About Me

• Interests
    Cruises
  • Favorite Cruise Line(s)
    Princess, Holland America, Celebrity
  • Favorite Cruise Destination Or Port of Call
    Caribbean

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

geoherb's Achievements

10,000+ Club

10,000+ Club (5/15)

• "Live from...." Rare
  • "Live from...." Rare

Recent Badges

1. It doesn't hurt to ask. Just be careful that you understand if there are any implications, such as losing OBC. I have basically stopped playing the game and wait until after the final payment date to book my cruises.
  2. Here are a couple of photos I took of the icebergs while the ship was in Nanortalik. My friends who went on a small boat tour said it was spectacular. I booked the cruise too late to do any of the excursions. Everything was sold out--both through Princess and private.
  3. I did not need a heavy coat. I wore a light-weight jacket (Columbia brand's Glennaker model). The temperature was in the low 50s.
  4. It was not required after Oct. 1, 2022, according to this article on Cruise Critic: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/everything-alaska-and-canadian-cruisers-need-to-know-about-arrivecan
  5. August. I did a live thread but would be happy to answer any questions I can. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2873693-live-caribbean-princess-to-canada-and-greenland-august-15-31-2022-geoherb-goes-solo-again/
  6. I booked a guarantee inside two days ago for a cruise that's in 16 days. I'll be checking two or three times a day until I get a cabin assignment. My last cruise was 10 days in an inside cabin, and I had a great time. But an upgrade to an ocean view or balcony would be great. I received a great upgrade to an oceanview from an inside guarantee the last time I sailed on the Island Princess Princess has already sent me two emails about the availability of bidding for an upgrade. Like you, I'm booked as a solo and don't want to pay double for that opportunity. It was $170 for me to bid for an upgrade to an obstructed view cabin and $720 to bid for an upgrade to a balcony.
  7. We've found it easy to do most of the ports on a cruise to New England and Canada on our own. I just booked the June 4 cruise on the Island Princess. I barely glanced at the excursions offered. Everything is way more than I want to spend. I'm going to have a great time doing my own thing--always making sure I get back to the ship in plenty of time. (The ship has three 6 p.m. departures and one 9 p.m. one, so that will make it easy.)
  8. I took the 16-day Greenland cruise on the CB two years ago. We had some dishes repeat on the menus, but not whole menus repeated. We missed our first port, unfortunately. That meant that the guest entertainers we were going to pick up there did not make it on the ship. The ones already on the ship performed additional shows of new material. When we've taken transatlantic cruises, we had guest performers do more than one show as well with the second show being new material.
  9. I sailed on the Island on a partial Panama Canal cruise before the refurbishment. When I booked back-to-back cruises a couple of years after the refurbishment, I was concerned about the lack of public space. The Universe Lounge was one of the places we had loved on our first Island Princess cruise. But I had a great time. I enjoy the wide, walkable outside Promenade Deck. That's the feature I miss the most on the Royal and newer ships. I'm booked to sail on the Island on June 4. It's a strange itinerary--Halifax, Boston, Norfolk, and Charleston. There will be some passengers disembarking in Boston--and others getting on the ship that day. The great thing about the itinerary is that the port days alternate with sea days. One bad thing is that we'll be in Norfolk on a Monday, when the Chrysler Museum of Art is closed.
  10. It's sad. There's no way to fall off a balcony under ordinary circumstances. One has to be fooling around, jump, or be pushed. A friend of mine in college used to climb around on the outside of the balcony rail of our dorm. It scared me to see her doing that, but kids don't realize how dangerous such stunts can be.
  11. This is the first time I've heard of a major cruise line bumping people involuntarily since the Carnival debacle out of Baltimore several years ago. Usually the cruise lines will keep upping the offers to people until they free up enough cabins. For example, we once received an offer from Princess to cancel our cruise and receive a free equivalent cruise two or three months later along with the cruise fare we paid as refundable onboard credit. We were already on the ship before we knew about the offer--and could not have taken them up on it because of our vacation schedule. But we heard from people on our roll call who did.
  12. Will NCL allow a bottle of liquor to be brought on the ship at embarkation and store it until the end of the cruise? It doesn't look like it on the FAQ page. The cruise leaves from Iceland.
  13. Here's the Patter from a sea day on our transatlantic cruise in 2019. There were lots of activities. They offered the pop choir, pennywhistle lessons, trivias, a book club, lectures, and a wide variety of other activities. I enjoyed having the teen center open occasionally to play skeeball. There weren't many teens on that cruise. Someone on our Cruise Critic roll call organized a separate book club. We read Where the Crawdads Sing and Dan Brown's Origin. The a large part of the plot of the latter book takes place in Bilbao, one of the ports on the cruise.
  14. Here's a link to the list of prizes that lists this experience: https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/princess-prizes-terms-and-conditions/