PurpleTraveller

Members
About Me

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

PurpleTraveller's Achievements

1,000+ Club

1,000+ Club (7/20)

1. On my 2022 cruise Stromboli was on the port side when heading south to the Messina Strait and on the starboard side when heading north after passing through the Messina Strait.
  2. I was on Reflection in June 2022 and went to Katakolon (Olympia), Corfu, Dubrovnik, Messina, Naples and Kotor. If you are interested I did a review of the cruise. I took Celebrity excursions in Messina and Kotor and the rest I DIY'd. I will also be going on Constellation this June to many of the ports and will be doing a review on my return. https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2865871-the-adriatic-and-italy-on-celebrity-reflection-june-3-2022/#comments
  3. Last June we had 5 ships (one was a small ship) in Skagway, 5 in Juneau and 3 in Ketchikan. In Skagway we did an excursion to the Yukon where it wasn't crowded. In Juneau we went to the Mendenhall Glacier early in the morning where it wasn't very crowded and stayed away from the city centre when we returned to Juneau as it was absolutely jam packed with cruisers. In Ketchikan we got off the ship early and visited Creek Street before the crowds and then did a hike. Maybe going out early will help with avoiding some of the crowds. It seems that many places that cruise ships go to are getting busier and more crowded. I must agree with @NutsAboutGolf about Norway. I went to Norway in June 2019 when the sun didn't set for four days. It was one of my favourite cruises and I would love to go back again one day.
  4. I was there in June 2022 on a Sunday and the train was not running and there was no one at the port exit selling tours or bus trips. We met up with another couple who were also waiting at the train station and we got a taxi to Olympia. It cost €80 (so €20 per person) for the taxi to drive us from Katakolon to Olympia, the driver to wait two hours for us and then drive us back to Katakolon. We bought entry tickets to Olympia at the ticket booth and there was no line. It was a great day.
  5. I should also have mentioned that there are a number of different dock locations some of which are further away from the old town of Stockholm. Please check the website for details of the dock location for your particular sailing.
  6. You can check where your ship docks on the Ports of Stockholm website. https://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/ Not knowing what date you are docking there this is an example of one of the Caribbean Princess visits. If you do dock at Stadsgarden S167 it is the closest dock to the old town of Stockholm. When we were there in 2017 the HOHO Bus stopped at the dock and there was also the HOHO ferry. We walked to the old town from the dock. We simply followed the blue line painted on the footpath and it took about 25 minutes. This is the old town from the dock.
  7. I was on Reflection in June 2022 and loved the Sunset Bar. I didn't find the seats uncomfortable whether at the bar itself or at a table or a bench. It was our favourite place to have a drink at any time of the day or night!
  8. Thank goodness you checked back with Celebrity and picked up their mistake. It could have been a headache you did not need! Hopefully everything now goes smoothly for you and you have a wonderful cruise. 🛳️
  9. Not sofietucker, but If you look at the cruise itinerary you are interested in on the Celebrity website it shows which ports are docked and which ports are tendered. These are screenshots from the website of the cruise that I will be doing next month. Livorno is close to the dock and there is a shuttle to the town as there is no pedestrian access. The shuttle was free in 2022. Many passengers do a tour further afield to places such as Florence (a long way from the port), Pisa and Lucca. Portofino you tender to the town. Naples you dock right in the city but many go on tours to Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast or Capri. Messina you dock right in Messina but many go on tours to Taormina or Mt Etna. Brindisi you can either dock in the city or further away but there is a free shuttle to the city. A recent cruiser on Constellation reported that they docked at the further location and got the shuttle. Kotor you tender to the city and the dock is directly across the road from the old town. Kotor has the most beautiful sail in and out through the Bay of Kotor. If you go to Dubrovnik you dock away from the city centre. There is a shuttle that cost USD15 return in 2022 but I have seen reports that it is free this year. Split you dock a little way from the city but it is within walking distance. Zadar you dock outside of the city centre and there is a shuttle that costs USD15 return or USD8 one way. The whatsinport website is a good source for information on the ports for each location and things to see and do, so that further research can be done. I will be doing a review after my cruise so can provide more information then.
  10. Love your report on your tour to Pyrgos and beautiful photos. I will be doing the tour next month and also booked during the Black Friday sale. Looks like we will have a great day in Santorini but then again I always have a great time there. We will also be walking down the donkey trail again as we have done it twice before with no issues and find it better than standing in the cable car line. Thank you for your wonderful review. I have enjoyed it greatly! Have a safe trip home.
  11. In June 2022 we got a taxi to Olympia because the train was not running. We shared with another couple that we met at the train station. It cost €80 (€20 each) for the ride to Olympia, the driver waited for us for two hours and then drove us back to Katakolon.
  12. When I was in Katakolon in June 2022 we went to Olympia by taxi and walked up to the ticket booth and bought our tickets. There was no queue and we walked in immediately.
  13. Glad you got it sorted and you got a great price. My transfer from the ship to Ravenna train station in July is USD16.99 per person.
  14. I don't know if you have seen the Turkey government visa website. You are correct to try and get this confirmed. Maybe you could send them an email to ask. https://www.visa-turkey.org/turkey-e-visa-requirements-for-cruise-ship-visitors/#:~:text=Tourists arriving in Turkey by,eVisa%2C based on their nationality.
  15. I was in Livorno on a Sunday in June 2022. Almost everything was closed other than a few cafes. We walked around, visited a few churches before the Sunday services started and also went to the Fortezza Nuovo. We got the port shuttle to Livorno at 10.10am and were back on the ship at 1.20pm. This suited us as it was the last day of the cruise and we had to check in for flights and pack and had been to Florence, Pisa and the Cinque Terre previously. You may be better to plan a trip to Pisa or Lucca unless you would just like a short stroll before returning to the ship.