Mariner of the Seas review Good & Bad

Just (August 1) returned from a family cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. We had three Jr. Suites on deck 9, 9564, 9570, and 9572. The group consisted of 4 children ages 4, 7, 7, and 10.

For reasons I won’t go into 5 of us including 2 kids took the Auto Train from Lorton VA to Sanford FL The pier is only about 1 ¼ hours from the train station but because the train was 5-hours late we had very little time to spare. Arriving at the pier by car was a first for me and turned out to be a pleasant experience. They have it well organized with a section for drop off with porters waiting to take your luggage and then a large multi story parking lot across the street. The cost to park was $10.00 a day which I thought to be very reasonable especially when they only charged me for 7-days. Many parking tots will charge you 8-days when going Sunday to Sunday.

Being on three other Voyager class ships (Voyager, Navigator and Explorer) I was not taken back by the beauty of the Centrum or the Royal Promenade. Although I did find the promenade to be much more like the Voyager which I liked the best.

Let me first tell you about the cabins, excellent, great, and fabulous. That says it all in a word or three. With a large walk-in closet and numerous drawer and other storage places we did not bring enough to fill them. There was much more storage space than most people need. The size of the cabins was bigger than many hotels that I have stayed at. The size of the bathroom with a tub was as very big with excellent water pressure for the shower. Although the square footage for this category cabin is the same as the other Voyager class ship it was laid out different allowing for much more usable space.

Our cabin stewardess, Rosalinda was one of the best. Soon as we arrived she asked if we got our luggage which of course was negative. She said she would get it for us and did just that. She apparently went to wherever they had our luggage and got it all to us within an hour and half of arriving on the ship. She was also very good with the kids, especially the 4 year old. Leaving them extra chocolates at night and always joking with them. The 4 and 7 year old girls (sisters) still take about her and the waitress.

The entertainment was fair at best as expressed by many other passengers on the ship, including myself. The two production shows consisted of music from the eighties but even two of daughters who grew up then did not recognize many of the song. The selection of music was not very good nor was the production or presentation. They had three comedians on the ship. The comedian on the first night had an accent making it difficult for many to understand. He also presented the adult show which I missed and heard nothing from anyone else on the ship. The next two comedians were over all bad. I would say that 1/3 did not enjoy either one, 1/3 enjoyed one but not the other while 1/3 liked the other but not the one. From this number it would appear that 2/3 of the passengers did not like the comedian (one or the other). The Royal Caribbean comics were entertaining but not at all funny. Being on other RCI ships I looked forward to see them with their comical antics, but was very disappointed.

The ice show as always is excellent. Unfortunately they are not scheduled well and because of limited space many miss seeing it. Try not to miss it is one of the highlights in entertainment aboard a ship.

The restaurant is three decks high but always seemed to be no more than 75% filled. As I found on the other Voyager class ship a large percentage use alternate dining facilities, i.e. Windjammer, Potofino’s, Chops, Johnny Rockets, or the Café on the promenade. Royal Caribbean changed their menu in looks and style. The food was pretty much the same good quality banquet type food. One of the changes was on Lobster night it is now a combination platter with Lobster tail and garlic shrimps. Our waitress, Kinga was very good. Many nights I was undecided between two items and then settling on one she would bring both without even asking. She was very good with the kids who can become a real pain in the dining as many know. If something they wanted that was not on the menu she went into the kitchen and got it for them. We spend a lot of time grabbing calories at the café on the promenade. The backed good were better their, than in the dining room (not that they were bad in the dining room). As you can image the kids went through lots and lots of cookies and ice cream.

As a past cruiser and member of the Crown & Anchor society we were given a free pass for Johnny Rockets. We did not use the pass as the lines are too long and we were involved with other things. Spoke to cruise staff about charging at Johnny Rockets, they told me it was their number one complaint. My gut tells me that Royal Caribbean will once again make it free but maybe reservations only to eliminate the long lines

One of the major negatives I have with all the Voyager class ships is the photographers on dress-up nights. They set up their equipment right out side the entrances to the dining room making it not only difficult but dangerous to get into the restaurant. I can already see someone tripping over the wires, screen, or equipment trying to get past them and RCI having a big law suit.

Three of the four kids had a great time in the children’s program, the 4-year old wanted to be with her mother. To get to the 5 plus rooms you had to go through arcade, which is also a negative. Dropping kids off or picking them up the arcade is crowded; noisy the kids can easily be separated and lost in the crowd.

The concierge lounge was located on deck 9 at the same location as on the other Voyager class ships. Being a Diamond member I have experienced about 5 other concierge lounges on the other ships. The concierge on the other ships has been extremely helpful and pleasant. The concierge on this ship could have been better. For example as a concierge lounge member we are able to get VIP tickets to the ice show. These tickets allow you to go at any performance and not a particular one. The concierge did not have these tickets but regular scheduled tickets. And even though the adults were diamond members and able to get these tickets she would not give us any for the kids. That meant we had to go to the ice show ticket desk and get them ourselves. Concierge was no help. Later in the cruise I met the Loyalty Club representative and told her about this, she immediately told me that she (concierge) was wrong. VIP tickets were available and that she should have given us enough for the whole family. This was only one of several items that the concierge did that was wrong, but I won’t bore you with them. By the way she was not new to the job which I thought at first.

.The elevators on this ship were horrible. They seemed not to be programmed correctly. Usually a bank of elevators will have one or more going up while some going down, etc. These elevators were all going in the same direction and usually on the same two or three floors. They also stopped on floors where no one was their and no buttons pressed. I know this happens sometimes but these elevators did it consistently. Several passengers said they saw some teenagers doing this, running up and down the stairs pressing elevator buttons. This brings up another problem, the number of teenagers running uncontrolled around the ship. I got on one elevator where a bunch of teenagers were drinking alcohol drinks. Other passengers reported seeing teenagers around the ship drunk. This was reported to the purser’s desk but they said there is nothing they could do. The parents or older friends were purchasing it for them. The comedian one night even mentioned about the parents not watching their kids and letting them go unsupervised. “Their on a ship where can they go” “Hello ocean” was his response.

The stability of the ship was suburb. We had rain, thunder and lightening one night, sailed through slightly rough water and the ship hardly rocked. Not one person that I know of even felt the slightest sick from movement. It was smooth sailing all the way.

Mot of the ship such as the Windjammer, pool area, spa, etc. is the same on all Voyager class ships so I did review them as they have been addressed before

Thanks for the review. My family will sail on the Mariner in January, and I am glad that overall your comments were very positive. The elevator problem concerns me in that my son uses a wheelchair, and of course has no choice but to use the elevators.

Can you say a little more about the concierge....We have a suite in May and my sister is in the room next door to us (not a suite)....do you think that the concierge is going to give us a hard time....we are travelling together but we made separate reservations.

Thanks

Carol;)

If your not in a suite or a Diamond member don't expect the concierge to allow you to bring your family. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen at times but they do have a list of everyone entitled to this service.

twelveohone Who was the concierge? We had a lovely woman and had no issues whatsoever with her. We got our ice tickets and she assisted us with a few other things during the trip.

Boy sure sounds like you cut that train pretty close. Glad to hear you made it. Isn't driving into Port Canaveral wonderful? We loved it and would take it over FLL and Miami anytime.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Do have a question about the kids club activities for the 10 yo.

Did they like them?

Did they have nights that they "fed" them for you so you could do alternative dining?

What's in the "Adventure Ocean"? Does one of the pools have a fancy slide?

Do you have the "Kids Compass" activity sheet? Could you post some of the details?

I know it's almost a year till we cruise ourselves, but I'm a compulsive planner! :eek:

Thanks for the info!

Jacquelyn

Do have a question about the kids club activities for the 10 yo.

Did they like them?

Did they have nights that they "fed" them for you so you could do alternative dining?

What's in the "Adventure Ocean"? Does one of the pools have a fancy slide?

Do you have the "Kids Compass" activity sheet? Could you post some of the details?

I know it's almost a year till we cruise ourselves, but I'm a compulsive planner! :eek:

Thanks for the info!

Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn, My 11 year old (boy) had a great time! Here are some answers:

Yes, most really seemed to like the activities. My son especially liked the "GAGA-ball" tournaments that were held every night (at 11:00 PM!!!!!!) There were different theme for each day. They can come and go as they please - if you register them that way - or you can sign them in and out, if that makes you more comfortable

There was at least one dinner with the group (the 9-11's had it at Johnny Rockets - I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday). I think there was also a lunch option or another dinner option, but I can't really remember.

"Adventure Ocean" I think is just the term for all the kids programs. I don't think it's an actual thing/place (I could be wrong). No, the pool doesn't have a slide.

I think that we may have a kids compass or two, I'll dig around and see what I can find. If I can find them, I'll post again and we can arrange for me to email it to you.

Hope this helps!

OK here is the answers to all the question (I think)

KEN

The elevators were a tough sistuation but not impossible. I am sure that much of the problem had to do with teenagers pressing buttons and screwing up the system. There were several wheelchairs and scooters aboard, all they did was either wait a little longer for the elevator or take an empty one going the opposite direction which is what many of us did. My gut tells me that it won't be a problem when you go

CRIEGER

Can't recall the name of the concierge but she did use her list of qualified. I know that only high suites and diamond members are permitted but most concierge's look the other way if its only a few. This one was tough and incorrect in her procedures. Spoke to Loyality Awards person who I think will straighten her out a little.

RM

The AutoTrain made me lose my hair and turned what was left white. According to Amtrak reservations and the conductor they are on time 95% of the time. According to other passengers it is late very often. Drive to Port Canaveral is a snap at 70 mile an hour speed limit, I was going more like 80. The pier is great for drivers, well organized with lots of close by, reasonable parking. This particular port for drivers is much much better than Miami. Never drove to port of Miami but have seen it many times.

JACQUELYNII

Kids programs are excellent. My 10 year old grandson was in the program all day long until late a night. After 10:00pm they charge about $5.00 per hour (babysitting). My 7 year old granddaughter does nothing but talk about the fun she had in the program. On formal night they will take the kids to Johnny Rockets for dinner with your permittion. This keeps them out of your hair while getting dressed and the kids prefer it over the formal night dinner. Adventure Ocean is the kids program.

They no longer have a kids pool seperate from the main pool. They told me that at the kids pool (on other ships) requires the parents to watch them or act as a lifeguard. Parents did not want to do this, putting kids and cruise line at risk. Also they said that most kids (except for very young) went into the adult pool leaving the kids pool rarely used. The main pool has a netted off section for kids water depth about 1 foot or less.

Someone asked about formal nights. Ships leave port on Sunday, first formal night is Monday. Last formal night was Friday.

Just to give you a feel about me I have been on 25 plus cruises with about 15 or more on RCI. This cruise was my 4th different Voyager class ship. I only bring this up so you can get a little feel a to where I am coming from in my review and remarks.

We were on this cruise as well.

One thing I would like to address is the kids. Yes they were on the ship. It was August so it was expected however, I have a different view of them. Both my wife and I agreed that the kids on this sailing were the best mannered and acting of any cruise we have been on and we have been on 6, all with RCI, and with the exception of one of them, they have all been the first week of August.

Elevators, we had no problem with them. Again we noted that, with the exception of the last night, we had yet to get on an elevator that had all the buttons pushed to stop at each deck.

I agree with the review of the shows with the exception of the last comic. We all enjoyed him very much. The second night show that had the singer, cannot remember his name, we felt was the best. He was very good and we felt put on a great show. The production shows were just average at best.

Main dining room, we were on deck 4 and our level was better than 90% full every night with the exception of Wednesday when the Jerk Chicken was the main course. As far as the quality of food we all felt as if it was just average and we usually rave about the food on the ship. I was disapointed about that but food taste is so subjective that I really don't want to go there in detail.

Overall we really enjoyed the cruise, beautiful ship, but I think they need help with most of the shows and food quality.

Tim

As far as the elevators go, here is my opinion on why they seem to stop at every floor. Not because of ill-mannered kids pushing buttons - But because they take so long! I know on many occasions we would plan to use the elevator, go to the banks & push the button, wait awhile, then say, "Oh, forget it - let's just take the stairs, it'll be quicker", leaving nobody in the elevator banks to get on the next one that (eventually) comes.

JMHO.

Tim,

Not sure we were on the same ship but we were onthe ship last week of July. The singer you are referring to was presented as an impressionist

As far as the kids, if you are talking about the young ones, under 14 I would agree with you. It was the teenagers taht were a problem. Spoke to the purser about the problem with them drinking and some even drunk. She told me that several people had already told her and security was told to look out for them.

Elevators were another problem that purser was aware of but could nothing about. The buttons on teh elevator were not pushed, the teenagers would walk up and down the stairs pushing up and down button on each floor. Several people saw them doing.

You might be right on the date, we left Port Canaveral Aug 1st. The impressionist was presented to us as singer impressionist. He was very good. My wife and I could have listened to him all night.

Sorry you had so much trouble with the kids on your cruise. Ours had several 12-16 yr olds running around but for the most part they were well behaved and caused little or no problems.

I am not saying you are wrong with your review, just stating a different opinion possibly comming from a different part of the ship where we hung out the most.

Tim

We were on the Mariner last December - I think we were on the 3rd or 4th cruise. The female concierge that we had was great. We got tickets for whatever we needed. The entertainment wasn't up to usual standards on this cruise - but I've heard that that is sometimes the case on a new cruise. The elevators were bad - I agree. I do remember waiting a long time. There are a lot of wheelchairs and scooters on the Mariner because this is one of the most disabled friendly cruiseships afloat. I just think that it is appalling when an able bodied person steps onto an elevator before a person who is bound to a wheelchair or a scooter. (Okay, I know you don't have to be wheelchair bound to be disabled - knee problems, hip problems, etc. - but you know the ones I mean.) We didn't have a problem at Johnny Rockets - but then again we didn't go at 11, 12, or 1. Plus while in port you can get into Johnny Rockets a lot easier than on sea days.

In short, we love the megaships of Royal Caribbean and will cruise them whenever we can! Love that ice show!

• 2 years later...

Archived