Oceania vs Azamara

phlewt

Just returned home from the Jan 28 Panama Canal cruise on Oceania. We were very happy with just about everything. Got a couple of photos of the Azamara Quest and Oceania Regatta together, and thought you might enjoy seeing them.

First, in Acapulco:

dex31-vi.jpg

Then in Puntarenas, Costa Rica:

dex60-vi.jpg

I cannot tell the difference between the two ships in your pictures, which is which -- afterall they started as identical sisters, and are still painted the same colour. Do you know the difference in fares between the two ships? I am curious.

Also, in Acapulco, when you docked, was there an air conditioned (albeit not large) terminal building right by the ship which contained a couple of dozen shops? There should be a tourist counter in the middle with an attendant who could arrange a taxi tour for you, at $25 per hour, minimum two hours.

At Costa Rica, the pier is actually a long strip, perhaps a quarter mile long, leading to a gate, outside which is a market area, where there are restaurants open on one side and a number of souvenir shops as well as stalls. There should be a trolly or a van to take you between the ship and the gate (is this also true in your case?) Both tourists and locals shop in this market area. Right acorss the street, there is a bank, and a small, perhaps only two-storeyed hotel on the other side. From your picture, it appears that we also docked at the same pier.

These things are fresh in memory because we have just been there oursleves two months ago! I am curious as to what different cruise lines provide. For example, as you have experienced, between Oceania and Azamara, is there any difference in service for their respective passengers? This is a rare opportunity for direct comparison.

By the way, in April, 2004, the Regatta (which we were on) and the Marco Polo docked side by side in the Mediterranean once, and we thought our Regatta was better. Any "impression" in your case? Thank you.

By the way, in April, 2004, the Regatta (which we were on) and the Marco Polo docked side by side in the Mediterranean once, and we thought our Regatta was better. Any "impression" in your case? Thank you.

Of course the Regatta is better than the MP in many ways ...it is a newer ship and bigger. The MP was built in 1964 as the Alexandr Pushkin with ice breaker hull so it may be better in some areas.

Both ships have their following

I cannot tell the difference between the two ships in your pictures, which is which -- afterall they started as identical sisters, and are still painted the same colour. Do you know the difference in fares between the two ships? I am curious.

In the Acupulco photo, Quest is on the left and Regatta is on the right. In the Costa Rica photo, Regatta is on the left and Quest on the right.

Also, in Acapulco, when you docked, was there an air conditioned (albeit not large) terminal building right by the ship which contained a couple of dozen shops? There should be a tourist counter in the middle with an attendant who could arrange a taxi tour for you, at $25 per hour, minimum two hours.

There is a nice terminal building as you describe in Acapulco. We had a private tour arranged in advance, so we didn't look for the tourist counter.

At Costa Rica, the pier is actually a long strip, perhaps a quarter mile long, leading to a gate, outside which is a market area, where there are restaurants open on one side and a number of souvenir shops as well as stalls. There should be a trolly or a van to take you between the ship and the gate (is this also true in your case?) Both tourists and locals shop in this market area. Right acorss the street, there is a bank, and a small, perhaps only two-storeyed hotel on the other side. From your picture, it appears that we also docked at the same pier.

There is a "train" trolly that runs between the beach and the ships. It was a bit quicker for us to walk along the pier.

These things are fresh in memory because we have just been there oursleves two months ago! I am curious as to what different cruise lines provide. For example, as you have experienced, between Oceania and Azamara, is there any difference in service for their respective passengers? This is a rare opportunity for direct comparison.

We were on the Regatta, so I do not know how the Quest compares. Service on Regatta was the best I could imagine. I do believe the Regatta has a much better itinerary. It starts in Los Angeles and the Quest starts in Acapulco. The Regatta stops at Cartagena, Columbia and Grand Cayman Island, and I do not think the Quest goes to either of these wonderful ports.

We were on Marco Polo in 1995. Although it is a similar size to Regatta, the experience is quite different. The Marco Polo has recently been turned over to a European cruise line and I believe will no longer be marketed to the Americans.

phlewt -

I do indeed enjoy both shots of the 'sisters'.

We did two crossings on the Regatta and are leaving on April 12 for our first crossing on the Quest. All cruises in either 6090 or 6091.

Would you have a web site from where I could download them, or would you be willing to send them by email to post4opa@mail.com?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the pictures!

Can you please tell me if all the cabanas were rented for the cruise you were just on through the canal? We are taking the cruise in 2009 and are thinking of renting a cabana and , if we do rent one, when should we do it.

Thank you.

Thank you all for such informative and detailed replies.

I read somewhere that while the R6, R7 and R8 did not have minisuites at the beginning, Celebrity added some back on half of deck 8 when they converted their two ships to Azamara. So they should still be pretty similar. Of course, the two ships have different emblems, but I couldn't distinguish them from the picture, thanks for pointing them out.

I am happy that we all enjoyed our Panama Canal cruises, on one ship or another. We are looking forward to Greek Islands on the Nautica this October! Would it be too late to book flights in say June?

phlewt -

I do indeed enjoy both shots of the 'sisters'.

We did two crossings on the Regatta and are leaving on April 12 for our first crossing on the Quest. All cruises in either 6090 or 6091.

Would you have a web site from where I could download them, or would you be willing to send them by email to post4opa@mail.com?

Thanks in advance.

Juergen,

You should be able to download full resolution files for the photos at http://public.fotki.com/phlewt/travel/panama/. Look forward to hearing how your experience with Quest goes.

alan (phlewt)

Thank you for the pictures!

Can you please tell me if all the cabanas were rented for the cruise you were just on through the canal? We are taking the cruise in 2009 and are thinking of renting a cabana and , if we do rent one, when should we do it.

Thank you.

It was my observation that the cabanas did not get much usage during most of the cruise. Many were rented during the canal transit day, however. If you plan to take photos while in the canal, be advised that the blue color of the windows may be an issue -- here is how one person ended up taking photos:

cabana.jpg

Hope you have as much fun on your canal cruise as we did!

alan (phlewt)

Can you stand at the very front of deck 9 and take pictures of the Panama Canal, or is that space inaccessible to regular passengers? Thank you.

On Oceania the spa is at the front you could book the t-pool then you could take photos from there.

We found taking photos from either side worked out just fine.

i am guessing Aza has the same layout but maybe no cabanas on deck 11

Forward facing windows on decks 9 (spa), 10 (Horizons) and 11 (cabanas) all have the plastic film which will have an effect on photos that you take from these locations. If you just wish to take an occasional forward looking photo, you can go to Horizons (deck 10). There is space on the far left and far right side that will not bother those who are seated at the tables.

Thank you kindly for the replies. I guess the Panama Canal is the one voyage you would want to stand in front of the ship with no glass in front of you to take pictures directly in the free air. On our cruise on the Shadow, in front of the Observation Louge, there is an open balcony (with cover only overhead) on which perhaps a hunderd passengers stood for hours watching and taking pictures. It may be better if Oceania does not have those cabanas and leave that position available to all?!

Alan -

Thank you very much for the link to your pix.

Downloaded both ships.

I can't get worked up about the cabanas. It's just not important out in the middle of the Atlantic. However, when we approach port, I try to turn the TV toward the balcony door, so we could see what was coming up for a live view from our aft balcony. I just realize that will be hard to do with a flat-panel TV mounted on the wall. Oh well.

Jürgen

Archived