Legend back from Bahamas/Florida

ckpan

Just returned from 8/27 Legend 8 night cruise. We were informed after Day 2 that because of Hurricane Frances instead of stopping at San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortola that our ports were changed to Nassau, Freeport and Port Canaveral, Fl. What the shore excursions people had to do to arrange/change shore excursions for everyone in a days time was short of amazing. We had 12 hours in Nassau, 8 hours in Freeport and 12 hours in Port Canaveral. Not the eastern caribbean itinerary we hoped for, but our group made the best of it and had a fantastic time. Snorkeled at the Blue Lagoon excursion in Nassau, stayed on the ship in Freeport and swatted away flies all day by the pool (yuk) and went to Coco Beach in Florida where the kids got to take surfboarding lessons on a beautiful beach. Ship was gorgeous, food was great, our 9A balcony room was very roomy, always able to find a lounge chair by the pool or upstairs with view of the ocean. Any questions??

Glad to hear you are back safe and sound and with the itinerary changes , you were all able to have a wonderful time on your cruise. I will be sailing hopefully on Legend, Sept.28th Cruise. With this very active hurricaine season, one never knows. Sorry you all missed your Eastern Ports of Call but it is always better to be Safe. There is always another Cruise. Thanks for taking the time to update us. Ike

We were also on the Legend 8/27 sailing. We were originally slated for the Miracle on 8/28, but ended up on the legend. We also had a GREAT!! time.Blue Lagoon in Nassau was amazing! We were in room 8206.Balcony was great, especially sitting on at night. Ship is beautiful! We also didn't like the flies in Freeport! Food was good ,too. Had a good time in Port Canaveral,even though we were just there in May on the Glory.

Disappointed in not going to Tortola,HOWEVER, it is better to be safe than sorry!!

Sensation 2002

Triumph 2003

Victory 2003

Glory 2004

Legend 2004

We were also on the 8/27 sailing. The captain and crew did a great job keeping everyone safe and out of harms way. We weren't too happy with the Bahamas, but it was sure better than being in a hurricane. I can't believe that I'm actually happy to be home from a cruise. We talked to many people in Cape Canaveral who were preparing for the hurricane, and they were so nervous, not knowing what to expect. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the people in Florida. We hope everyone stays safe.

We too were on the Legend for this trip. As much as we were diappointed in not going to original ports of call, we had a great time..ship was a lot of fun.

However, getting off the ship and on to the tours in Nassau was horrendous. I know it was short notice and all, but there were no provisions made for the elderly or handicapped and it was Hot as hell. Also, not very organized..we waited quite a long time, in the sun, to get on our tour and then it was just an okay tour.

Marcus did the best he could on short notice organizing all the tours and it was not there usual route, but there were many, many unhappy people.

It will be interesting to see if Carnival does anything for the people on this cruise as we did not get to the original ports and tours were not the best.

Glad to be home.

Why is it that we book cruises during the middle of hurricane season, and when a hurricane forces the cruise lines to change ports for safety reasons, we want the crusie lines to compensate us? I would say, a letter to the crusie line president, thanking him for putting our safety first, would be in order.

I was also on the Legend leaving 8/27. We are very understanding, easy going people and completely understood when the ports had to be changed. But I felt the majority-not all so don't everyone get to upset-but lots of people just moaned and groaned the whole time. We spent part of the day in Pt Canaveral on ship laying out but we had to change our seats multiple times because the piss and moan groups, especially in the pools, were just too much. Seems as if some people couldn't be happy if they tried. We heard one guy saying he thought the captain waited to pick new ports so he could save fuel! Please. I felt as if I were surrounded by the most ungrateful people. I still considered myself lucky to not be at work and in beautiful weather. We then had dinner with friends in Pt Canaveral who took a few hours out of their boarding up and loading up the car time to visit with us. Really put everything in perspective!

Now, we did find people who felt the same as us but just few and far between. I had a great 8 day cruise with great service.

If anyone goes to Freeport soon, definitely do the Peterson kayak/snorkeling tour. It was great! Kayak 3/4 mile to an island then 30-45 snorkeling with a great guide! One of the best tours I've ever taken.

I have to agree... book in peak hurricane season, after the announcement that there will be "more than usual hurricane activity this year", and then complain when a hurricane comes and changes things? I cannot imagine what we would hear if the captain had actually cruised into the hurricane and gone to the original ports putting everyone's lives in danger??? People would be talking about "how dare the captain cruise us into such danger, it rained the entire time, the seas were so rough, etc."... the ports themselves are not included in the cruise fare (you pay port charges, which are calculated by the time you are in the port), as long as you received all the amenities in the cruise fare and the captain and crew made every effort to keep passengers safe, then why should anyone be compensated? I am so proud of Carnival in how they handled this and the provisions that have been made for the different sailings... they have been very fair. Now, are they going to charge the people that ended up having a couple extra days? LOL... this is just something you risk when booking during peak hurricane season... there are always going to be those that groan and moan about everything... and those are the ones that should book at a different time of year, but I'm sure there will be something to complain about then too...

I'm happy that all of you got home safely and made the best out of the situation... let's hope all the others make it back safely too and that those that have REAL problems make it through safely (ie, the people whose homes and lives and jobs are in danger....)

And no, this is not directed at anyone on this thread... just a general statement....

TaxijoeLV, I think you ought to be reading the posts before you reply to them. I don't see where ANYONE on this thread asked for compensation for the changes made. Sounds like they made the best of the situation!

And speaking as one who experienced a changed itinerary due to Hurricane Mitch in '98, I understand their disappointment at missing ports that they were excited about!

We booked a cruise on the Pride back on 9/14/02, I was concerned about cruising during hurricane season since we always cruised in the past during March and May.

We were right in the middle of the Talent Show when the Captains announcement was made that we would be missing the last port of Progresso. There were a few moans when we were told we'd miss Progresso, but when he announced we'd be docking in Freeport, everyone cheered.

Arriving in Freeport caught all the people there off-guard, everything was pretty much closed up, but when the people caught wind that we were there, they hurried up and opened up their shops.

It was a wonderful cruise, and since then I've always cruised during hurricane season. No worries!

I can understand how many people plan their vacations around school and work and this falls during the hurricane season. Knowing this they should realize these things happens. It seems as if those expecting a great cruise made the best of things. If you travel a positive attitude helps make a good time. At least everyone was safe aboard the ship. The captain and cruise line have a great responsability for the crew and passangers.

It will be interesting to see if Carnival does anything for the people on this cruise as we did not get to the original ports and tours were not the best.

Glad to be home.

What pray tell SHOULD Carnival do for the people on this cruise? They were kept out of harm's way and the captain and crew did the best they could to give everyone as pleasant a journey as possible, all things considered! Neither Carnival nor any of the other cruise lines can control the weather. From what I've been reading, Carnival has stood head and shoulders above the rest when it came to keeping their passengers safe and happy during these unfortunate weather-related encounters.

Seems by some of the posts following mine that people think I was complaining about cruise. I wasn't complaining at all...we had a great time..ship was wonderful, food good and entertainment was spectacular. We had an okay time in Nassau, beatiful day in Port Canaveral and nothing but flies in Freeport.

However, there were some things that Carnival could have improved on after the decision was made to change ports..but as I said Marcus, the tour director did the best he could..and I do not think it unreasonable that the passengers should or could be compensated somewhat for what happened by Carnival.

Will I cruise again, you bet. Will it be on Carnival, yes indeed. The Captain and his staff did a wonderful job in keeping us informed from start to finish and made our trip very pleasant. I will try for the ports we missed again sometime in the future....

Can't wait to start planning the next cruise.....

For some people the cruise is just the mode of transportation to get to port A,B,and C. When the ship alters its ports it is not unreasonable for people to not be happy.I would not be happy if they altered an itinerary, and I would use the guarantee to get off the ship.

Steve

For some people the cruise is just the mode of transportation to get to port A,B,and C. When the ship alters its ports it is not unreasonable for people to not be happy.I would not be happy if they altered an itinerary, and I would use the guarantee to get off the ship.

Steve

And go where????? It was a HURRICANE!!!!!! Would you rather they keep the original itinerary and risk not only your life but the thousands of others on the ship as well as the crew? Where would you go? The ports in those areas were closed as they were experiencing a Category 4 hurricane. How in the world is this Carnivals fault? Had they cancelled the cruise, you would have people up in arms... how in the world can they win?? :rolleyes: They had no choice. Book during hurricane season and this kind of thing can happen. Carnival did the best thing they could have done. They chose to switch the itinerary and keep the passengers safe.... shame on them :rolleyes:

CK and LL, glad you guys made it back safe and had a nice time!

Seems by some of the posts following mine that people think I was complaining about cruise.

QUOTE]

In your original post you said, "it will be interesting to see if Carnival does anything"....hence the feedback...:confused: ....what would you expect they do?

They've done all they're gonna do. Dolly :)

And go where????? It was a HURRICANE!!!!!! Would you rather they keep the original itinerary and risk not only your life but the thousands of others on the ship as well as the crew? Where would you go? The ports in those areas were closed as they were experiencing a Category 4 hurricane. How in the world is this Carnivals fault? Had they cancelled the cruise, you would have people up in arms... how in the world can they win?? :rolleyes: They had no choice. Book during hurricane season and this kind of thing can happen. Carnival did the best thing they could have done. They chose to switch the itinerary and keep the passengers safe.... shame on them :rolleyes:

CK and LL, glad you guys made it back safe and had a nice time!

GC,

I agree with you fully.There is nothing that CCL could have done and they did the right thing by going elsewhere.That is why, I would have used the guarantee. Hurricain season is a risk and I have been caught by them, but not while sailing CCL.

At the first port I would get off and take a land vacation instead. I take 2 cruises and 2 land vacations a year so this is my plan B. In this case I would have flown to Vegas for several days.

Steve

I agree with Taxijoe. U take a chance you have to pay. You did eat and sleep and other wise use the ship. PS. last year wife and I sailed to Bermuda. The weather sucked till the last day heading home. We had a great time on the ship. I never asked to a dime.

Hello, my husband and I have a cat. 9 baclony room on the Miracle in October but haven't seen any pictures of it...except for on older ships. how does it compare to the cat 8? Did you take any pictures of it yourself....if you have any information at all as to the difference please let me know. This is a part of my pre cruise addiction....finding out every single possible piece of information that I possibly can.

Glad you had a great time on your cruise!!!

vermonter16

I have been reading the threads how upset people are sometimes when the itinary is changed.

Please be aware they don't know for sure where IVAN will land but they did tell us here in Florida that it is most unusual for a storm to be bordering on a CAT 5 this far out in the Atlantic. We are praying it will not visit Florida next W/E as we have just gone thru some not so fun days. We feel very lucky compared to the people in the Bahamas and the East coasters. Lots of flooding around here but, this too will pass.

Safe crusing to all. We look forward to being on the MIRACLE Nov. 14th.

Kate & Buck

I feel they did the right thing. Last year the same thing happen to us. We sailed 1 year ago Friday. Hurricane Isabel was making herself right at home in the Virging Island and we went to Nassau Freeport and Key West. Had great weather at port and in between but the sea days were BAD. Now let me tell you I am not to crazy about the ports but made the best of it. Now I wont say I wont go back. I was not prepared. If you are going on a cruise you get prepared and find info about that port. I did not do that so I could not get the best out of the ports. Still Its for the best. I would not want that cruise to be my last because I wanted to explore the port during a hurricane. The Big Red Boat was there last year too.

Archived