Irons On Board

Does Royal Caribbean Not Allow Travel Irons On Board Anymore? I Had 1 In Feb 04 And It Did Not Seem To Be A Problem, It Is A Small Travel Iron(black & Decker Iron/steamer) Please Help, I Am A Nut About Wearing Wrinkled Clothing

I pulled the following directly from the RCCL web site:

"There are no irons or boards in the staterooms and guests cannot bring their own irons on board for safety reasons. There is full laundry service on board."

The onboard laundry service does a good job of pressing the items that arrive wrinkled--the rate for "press only" is 50% of the posted laundered prices, which is very reasonable, IMO. They return it by the next day, or if you need same day service, they will do that as well for a reasonable surcharge.

Many people also take Downey Wrinkle Release. We tried it for the first time in August, and it's not bad, especially for t-shirts and similar items.

Happy cruising! :)

According to someone from a recent posting about irons and coffee makers, on page 2 of the cruise documents it states:

WHAT NOT TO PACK: For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard:

• Electric Transformers
  • Irons
  • Coffee Makers
  • Candles
  • Illegal Drugs
  • Flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks

I just bought a steamer for $40 from Overstock.com. I'm assuming that will be allowed as there's no "hot" area. I returned one (Rowenta) to Target because upon looking at it, it had a section you could use as an iron & I wanted just a steamer. It's fairly lightweight, will be taking it on the Freedom in 3 1/2 weeks.

Thanks For The Info, I Did Check The Web Site And It Only Says They Do Not Provide Irons

If you are going to cite their website, you might at least include the reason that they give: "they constitute a fire hazard". Of course only the ones that they might provide would fit that description and not the one you might bring onboard. :rolleyes:

Listen guys and gals. The bottom line is this. Irons in and of themselves aren't too much of a fire hazard, but they can be. Generally ships have stricter fire guidelines than anywhere else because fire is the LAST thing you want on a ship when out at sea. Same thing applies to coffee makers. I spent many years at sea in the military and am very familiar with this. It's really not worth bickering about.

For our new -- and not so new -- members, please do a forum search before posting a question. You'll often find that any topic you could possibly think of has been covered (sometimes ad nauseum) on these boards. Since a thread on this topic was just closed today, I'm sure the OP will use one of the links provided to review that discussion.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Archived