Which books are you taking to Alaska?

nothriver

I'm starting to assemble my packing lists and I'm short on space and over on weight in the suitcases. Hmm, books are heavy and bulky.

I have:

1lb 10oz Alaska Cruise Handbook

1lb 5oz Alaska by Cruise Ship

12oz Fodor's Alaska Ports of call '09

9oz Frommers Alaska Cruises '09

7oz Alaska's Inside Passage Wildlife Viewing Guide

I'll definitely take the Wildlife book but I'm not sure if I really *need* any of the others.

I bought the Cruise Handbook specifically to take, but since I already read it twice, I can probably leave it at home. I probably shouldn't have opened it until we left, lol.

Wondering which books other are taking along?

I've found that many of the Alaska guides really only have a few pages worth of information for my itinerary. Why not photocopy the needed pages? That way, the books don't weigh you down and your originals don't get damaged.

I've found that many of the Alaska guides really only have a few pages worth of information for my itinerary. Why not photocopy the needed pages? That way, the books don't weigh you down and your originals don't get damaged.

Totally agree, this was going to be my suggestion, too. I usually reduce the pages so that I can print 2 side by side on an 8 1/2 X 11 page, and print on both sides of that piece of paper. And I print on a really lightweight paper, too.

The only books I take are a couple of paperbacks for fun reading:)

One gets put in the outside zippered area of my carry-on and the

other goes in my crossbody bag for reading on the plane.

I don't bring any "tour type" books with me.

I'll be taking my new Kindle! Just got it for Mother's Day / birthday. Looking for books to download before heading out. Won't have to worry about the weight issue for flying. I'm so excited!!!

I might take Fodor's...its been at my bedside for a year and have read many parts of it several times. More important will be to print the walking maps I have for each port. Also have coupon books for Alaska and one for Vancouver. Both are good size and could be passed on to someone just arriving if I need the luggage space/weight. Also two or three paperbacks to pass time on long flights, also which can be left behind.

Great ideas! I will get to copying the info I need, not sure why I didn't think of that.

I ordered one of the Sue Henry books and will look for more second hand. I also ordered one called the Thousand Mile War for my dad, he seems very interested in the Alutian WWII history. I'm going to take a look into some of the other books mentioned.

I'm taking:

1) Alaska Cruise Handbook

2) Milepost

3) Walking tour book

4) 2 paperback fiction books

Ugh - this is getting heavy...

You'll notice in my original post, I weighted each of my books to help decide which to take along, lol!

I took lots of books with us and didn't end of using them. We did use some of the maps that I printed before our cruise. In each and every town that we went to they had detailed maps once we got off the ship. I wish I had just copied the extra information that I might have needed.

The wildlife viewing guide would be something that would go into the suitcase. Another thing people don't mention are flower books. We saw tons of flowers that I had no clue what they were.

Just started reading it, might be half-way through by the time the cruise comes on June 27. If you know Michner you know that the paperback is printed margin to margin, about 8 pt type and probably 2,000 pages. It's a good one though, grabbed my interest right away, and already I've learned so much.

I have the Alaska by Cruise book, not sure I'll take it, didn't find too much useful in there, might copy some pertinent pages.

I think I have most all the tour books previously mentioned. I started my own book a few months ago. I have typed info for each port or land stop on a separate page in sheet protectors. When I get to that city, all I have to carry is that one page or packet, & leave the rest in the suitcase. But I will be taking some light mystery to read on the plane along with the Sudoku.

Geez ... you all are bringing too many books. Why would you want to spend all that time looking at black and white print when you can look up and enjoy the real thing ? :rolleyes:

Geez ... you all are bringing too many books. Why would you want to spend all that time looking at black and white print when you can look up and enjoy the real thing ? :rolleyes:

I'm a single mom, so I'll be sitting on my balcony reading after my kids go to sleep. I normally spend a couple hours before bed online. Reading will be a nice change of pace. Not sure what anyone else's excuse is, though.:cool:

I'll be taking my new Kindle! Just got it for Mother's Day / birthday. Looking for books to download before heading out. Won't have to worry about the weight issue for flying. I'm so excited!!!

Beware the first month book bill. My Sis got a Kindle for Christmas and her bill for books that first month ran to almost the cost of another Kindle.:)

I will do all my trip research before hand and then see what happens. Books, or as I call them, crack, are my addiction. I have a separate Amazon wish list dedicated just to books to read onboard. My darling BF laughs that I bring a veritable library with me. You'd be amazed how much reading can be done while multi-tasking the iPod, an umbrellaed beverage, and a book.

There's certainly something to be said for an E1 cabin on an Alaska cruise. I can just imagine hanging over the balcony watching the glacier go by as the captain pulls "donuts" in the water.

The same said balcony is a great place to hunker down over a good book before a good nap before another night of fun and frolic.

How many more days? 58, I think. Big sigh.

Hey Nothriver, I'm with you! Nothing better than having a good book to get lost in while the kids are sleeping. I'm an early riser, and LOVE to have my quiet time reading. This thread has got me going, I've got to get some good paperbacks for all of us-and I like the Alaska theme idea. Helps to have them when we have "downtime" at the airport, hotel, and our room on the cruiseship. :) I know the ships' libraries are also very famous for having lots of books, so we should all remember to keep that in mind.

We sailed on Norwegian Pearl. I took one paperback, then discovered the llibrary on Deck 12. Scads of new novels, picture books, anything you want. No charge to check them out. For puzzlers, library has daily crossword & Suduko.

Archived