Best way to pack wine??

dosi

I am bringing some wine from CA to FL for our cruise in Oct. I am trying to figure out the best way to transport it. I will be bringing at least four bottles. I can carry it on the plane but dang that is going to be heavy :confused: , I can pack it in my luggage but one broken bottle is really going to cause problems :rolleyes: or I can mail it to the hotel ahead of time and hope it is there when I arrive. Or I can drink it all before I leave and just tell my friends how good it was!! :D

Any suggestions oh wise folks of CC??

I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap then pack them each in a 2-1/2 gal. zip lock bag then put all the bottles in a dry bag which will protect the other articles in the suitcase just in case that American Tourister Gorilla shows up!

If you live anywhere near a winery ask them for a styrofoam shipping container. I have two of them. Each holds two bottles of wine... I put the bottles in the container and put the container in a ziplock plastic bog..

This is wine from the vineyard that is directly across the canyon from my home...Boeger Vineyards. I am bringing some to share with everyone....you included :) !!! I might be able to buy it in FL and it actually crossed my mind to do so but I would hate to get there and find out they only carry Gallo.

I buy the boxed wine. I know what you are thinking. It's actually pretty

good. I like the white zin. It lasts all week. I like to have a glass or 2 before

dinner.

In addition, I always bring on good bottle of champagne that I carry on. I wrap it in those frozen ice cube wraps and then bubble paper. It keeps it cold till we get on board.

You can get some pretty good wines in a box now not just the mass producers. There are some very good new york state and australian wines being sold in 3 liter boxes now. Boxes don't break!

This is wine from the vineyard that is directly across the canyon from my home...Boeger Vineyards. I am bringing some to share with everyone....you included :) !!! I might be able to buy it in FL and it actually crossed my mind to do so but I would hate to get there and find out they only carry Gallo.

Cool!

In the past we've had great luck bringing wine from home and making it through baggage handling by airlines and cruise line porters by wrapping it in bubble wrap and packing it in the center of our checked luggage. We have a little winery a few hours drive from our home that used to ship it to us when we couldn't make it down there and did the same thing.

Don't forget to check the allowable carry-on weight for the airline you'll be flying and then weigh your carry-on bags after you pack them. We've encountered both, the weigh-in of the carry-on and the TSA sending people back to the terminal based on the number of bags they allow you to bring on the plane yourself. Quite a few folks in San Juan got turned back by TSA agents for trying to bring along liquor plus their carry-on.

Pat

in their baggage allowances. We can each have 3 checked bags not to exceed 70 lbs each and one carry-on of the usual size but with no weight restrictions. Addtionally they limit each passanger to a maximum of 5 liters of liquor. Since it will be me, DH and DS I am not too worried about exceeding our total 610 lb luggage limit nor our 15 liter alcohol limit :D !!

The 3 Litre boxes of wine fit perfectly in the small fridge. Got to have a little wine on the balcony. :rolleyes: steve:rolleyes:

I do the same. I also take the "bladder" out of the box and it makes more room in the mini fridge for cheeses and other small things.

Janelle

I usually take about 15 bottles of wine. I wrap each bottle in sheets of styrofoam (we use it in our business). I tape the sheet to the bottle them wrap it so it doesn't slip out. I use 2 big zipped deflatable bag. I put syrofoam on the bottom then I stagger the bottles when I pack them. Neck one way, bottom the other. This helps save room. The bag is heavy, but we don't have to carry it far. We leave the bag in the car at the hotel, then when we're ready to board the shuttle, we transfer it. Then when we get to the ship, we give it to the porter to load onto the ship. The wine always arrives safely to our room. We also use the deflatable bags for our dirty laundry and souvenirs. We share our wine at dinner, and at the end of the cruise if we have wine left, we give a bottle to the table behind us.

I went diving on my last cruise and brought along 2 wetsuits and a diveskin. I just wrapped the wine and other liquor bottles in the wetsuits pack them in the suit case and they got home un broken. Another use for wetsuits when you are not diving.

Archived