Just in from the "Glory" Eastern!!!!!

Juliah67

OMG! I am ADDICTED! This was my first cruise and I am still so HIGH from it! I had the time of my life! There were 15 of us from our 2 families. My husband, son and I shared a cabin. We booked a guarantee 4C and ended up being upgraded and had a nice "inside" cabin on deck 8. We had 2 twin beds and a bed that came down from the ceiling which my son LOVED! I'll post a summary of my trip.

For those of you who followed my BIRTH CERTIFICATE dilemma (dh did not have original state issued raised seal b/c)....well, the good news is....he got on the ship! However, the guy checking us in advised him to get a state issued one (we had hospital). Also, I forgot my passport had my MAIDEN name and I did not have my marriage license, but I was still allowed on board icon_smile.gif Next time I will be PREPARED, LOL!

Embarkation and debarkation were a breeze, no problems, went very smoothly each time.

The ship was beautiful...everyone was friendly, no obnoxious drunks...lots of happy kids....staff was SUPERB! Loved our towel animals icon_smile.gif

The food was AWESOME! There was a fish dish AND a vegetarian dish each night, so I was quite happy. All 15 of us all found something wonderful to eat, and lots of it. I am underweight and expected to gain, but oddly enough I didn't gain a pound. Lots of walking, dancing, taking stairs, etc probably did that! We had lunch in the Red Sail 2 times, the rest in the Platinum Dining room. Breakfast always in Red Sail. Loved dancing with the waiters and waitresses during dinner! We celebrated 3 birthdays in our party and had them put a candle in the dessert and they sang Happy Berfday (never could figure out what you guys were talking about before, now I KNOW! LOL!)

There were SO many activities on board! The 3 in our family did nearly everything....well, mostly me and my 5 year old son, but dh did his share. I danced on deck, did the games and won lots of points for my team. I did NOT get a ship on a stick though (sob). I absolutely LOVED Renaldo's Latin Dance class on stage and we watched ourselves (son did this too!) on tv day after day. Also loved the country and disco classes too. I sang KAROAKE! I can NOT sing, but my nieces persuade me and we (2 nieces and my little boy) sang "Hey Ya" by Outkast. Son was a hit as he also DANCED! Did the basketball free throw contest (I threw granny style and sucked). Dh did the golf putting contest. I tried limbo, but I'm 6' tall, so clearly height was not to my advantage.

We went to the White Heat Disco one night...had a blast. Loved the "drink of the day" specials and also had several pina coladas. I gambed....used 85 cents and lost in all (3 quarters and 2 nickels). Husband won $40 when his brother made a blackjack bet for him. Then husband gambled $20 and lost. So.....we're $20 ahead. We are lame gamblers.

Excursions were GREAT! Nassau was fun...we went the Atlantis and walked around. It was supposed to cost $25 pp, but we didn't know and did it for free. Not our favorite island, but glad we went there. Not a place I'm dying to see again though.

In St. Thomas, we took the Godfrey/Timmy tour! LOVED IT! We had Timmy and he was GREAT! Went to the top and had a banana daquiri. The first sip kicked my booty icon_smile.gif We went to Sapphire Beach and had great snorkeling. Son brought home a huge bag of rocks and shells (*****?)

St. Martaan was my favorite day OF MY LIFE! All 15 of us rented a van (thanks to Cyt's husband) and drove to Orient Beach. We got a bit lost, but that was pretty amusing in itself! We stayed right near the nude border and the kids were unfazed by the nudity. My 5 year old son and I went parasailing together! What an AMAZING experience!!!! It was SO fun! I've been scuba diving before as well as sky diving, and this topped everything. My son LOVED it and was not afraid. We had a great time talking up in the air and marveling at God's creation!!!! Also rented a jet-ski and that was really fun!

Spent a decent amount of money, but probably low comparitively. Well worth every cent. Our sign and sail was around $400 ($210 were tips). Bought 8 drinks, some souveniers and $20 of gambling money. Oh...and some of the pictures!

Excursions, etc...we spent around $400 (Godfrey was $20 pp + tip), parasailing was $80 (best money I have ever spent), jetski was $40, daquiris, lunch and extra tips....well, it adds up quickly icon_smile.gif

Tipped on the sign and sail but gave outstanding staff and matre'd extra cash.

I'm trying to think of what I have neglected to include. For those with an upcoming Glory vacation, feel free to ask for more info on anything. I have gotten SO much info and support from this board! Would love to repay in any way I can! Cyt will give her review soon, I think she and family are heading to Vegas this week.

Oh yeah, I took dramine the first day and no sea-sickness (I am mostly nauseous even on land due to meds, but I was fine!) No one in our party of 15 was sick!

This was everything I could have imagined and WAY more! We can't wait to plan our next cruise!!!

Love to you all,

Aye yi yi....Julie

[This message was edited by Juliah67 on 06-05-04 at 03:16 PM.]

My sister and her family were on this cruise with a big group from Monroe, GA. I think they had Timmy on their Godfree Tour, my sister said she was not too comfortable with the driving. She too liked St. Martin the best.

Glad you had a good time on your first Cruise, are you hooked now?

Badge 454

Grandeur 2-04

Pride 6-03

Fascination 2-03

Fantasy 6-02

Destiny 2-98

Imagination 7-96

Sensation 12-93

Hey Julie..we got back later than we thought..I am soo exhausted..I was glad to hear you guys got right off the ship ok..we had gotten all of our luggage except for one hang up bag in a matterof five minutes and then waited 2 hrs for the one missing...it was crazy..but it did give Alexias and Allie more time together while we waited. Well I am outta here I need to finish doing the laundry and get to packing for other trip..as you said I will give review later...yours was awesome..I really enjoyed reading it!!!! Ciao

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Caribbean Princess Oct 23 2004

Legend November 19 2004

Juliah,

Glad that you had a great time! I was online the night you discovered the problem w/the brith certificate & kept hoping that u would be able to get on w/no problems. I will say these boards were so encouraging, that I felt positive u would be OK.

Thanks for the great review icon_rolleyes.gif

Inspiration: 11/4/04

Glad you had a great time, we leave in 3 weeks and do have a question?

We have read that they have life boat drill at the same time they sail away and was wondering what your experence was.

Ed

81: Skyward,

85: Norway

97: Seabreeze,

98: Destiny

99: Ecstasy,

99: Jubilee

00: Explorer of the Seas

01: Destiny

02: Imagination

02: Regal Empress

03: Imagination

03: Adventure of the Seas

GLORY CRUISE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Juliah67,

Glad you had a great 1st cruise! We're leaving on the Glory next Saturday (June 12) for the Eastern itinerary. A few questions:

1. I read where you took dramamine and were not seasick. Was it rocky the 1st night or so and did you see anyone else that seemed seasick?

2. What time would you suggest getting to the ship for embarkation?

3. We are planning to parasail on St. Maarten at Orient Beach. Is this the kind of parasailing done from the beach or off of the back of a boat?

4. Were there any places at Orient Beach to get some lunch and if so, about how much $$$ would you say to bring?

We are going to have a group of 20 with us and any info will be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much!!

tootiesmom icon_smile.gif

Dear Ed....we did have the mandatory lifeboat drill at 4:00 pm...which is about the time they sail away. We got there right at 4:00 and it lasted maybe 15 minutes I think? It was boring and hot, but a small price to pay for 7 days of FUN! We went right up to the top deck after the drill and waved goodbye to all the people ashore. You'll LOVE your trip! Have FUN! Love, Juliah

Dear Tootiesmom, I am so excited for you and your upcoming trip! You are going to have SO MUCH FUN! Let me try to answer your questions.

1. About seasickness....Like I said, I am VERY sensitive and did not experience seasickness. I didn't hear of anyone who did. I have read that the Glory can be rocky, but I didn't find it to be so. I have no other ship to compare it to though. Very smooth and unless I was on deck 1, I'd often forget we were really moving. I took the dramamine non-drowsy as a precaution. My husband and other family members did not take anything and were fine. Bring some in case and maybe take it the first day and go from there.

2. What time would you suggest getting to the ship for embarkation? We arrived at Port Canaveral at 11:30 am and were eating lunch in the Red Sail by 12:00 pm. The lines were not long and it went very quickly and smoothly. 11:30 seemed like a good time to get there icon_smile.gif I think some in our party got there earlier..maybe 11? Not sure if they boarded right away (Cyt, can you answer?) I thought we'd have to wait to get on the ship, but we went straight on. Bring bathing suits and stuff b/c you won't have luggage until later. We went swimming after lunch....slide was open and not crowded at all! The pools and hot tubs were open as well.

3. We are planning to parasail on St. Maarten at Orient Beach. Is this the kind of parasailing done from the beach or off of the back of a boat?

We parasailed off the back of a boat. That is the only kind I saw. It was $45 for one or $80 for 2. If there are kids, they may have to go up 3 at a time to meet weight requirements. 2 of my nieces and a nephew all went together. My son and I went together. You will LOVE it!

4. Were there any places at Orient Beach to get some lunch and if so, about how much $$$ would you say to bring?

We ate at a really cool restaurant right on the beach. It was fairly close to the sign that said "Nude Beach" or something....to the left of that (if you're facing the ocean). There are outside shopping huts right there too. We saw several beachside restaurants...all seemed reasonably priced. We ate at one called the Naked Egg Something...I forget the name...(Cyt, do you remember?). My son got a cheeseburger and fries for about $8, my husband got a hero sandwich for about the same. I drank a local beer (forget the name)...but you must try one. Also, you HAVE to see the mongoose! One of my favorite experiences of the trip! We also saw iguanas walking around the beach near us. If you want to rent chairs/umbrellas, you can barter with them. We got 2 chairs, one umbrella and 2 drinks (pina coladas) for $7 per person for the day. Well worth it.

Have a GREAT trip! Feel free to ask any more questions if you have any! Love, Juliah

How did you son like Camp Carnival. We are going with my 2 year old, who is a clingy to me. We plan on having my husband take him to the camp so he won't cry as much. When I ask him he says he wants to play there without mommy. He has gotten better over the past 2 weeks though. For my 6 year old he is excited, 3rd cruise for him but only the 2nd one that he remembers. He can't wait for the camp.

Mar

Glory Cruise 6/26

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;26;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jubilee 6/89

Ectasy 5/91

Jubilee 6/92

Soverign of the Seas 5/93

Majesty of the Seas 6/94

Monarch of the Seas 6/95

Monarch of the Seas 7/97

Enchanment of the Seas 5/99

Imagination 6/2000

Adveture of the Seas 3/2002

Dear Mar.....I know you will all have a FABULOUS trip! My 5-year-old actually never went to Camp Carnival. Alexander had 5 cousins (varying ages) on the ship with him and they all spoiled him ROTTEN! We did most stuff together as a family and a few times let him go around with his cousins without us (some are teenagers). We did go to the Camp Carnival talk and fully expected he'd go there, but really we were too busy doing other stuff. I met several parents who said their kids LOVED it and didn't want to leave! If we go on a cruise without our extended family, I'm sure Alexander will be in Camp Carnival a lot! A suggestion I have....take a 2-way radio so the counselors can contact you if they need to. I didn't see this done, but would probably do that if I left my son in there. I saw the kids making a lot of cool crafts, they got to play in the video arcade for free, watched cool movies, did games, ate dinner together, etc. It looked like a TON of fun! I bet your kids will have a blast! Can't wait to hear a review when you return!!!!!! Love, Juliah

Hey I will let you know we got to the pier about 11:15 am and were up eating by 11:30 and their was already lots of folks in front of us.

Now for the name of the restaurant at Orient Beach it was called Baywatch owned by Cheryl and Andy. They have a very large menu of lots of things to eat from fries to Lasanga, Mussells, and oh my hubby loved the Margarita shrimp they were awesome!! They have a great selection..this would be the place to eat at for sure!!

With the parasiling you also get a jet ski ride to the boat plus a boat ride if lots in party going so it was well worth the money!!

yu can rent a van for 169.70 from Hertz right off the ship they will ask for 170 swindle them down. Also when or if you do use them and you go to drop off..they may ask you to go and park the van back in their lot..please do not do this..just say you are dropping off here don't want to be split up from family..I just thought that was ridiculous when they asked my hubby to do that..I said no you can put the van up and they did. Make sure yu have map some locals gave wrong directions and plus the map the ship gave ya wasnt any good.

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Legend November 19 2004

Cyt!!! Did Rich swindle them down from $170 to $169.70!!!! Wow! LOL! I think getting lost was one of the best parts of the trip icon_smile.gif Did you know the kids in the back were stuffing fruit loops up there noses??? icon_smile.gif love, Juliah

Julie & Cyt, Glad you guys had a great time, Can you get off at St. Thomas with the people who have the early shore tours through Carnival even though you have your own private tour? We have to find a way to get off as early as possible, any suggestions? Thank you.

Carnival Pride 8/17/02 (Western Caribbean)

Carnival Glory 8/21/2004 (Eastern Caribbean) 30th Anniversary Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500CQclass.gif

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Ken they will only take those taking tours or other excursions with tickets for them. We tried it didn't work!

But we got off between 1030 and 11am and you don't have to be back on until late so there is enough time on that Island.

Julia It was 170 before taxes hehehehe!! He got to 160.00 then taxes.

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Legend November 19 2004

Oh My gosh...Fruit Loops up their noses..where did they get those from????? EEEWWWWWW!! They sure did like those bumps didnt they hehehe!! Yeah the getting lost was something in its own...your hubby told me if were we married we would have been divorced ..hehehe!! But what was so funny I was right..hehehe!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Legend November 19 2004

Cyt, Sorry to bother you again, we were told to be at these piers for a daysailing as close to 10:30 a.m. as possible which is about a 20 minute cab ride away. Is it possible to sneak inline with the others?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500CQclass.gif

<center>

time98.gif</center>

Ken, I printed out an email that Godfrey sent...asking us to meet him at 10:30. We got off when they called for people with tours before 11:00. They never even looked at my email copy.

Cyt....my Alexander brought the fruit loops...lol. They were actually pretending they had nose rings using the froot loops.

I had to pee SO bad and those bumps nearly exploded my bladder...LOL.

Trust me, you wouldn't WANT to be married to Mike...just kidding. Love, Juliah

Julie-

Outstanding review!! Just made my final payment today and cannot wait to be on the Glory icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle

Carnival Glory 8/21/04

Carnival Fascination 9/02

Carnival Imagination 6/01

Majesty of the Seas 12/00

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Glory - August 21, 2004 - Here we come!!

Hi again Michelle, I also sent in my final payment to my TA on Friday. I still think we are going to have the ship to ourselves, no one has added their names to the roll call.

<center>

time98.gif</center>

Hey Ken I would try itsince you have an excursion lined up they should let you go on thru as they did Julia amd them..I know we went down before Julia dd and we got turned away because we didn't have an excursion lined up thru anyone nor did we have the tickets they said you had to have..I would go when they called the tour ppl definitely if you have a set time to be somewhere.

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Legend November 19 2004

Heck no me and him would bump heads when it came to football season..lol!!!! You had full bladder and I was thirsty..all that hollaring back and forth with them no map driving men..hehehe!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Legend November 19 2004

Hi Cyt. I read your review on another post. How much was the shuttle from the Ron Jon resort to the port? Also, about how far it it, in case we want to do a cab. Thanks a lot.

Joanne icon_smile.gif

11/27 Carnival Glory Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Glory 11/03

Sovereign of the Seas 5/01

Paradise 10/00

The Big Red Boat 5/98

Emerald Seas 3/90

Alright Juliah67..I am sooo glad you "all" got on the ship that is fantastic.

okay so you had a great time it seems (hard not to huh?)

So when is the next one?.LOL

<font SIZE="1">Click here for my Cruise Pics</font>

<font SIZE="1">***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***</font>

royalsmallwide.gif

saintsinners.gif

Miracle.gif

hounds3.gif

valorvampires.gif

<font SIZE="1">Opinions expressed by the poster are not necessarily the opinions of Cruise Critic or the Independent Traveler.

They might not even be the opinion of the poster, being he may be out of his mind at the time</font>

Atom.gif

Archived