Amsterdam and Anne Frank House

I know this has been discussed before, but I would like some confirmation about how to get from the Centraal Station in Amsterdam to the Anne Frank House.

Looking at the map for the Hoho shuttle

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/stopgomap.aspx

it looks like that would be a good way to get to the Prinsengracht where the Anne Frank House is. However, the new shuttle route goes along the back of the train station. Is that easy enough to find?

Are there trams that we could take or is the "Stop/Go" shuttle the quickest?

I know this has been discussed before, but I would like some confirmation about how to get from the Centraal Station in Amsterdam to the Anne Frank House.

Hi there Lair Bear!

We just made an online reservation for Anne Frank House. Our e-tickets give the following directions from Centraal Station: Trams 13, 14 or 17. Stop is Westermarkt. The Amsterdam Transit site gives routes & schedules:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/Museumsandattractionsmap.aspx

Sorry I can't help with the HOHO or shuttles.

Thank you, Mighty Quinn, for your reply. I thought you would be at least packing for your cruise, and here you are answering my questions.

Our plans in Amsterdam are to go by train to the Zaanse Schans in the morning and when we get back to Amsterdam we want to go to the Prinsengracht area where two of our four want to see the AFHouse. We are in the process of reserving a spot for two, while the other two want to explore 'de Jordaan' with its little alleys and courtyards where so many artists and poor people enjoyed their way of life during the last four centuries. That is where (I believe) Rembrandt spent his last few years.

Again, let us know how you 'fared'.

Bon Voyage.

I was in Amsterdam this weekend and it is easy to get to the Anne Frank house by cab and not too expensive. It is best to get the tickets online as there can be a long line for them, By the way, we walked to there from the Central Station and it took about 20 minutes.

I thought it might not be too far from the stain station and a twenty minute walk is nice overthere. I am sure we can find our way along some canals and scenic spots along the way.

I hope you had a good trip and enjoyed Amsterdam.

PS. Us bears have to stick together, you know. But, be careful of the ones that just woke up from a long nap!!!

Central Amsterdam is very compact. It's easy walking distance, and also eas to walk to everywhere else in central Amsterdam.

Looking at the map for the Hoho shuttle

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/stopgomap.aspx

it looks like that would be a good way to get to the Prinsengracht where the Anne Frank House is. However, the new shuttle route goes along the back of the train station. Is that easy enough to find?

If you donot intend to use the HoHo shuttle for the rest of the day, but only to get to/from Ann Frank house, you better take a tram.

Lines 13 and 17 go from Centraal Station, get off at Westermarkt, about 3 or 4 stops later. Inside the trams you will find maps that indicate what stops there are. Walking will take about 20 minutes, bring a good map if you want to make shortcuts. Or check B4 and B4 of this map:

http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

You will find the cruiseterminal at B5.

As you will see nothing is really far apart.

To expand a bit on what Globeliser and Ine just mentioned:

Here is a map showing one way that you might consider when walking from the train station (Centraal Station shown at the top) to the Anne Frank House (shown far left just below the Jordaan).

The red line route would go by the Schreier Toren (Wailing Tower, where the wives of sailors would say their goodbyes), along some of the oldest, small canals to the Oude Kerk (Old Church).

Just south of the church is the Red Light District and then to the Dam or central square with the palace, etc.

You indicated that you might go along the Lelie Street and Lelie Gracht. That would take you to the Prinsen Gracht where the Anne Frank House is.

The distance is just over a mile, so it is an easy walk.

Enjoy.

Amsterdam%205.jpg

BTW if you go to Google Earth and really zoom in on the Anne Frank House, you can see the roof with the white crossline at the back of the house. That is the "apartment" where the people stayed. You can also see two windows one of which is probably where Anne Frank spent a lot of her time thinking and dreaming.

We will be in Amsterdam in two weeks! We're staying an extra day when they ship returns and this is on my daughter's list to see. (we are taking daughters ages 15, 16 & 20).

I see you can buy tickets on line but I hate to commit to a certain hour (you buy them in blocks of hours. noon-1, 1-2, etc....). We have to get off the ship and get settled in our hotel so I really don't know what time to chose. I guess we could take one late in the afternoon and do other things in the mean time.

I'm sure Anne's house will be a tear jerker but I think it's a must see for all of us.

Glad to hear someone else is interested in walking through this area of the city - it's beautiful and a great relief from the mobs of tourists in the more central area.

While you're exploring you might want to visit the Houseboat Museum. It's not large, but we found it very interesting. When you see all those barges and houseboats as you sail into Amsterdam, you can't help but wonder what the living quarters are like. There's also a nice little cafe right across from the museum - a great place to sit with a beer and people watch.

http://www.houseboatmuseum.nl/

We will walk and enjoy.

Thanks for the Google map 12B@C. Looks like that would be an interesting way to get there.

Luvnorway, you are right about the Jordaan. My wife and I have been to Amsterdam before, done the canal trip, Anne Frank House and the Rijksmuseum. So while our friends are at the AF House, we want to explore the Jordaan district on foot.

Anyone who wants to know more about that area might go to the following two web sites that give detailed information and some great photographs. The second one also has a good map of the 'hofjes' or little courtyards.

http://www.21stcenturyamsterdam.com/jordaan.html

http://www.jordaanweb.nl/indexcom.htm

<<<The red line route would go by the Schreier Toren (Wailing Tower, where the wives of sailors would say their goodbyes), along some of the oldest, small canals to the Oude Kerk (Old Church).

Just south of the church is the Red Light District and then to the Dam or central square with the palace, etc.>>>

A small correction. The Old Church is actually in the midst of RLD, the ladies are facing this interesting church. If open do visit it (I mean the church). Outside donot make photos of any persons walking around there...

On Schreierstoren you will see a plaque memorising Henry Hudson left from here by order of VOC to find a different way to get to the East Indies. He ended up on what was later named New York as you know.

On the Holland America Line logo you will still see a replica of his small ship Halve Maen (Half Moon).

In august 2009 festivites will take place in Amsterdam and NY since this happened 400 years ago. More about this on: http://www.henryhudson400.com/index.php?lid=2&sid=1

We will be in Amsterdam in two weeks! We're staying an extra day when they ship returns and this is on my daughter's list to see. (we are taking daughters ages 15, 16 & 20).

I see you can buy tickets on line but I hate to commit to a certain hour (you buy them in blocks of hours. noon-1, 1-2, etc....). We have to get off the ship and get settled in our hotel so I really don't know what time to chose. I guess we could take one late in the afternoon and do other things in the mean time.

I'm sure Anne's house will be a tear jerker but I think it's a must see for all of us.

I really advise you to prebook tickets, lines can be very long.

However at the end of the day lines are often shorter.

Let your daughters read the book before for better understanding.

Archived