Isle of Pines

buxton007

Hi buxton007,

We've been to Isle of Pines a couple of times. The ship doesn't dock at Isle of Pines so you will transfer by tender to the island. It's just a short walk to the beach. The beach has the most beautiful fine sand on earth. Usually a P & O photographer will take photos here. The classic waiter in a black suit holding a tray with a bottle of wine and glasses walking out in the water. :cool:

However, the best snorkelling is on the other side of the island, to the left of "The Rock" Some days it is better than others but last time we were here it was like swimming in an Aquarium and that was only a few metres from the shore. Dont forget to wear lots of sunscreen when you are snorkelling.

Also last time we were the locals would take you around in their vans for a tour of part of the island for about $10. The price may have increased slightly since. P & O dont offer any turns here.

It's a lovely place but just a word of warning. Even though isle of Pines is Paradise belongings have been taken from the beach so keep an eye on your things:mad:

Apart from that Enjoy:)

Cheers

CRUISING ALONG

We always take the opportunity while at Isle of Pines to stretch our legs and go for a walk up to the old convict prison ruins. It's a gentle walk and is an interesting look (expecially to see how it changes over the years. Just remember to take water, sunscreen & a shady hat with you.

We usually take about an hour for a gentle wander there & back. You could probably do it much quicker if you want, but hey we're on holiday and it is usually hot!! You just head down as if you are going to the beach and keep going along the road.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

We always take the opportunity while at Isle of Pines to stretch our legs and go for a walk up to the old convict prison ruins. It's a gentle walk and is an interesting look (expecially to see how it changes over the years. Just remember to take water, sunscreen & a shady hat with you.

We usually take about an hour for a gentle wander there & back. You could probably do it much quicker if you want, but hey we're on holiday and it is usually hot!! You just head down as if you are going to the beach and keep going along the road.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a beautiful island to swim and snorkel. I have never felt such fine sand before.

Beaware that the island has a lot of small snakes that are very venomous. You will be snorkelling and one will swim past you, or walking along the beach. I still have images of my best friend swimming like an olympic champion past me, I didn't have a clue what had frightened her but took off at a pace with her. Here I was thinking shark and it ended up being a snake.

I also have great memories of the locals selling fruit baskets and I have never tasted such sweet pineapples. My stepson still talks about the yummy bananna pancakes they were selling.

So basically just plan to spend the day relaxing, swimming and perhaps reading a book. Take plenty of photo's also.

I am so sorry I didn't mean to scare you (even though they scared the crap out of us:eek: ).

They are venemous but apparently can't get their mouths open wide enough to bite us. Or so I have been told.

They are black with bright red stripes on them and around 1 metre long. If you don't harm them, they wont harm you.

I am so sorry I didn't mean to scare you (even though they scared the crap out of us:eek: ).

They are venemous but apparently can't get their mouths open wide enough to bite us. Or so I have been told.

They are black with bright red stripes on them and around 1 metre long. If you don't harm them, they wont harm you.

Hi cruisers, I don't wish to frighten you anymore about sea snakes, but they CAN bite between the webbing of your fingers..... if you would be so unlucky.......... according to the tourist bureau.

I haven't seen any on the Isle of pines, but plenty on Amadee.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

When we were at Isle of Pines I was very impressed with the canopy of trees down near the sacred Rock. Never even thought about snakes, mmmm, will be careful next time. By the way, you aren't supposed to touch the Rock but you can get near enough to see the little 'offerings' they leave there. Flowers etc. Best snorkelling. We also went to the old 'fort?' to the right I think of where we got off the tender and discovered an Aussie couple who live there and she sells different 'bits and pieces'. It was good to have their perspective of the island too. There is also a little food shop that sells cold drinks and I think thats where you can get the banana pancakes. There are a few tables and chairs there. It's also where most people were lining up to catch a tour bus. Also the little 2 person trike thingies were very popular, must get one next time. I did a bus tour for $10 which was ok but not really a 'must do' thing. Happy cruising!!!

When we were at Isle of Pines I was very impressed with the canopy of trees down near the sacred Rock. Never even thought about snakes, mmmm, will be careful next time.

The snakes refered to are water snakes, not land ones, I believe.

The snakes in Vanuatu are not poisonous and there are two types - small burrowing snakes and larger boas (pythons). Most ni-Vanuatu people are scared of snakes. On Santo, Erromango and Ambae custom says that the souls of ancestors live in snakes. On Tanna, custom says that evil is embodied in the snake. While they aren’t poisonous, they can give you a nasty nip if they’re angry so still best to look and not touch unless you are offered a docile, well-fed one in the botanical gardens.

Sea Snakes or Banded Sea Kraits, although highly venomous are very docile and if encountered in the water will swim past you without interest as long as you leave them be. A recent investigation into theire feeding habits found that they did not even try to bite when they were captured. Their favourite prey is Moray eels.

So basically remember leave snakes alone, but in Vanuatu I certainly would not fear them.

The snakes refered to are water snakes, not land ones, I believe.

Hi Skyrules,

there are approx 12 varieties of sea snakes in New Caledonia, most of them come out of the water onto land to warm up.

The black and beige striped sea snake is very dangerous with no antidote available.

but because they are non aggressive, if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone.

It is better to think about the beautiful fish, turtles ,dugong, corals etc that you could see.

To all cruisers going there for the first time......

The waters of New Caledonia are truly lovely. ......Lifou, Isle of Pines and my favourite Ouvea. have the most clear aquamarine colour and you can see so much.(that is on a clear day of course)

regarding trips in Noumea, I love the Petite train .. value for money..

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Archived