Australia?) They formed small tableaus as the guests walked past towards the open-air restaurant. Once there, you were directed to tables based on the number of people in your group, served a soda or beer, and then told you could go up to the barbeque buffet line. I’m afraid I can’t speak for the food, obviously, but my wife said they had steak and chicken, but both were very dry and very bland. Your mileage may vary. After dinner, the show had to wait for the sun to go down, so your were invited to explore this part of the island. If you need to use the “Banosâ€, they were a short hike up a hill where small huts without electricity (but WITH running water and plumbing) were available. Along the rocky beach were lounge chairs and hammocks, and many laid down with their loved ones to watch the sunset. There was a small shop, but again I cannot say personally what was available.

When the sun had gone down, a horn was blown and everyone proceeded to a large amphitheater. There before them were a set of huge stairs shaped like a pyramid. Theatrical lighting and smoke effects were used a lot (or maybe that was just my vision at the time…no, Mona said they were doing that. Whew.) There was a narrator, explaining the importance of Corn and the legend of how it came to Mexico. There was a lot of interpretive dance and a live drummer supplemented the soundtrack. And while I missed it, Mona said they had a fire dancer at the end that was quite spectacular. When the show was done, you were loaded back onto the boat, for more open bar, more dancing and music, until we reached the dock and walked (staggered) back to the Pride.

Pat and Mona again helped me back to the ship, and I made it back to the cabin before getting sick again. I then went to sleep about 10:30pm. At midnight I woke up and felt absolutely fantastic and was ready to party! But by then the Pride was sailing for Mazatlan, and my dear wife was sound asleep, her breathing slow and rhythmic. And honestly that’s the only Rhythm of the Night I cared to hear….

------------------------------------------------

I’ll be updating our WebShots Gallery continuously over then next several days, so be sure to stop by and see the new pictures and scanned documents from the Cruise.

Here are links to the previous parts of this review:

Review, Pt 1 - Overview

Review, Pt 2 - The Trip to L.A. & The Queen Mary

Review, Pt 3 - Embarkation Day (Part One)

Review, Pt 4 - Embarkation Day (Part Two)

Review, Pt 5 – Monday, First Sea Day

Review, Pt 6 – Tuesday, Second Sea Day

Mark ºoº

5/9/04 Pride Cruise - 1st Cruise!

Visit our Webshots Gallery

LMAO Mark! I bet the Travelogue video is hysterical all due to your part. Oh, your memories of PV.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

05/30/04 Carnival Pride cruise & the wraparound balcony

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Mom's 80th birthday- It's no longer a surprise!!

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Okay, Mark, I think I've got it.

You're really James Michener. You and your wife faked your death several years ago, changed your identity and moved to Lodi. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Superb writing style. I've taken this Carnival itinerary 9 times now and you make it almost more interesting than actually doing it. icon_smile.gif

I'll stay tuned for the next installment. icon_wink.gif

Live well, love much, laugh often.

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

Hey, Mark. In phote 31 of 31 in Puerto Vallarta, what are all those things in the yard?

Vette

NCL Norway

Carnival Holiday

NCL Sun

NCL Sea

NCL Wind

Carnival Celebration

RCI Splendour of the Seas

Carnival Pride 1/04

Caribbean Princess 2/05

The picture of the bull fighting ring brought back horrible memories. About 10 years ago, we vacationed in PV and Barry insisted on going to a bull fight. After the first one, he was ready to go. I had been ready to go before we even arrived. NEVER AGAIN!

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

05/30/04 Carnival Pride cruise & the wraparound balcony

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Mom's 80th birthday- It's no longer a surprise!!

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

As usual, great job! Loved your description of the donkeys and sombreros. Growing up in Tucson, an hour from the border, we went to Nogales a lot with relatives. We have so many of the donkey cart/sombrero pictures!

Elise

7/11 Pride Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;07;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Vette, double-check that picture number again, because I added a bunch more and I think they're off now. Picture 31 is of the ATVs we passed by on the bus, and I don't think that's what your question was referring to. Anyway, just let me know. icon_smile.gif

Mark ºoº

5/9/04 Pride Cruise - 1st Cruise!

Visit our Webshots Gallery

Hi Mark,

Thanks, that was the answer to my question. They looked like ATV's, but I couldn't quite tell, and at the time I looked at it there was no caption.

Ah - tomorrow is Mazatlan!!!!!!!

Vette

NCL Norway

Carnival Holiday

NCL Sun

NCL Sea

NCL Wind

Carnival Celebration

RCI Splendour of the Seas

Carnival Pride 1/04

Caribbean Princess 2/05

Archived