Just back from the Rhapsody (July 4th week) Any questions?

D.

Welcome back! How was your cruise? Hope you had a wonderful time! :D I have a few questions for you. Which cabin did you have and did you like it? Did you enjoy the ports and what did you do in each one? And the BIG question...How was the food? ;) I read lots of different answers on that one, so what's your opinion?

I can't even begin to explain how EXCITED we are about our cruise on the Rhapsody this December! :D I KNOW it'll be worth all the waiting but I still LOVE to hear from people who have been there...:D I just can't get enough info!!!:D

We are going on Rhapsody of the Seas December 5, 2004. We have cruised twice on the Disney Magic. Just wondering how different this one is from Disney?

Are the pools salt water or fresh water?

I hear the pizza is pretty bad. Is that so?

Will the beds be "put together" for you if they know you are a husband and wife checking in or do you have to move them yourself?

What is the average cost of beers and frozen drinks on the ship?

What is the spa like? I don't hear people raving about the spa on Rhapsody like they do on Disney? Maybe just marketing?

I think that's all I can think of for now. If I think of more...I will get back with you.

Thanks for being available and helping out!

Heidi Nokes

Disney Magic 9/2000

Disney Magic 9/2002

Can you report on the performers on your trip? Who were they? Any good? We're cruising on the Aug 29th sailing, and my pregnant wifey won't be able to do much of the vigorous stuff we usually do when cruising... so details on shipboard entertainment would help a lot...

Chris L

Austin, Texas

Hi everybody! WOW lots of questions. Let me try to answer them all:

trvlhores:

my boyfriend and I only booked a cruise in Grand Cayman. I did some research on it, and we ended up booking an excursion NOT through RCI. Found something different and felt it would give us a better deal for less! We booked a 3 1/2 hour snorkeling trip through Captain Marvins (http://www.captainmarvins.com) - and it was a great experience! The boat wasn't too packed with too many people, so that was good. They provided us with water and fruit punch, which was fine. We got to go to three different places to snorkel, the third one being the stingray sandbar, where you get to swim with them, which is a one in a life-time experience and an absolut MUST! I loved it! We paid $39 per person and even got some free rum cake as we got pack to the shop + 10% off their merchandise! Really good deal and we had a blast!

FORMAL NIGHT: My boyfriend rented a tux - was a little more convenient and he didn't have do pack a suit! (Will be delivered to your room) First formal night I wore a long very formal dress. Second one - a really pretty shorter black dress.

For men, suit would also be fine. You'll see anything from really dressed up, to not as dressy - more summer dress like. But if you love to dress up, go for it! We just loved it- the whole atmosphere etc. + you'll also get some great pictures.

Hope that helped a bit. Have a great time on your cruise!

Honkes:

-the pool is salt water! But I didn;t tihnk it was bad at all.

-the pizza is pretty good, but I didn't have a lot of it, as I think there is other better food!

-when I booked the cruise I was asked whether I wanted the beds in our room to be put together, and I requested it! Our beds were put together! So if you already booked you cruise and didn't have the option to request the beds being put together, you might want to call RCI and ask for it! Now, if for any reason the beds aren't togther as you get there, I'm sure your stateroom attendant will do it for you!

- Average cost of beer 3.50 - 4.00 dollars and frozen drinks around 5.50 sometimes if you want to keep the souvenir glass around 8.50! But most of the drinks are really yummi!

-The spa I can't say much about since I didn't schedule anything! Just think it's rediculous to pay over $100 for a message when I can get one at home for under $50. I'm more of a fitness person, so I took two cycling classes, which were $10 a class!!! Oh well, I juts can't live without it! BUT what is free and I really enjoyed it after my workouts are the steam room and the sauna, which are in the locker rooms! So nice!

I had been on the Carneval Elation before and had the impression that this spa + fitness facility was a little nicer!

Hope that answered your questions :)

Just a note: I tihnk the timers on these message boards are way off!

I'm really getting tired - so I'll be back on tomorrow to answer all the other questions!

Till then :)

Thanks for answering questions!

Did the menu have light offerings clearly labeled with calorie content, etc.?

Is lemonade complimentary and offered throughout the day? I know other lines have discontinued that, and I read on these boards that it is an included beverage.

Thanks!

Hi D., welcome back.

What was the security like at the terminal in Galveston getting on the ship? I ask because the government was suppose to increase security at the ports just before you left on your cruise. Will we have to wait 2 hours to clear through security, just like at the airports? Is DJ Johnny (aahhhhh shagga baby) still on the ship? Is the Cruise Director Gustav "Goose" Neumann still on board?

Who was performing in the Broadway Melodies Theatre this past week? I know LaRaf was there and they are incredible. Any comedians and/or musicians? How was the weather coming back to Galveston from Cozumel, was it rough?

Fausto

Hello everybody - back in El Paso now :(

Alright here are some notes on the nightly entertainment:

1. Night - welcome show - comedian, who also did the late-night adult comedy show on thursday night!

2. Night - 1. Formal Night - Rhapsody Dancer's Broadway Show! Really was impressed! + late night 70s theme night in the viking crown lounge (dance club).

3. Night - The Magic and Comedy of Fielding West + outdoor pool Caribbean night party. (Also a good show)

4. Night - Improvisational music and comedy of John Joseph and Johnny B. - really awesome show! + counrty and western dance party in the shall we dance lounge.

5. Night - 2. Formal night - Rhapsody Dancer's Show (also really good) + the newlyweds game show (really funny) + late night adult comedy.

6. Night - didn't go to the main show, but I think they had some Beatles group?

+ The Quest, later on in the shall we dance lounge, which is a game everybody can participate, and it's lots of fun! + 50s and 60s theme dance night...

7. Night - Farewell showtime - + the Dancers again...+ Battle of the Sexes Game Show in the shall we dance lounge + pajama party in the dance club.

Overall, I found the entertainment to be very good and much better than the Carnival Elation I had been on before.

Fausto:

Yes Gooze in still on the ship - he's really cool! Don't remember the DJ's name

Weather:

We had great weather all week long till Cozumel, which was cloudy and even some rain. Also the last day at sea was more cloudy, too bad because I really wanted to get some more tanning and sun in on the last day! But overall it was great.

The security at the terminal in Galveston wasn't bad at all. We got to the terminal about 2 - 2.30pm and had a very smooth embarkation - no waiting - nothing! Also our luggage arrived at our room before 5pm, if I remember correctly!

D

It sucks being back in the desert after a week in the Caribbean huh? I know because I also am in El Paso.

I just booked the Rhapsody for 2/13/05. Haven't told my husband yet, but he'll get over it. We sailed on the Rhapsody in Feb 03 and had a great week.

Glad you had a good time.

Karen

Rhonda,

we were in an inside cabin on deck 8. I really liked the location, and didn't mind the inside cabin at all! Don't spend much time in there anyways! We had one cabin attendant - a really really nice lady! She was so cute!

Hey Karen,

glad to see somebody from El Paso on these boards! Where about do you live in El Paso, if you don't me asking?! Are you a member at EP Fitness? Because I'm an instructor there, so maybe I'll meet you at one of the locations sometime?

Yea, it definitely sucks being back! But, you know what - this is how I feel every time I'm out of town! I've lived in El Paso for 6 years now, and I'm getting so sick of this little narrow minded world everybody lives in here! I'm ready for a change! Even though I love the weather the mountains etc. - But wouldn't mind moving to like Phoenix, more of a major city, with more variety!

Can't wait to book a cruise again, they're so much fun! Well, I'll give you a chance to write back a few lines, before I'll ask some more questions on your cruising experience. See ya...

Doreen

Doreen,

I live on the west side. Have never been to EP Fitness, but I worked out with Raphael from the Y for a while. My husband and I are training to run the NY Marathon in November, so I have spent more time running than weight training. I need to start working on my upper body strength though to help get me through the 26 miles. I was born and raised here, but I know exactly what you mean. El Paso is a very large "small town" and politically speaking, it looks as though we are going to stay that way. I would like to move to Dallas, have bro and sis there, but my job is very client driven and I am not real interested in starting over.

We were on the Mariner in May and that was our sixth cruise. I got hooked after the first one.

We really, really, really want to do the Med from Barcelona, but maybe in June of 06. My kids (22 and 25) really, really, really want to do that one so it will take some saving.

Chat with you later

Karen

How awesome you training for the NY marathon.

I'm actually a runner too! My boyfriend and I did two half-marathons this year. And I was orignially planning on doing the Chicago marathon, but am now more focusing on Tuscon at the beginning of Dec.

Cool, your kids are 22 and 25! I'm 22 (almost 23). What do your kids do? Can't blame them for wanting to go on the cruise going out of Barcelona. I'm originally from Germany...

Well, so how was your experience on the Mariner? This is one of the bigger ones, right with like 15 levels? Wow, we saw that one in Grand Cayman, and Cozumel as it docked right next to us! And their pool deck was about 5 levels above ours, so all the people could just look down to us! But the Rhapsody is a nice ship too, I think! I have been on the Carnival Elation and think that overall RCI is much nicer/better!

Till later,

Doreen

Archived